FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

It really is refreshing to see a bloke , decide hes happy where he is , Barnsley would have surely doubled TBs salary at least !!.

The Scottish and English leagues are full of players and managers alike who were doing really well at a Club .. move on (for more money most times) and fail miserably

Pretty surprising to see him stay but encouraging.  Hopefully the likes of Tudor-Jones and Shinnie see this as a sign to renew their contracts, although younger, more ambitious players are likely to want to move on more than a relatively settled older manager.

Have to agree, with TB staying hopefully the younger players see his loyalty and feel they can commit longer term as well and that short term cash isnt always the best option. Perhaps they could be directed to said Adam Rooney from the BBC interview as an example of that scenario.

It really is refreshing to see a bloke , decide hes happy where he is , Barnsley would have surely doubled TBs salary at least !!.

Very much "at least"....I'd imagine it was maybe more like a multiple of 4 or 5 times given that they were saying it was the best financial offer they (Barnsley) had ever made to any manager.

Blatantly and unappologetically stolen from Rob Wright on FB.

There's a very good chance Rob stole it from someone who stole it from CTO on Facebook....although, in fairness, I stole it from someone on Twitter an put in on there!!! :lol:

This thread has moved on a bit since my last post.  The reason I haven't posted on this thread for a couple of days is that I've been in Yorkshire.  I was phoned by a brassy Barnsley divorcée who was looking for a new "companion" .  She said that if I took up her offer I would get double portions of roast potatoes with my roast beef.

Despite being a happily married man I must admit that it sounded like an attractive proposition.  In any case, I felt it would be rude not to at least listen to what she had to say.  So I flew down South and spent a couple of days in "discussions" during which she made very clear exactly what she had to offer.  Wow!  You should have seen the size of her Yorkshire puddings!  I have to say I was really tempted.  It was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make.  But at the end of the day I decided that there's a lot of good things happening up here and in truth I'm happy enough with my wife's Scotch Pancakes (even if I only ever get "Flora Light" on them).  So I thanked my brassy Barnsley belle and came home.

And what a welcome I got!  Unbelievable!  Everyone was saying what a wonderful chap I was.  What a gentleman I had been in having the courtesy to go and listen to what the nice lady had to say about her kind offer, and what a wonderful loyal man I was in turning down the offer and staying in the bosom of my loving wife and family.  Mind you, there was some odd quine from up the road who gave me dog's abuse and questioned my integrity - but there's always one, isn't there?

As for my wife, she said very little.  When I first told her I had received the offer she shrugged and said that if I thought I could do better elsewhere she wouldn't stand in my way.  She didn't say much when I came back either.  Whilst everyone else was slapping me on the back and saying what a great guy I was, she simply issued a statement which said she was glad I was back and that I had intimated I would be honouring our marriage contract (don't know where she got that from!).  Some have interpreted that statement as a "hands off" warning to other admiring ladies - but I know better. It's a "stay boy" warning!

Naturally after this episode I've been careful to say all the right things.  I've been talking to everyone who will listen about how wonderful my wife is and how many things we want to do and achieve together and ....

Sorry to cut this short but I'm going to have to dash.  Another plane down to Yorkshire, would you believe!  I've just had a phone call from a dusky Doncaster doll who was whispering something about toad in the hole in the most sultry of tones!  Of course, I'm really happy here, but I guess I'd better go and check out how the Doncaster gravy compares with that in Barnsley - after all, it's the honourable thing to do.

• Agree 9

This thread has moved on a bit since my last post.  The reason I haven't posted on this thread for a couple of days is that I've been in Yorkshire.  I was phoned by a brassy Barnsley divorcée who was looking for a new "companion" .  She said that if I took up her offer I would get double portions of roast potatoes with my roast beef.

Despite being a happily married man I must admit that it sounded like an attractive proposition.  In any case, I felt it would be rude not to at least listen to what she had to say.  So I flew down South and spent a couple of days in "discussions" during which she made very clear exactly what she had to offer.  Wow!  You should have seen the size of her Yorkshire puddings!  I have to say I was really tempted.  It was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make.  But at the end of the day I decided that there's a lot of good things happening up here and in truth I'm happy enough with my wife's Scotch Pancakes (even if I only ever get "Flora Light" on them).  So I thanked my brassy Barnsley belle and came home.

And what a welcome I got!  Unbelievable!  Everyone was saying what a wonderful chap I was.  What a gentleman I had been in having the courtesy to go and listen to what the nice lady had to say about her kind offer, and what a wonderful loyal man I was in turning down the offer and staying in the bosom of my loving wife and family.  Mind you, there was some odd quine from up the road who gave me dog's abuse and questioned my integrity - but there's always one, isn't there?

As for my wife, she said very little.  When I first told her I had received the offer she shrugged and said that if I thought I could do better elsewhere she wouldn't stand in my way.  She didn't say much when I came back either.  Whilst everyone else was slapping me on the back and saying what a great guy I was, she simply issued a statement which said she was glad I was back and that I had intimated I would be honouring our marriage contract (don't know where she got that from!).  Some have interpreted that statement as a "hands off" warning to other admiring ladies - but I know better. It's a "stay boy" warning!

Naturally after this episode I've been careful to say all the right things.  I've been talking to everyone who will listen about how wonderful my wife is and how many things we want to do and achieve together and ....

Sorry to cut this short but I'm going to have to dash.  Another plane down to Yorkshire, would you believe!  I've just had a phone call from a dusky Doncaster doll who was whispering something about toad in the hole in the most sultry of tones!  Of course, I'm really happy here, but I guess I'd better go and check out how the Doncaster gravy compares with that in Barnsley - after all, it's the honourable thing to do.

A brilliantly drafted analogy - but the flaw is that marriage is expected to be for life whereas football management clearly isn't.

Reverting back to analogy mode, your wife has only agreed to stick with you for another 16 months, at which point you are both free to part company. Or, if at any time you put in a string of sub-standard Saturday performances with her, you are likely to be dumped without hesitation and replaced by a younger man who can give her more satisfactory results. She's probably already got her eye on somebody. Possible even a list of them. And in the interim, Grassa could step in to cover your marital duties - it wouldn't be the first time.

She might actually be a little disappointed that you didn't decide to go off with that Yorkshire floozy. She'd get hundreds of thousands of pounds out of it and would have dozens of men queueing at her door, enthusiastically offering their services and desperate to fill her......vacancy.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 5