FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Summer Football

seattleict

Summer football. Discuss.

I used to play football in the summer in G'town. The weather was good. Granpa's arthritis didn't bother him and he could take the full volleys like the good old days when he was at Celtic. It didn't snow much between May and August and the sheep weren't grazing in your back gardeeeen. Rubbeeer bumpeer...sorry couldn't help it.

You can actually grow grass in the summer I believe and it doesn't get dark until 9-10 o'clock at night. It might be even later if you live in Alness.... What the hell are we doing playing football in the winter months when we are at the same latitude as Juneau. Don't tell me about the Gulf Stream. At the moment the Arctic has oscillated it somewhere else.

Can you imagine the beauty of thrashing County 7-0 at Victoria Park on a warm balmy evening... the County fans in their caravans, the smell of canvas, camp stoves, the sight of scabby dogs, the odd county fan playing his penny whistler and maybe, just maybe County being relegated back to the 2nd Div after the game. Not being too harsh am I...

What would we do in the winter I guess... thrash those Canucks at curling of course and then beat the Austrian's in the Slalom (perhaps not!)

Edited by seattleict

I'm 100% for summer football now. I don't say this because of the current weather, I say this because of the current state of our game. It's unfortunate to have to say, but I don't think the national side is ever going to make it to another major competition in the foreseeable future - When I was growing up, Scotland playing in major tournaments was almost a given. Geopolitics have had their part to play with the fall of the Soviet Union and the former Yugoslavia leading to the creation of nation states with good footballing sides. Look at the case of the ROI not making it to the World Cup due to that handball incident - we, like the ROI, are being squeezed out. Perhaps if we went to watch football in the summer, more youngsters may actually PLAY it as opposed to sitting on their PC on MSN, or 360 / PS3 / Wii. They might go to parks and emulate their heros - LDZ - wanting one day to score a winning goal against county with a stunning overhead kick. We should be doing more to encourage youngsters to take up the game. If we can, then maybe we'll start qualifying for major tournaments again in the future and the issue of summer football would pose a problem.