FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

World Cup Top Scorer

Harry Chibber

Right I picked Villa ?2.50 e/w @ 9/1 odds and received ?9.38 winnings .... i.e p!sh

He is still technically top scorer so I am struggling to see how it's worked out with such a small pay out

tbh it's probably a very simple calculation but I'm struggling .. any help would be appreciated

cheers

Right I picked Villa ?2.50 e/w @ 9/1 odds and received ?9.38 winnings .... i.e p!sh

He is still technically top scorer so I am struggling to see how it's worked out with such a small pay out

tbh it's probably a very simple calculation but I'm struggling .. any help would be appreciated

cheers

Thomas Mueller was top scorer,you have been given a percentage of your winnings for e/w i.e third or fourth

cheers

Thomas Mueller was top scorer,you have been given a percentage of your winnings for e/w i.e third or fourth

Mueller is top scorer as per fifa ivo assists

My bet had nothing to do with assists it was purely made on goals scored and Villa is top goal scorer but shares the prize... no?

As it was a tie they must be applying their "dead heat" rules, whatever they are.

see that's the impression I had and I was hoping there was some mathematical wiz prepared to show the calculations (for a jens lehman) to how my ?5 bet made on odds of 9/1 (all be it e/w) have only paid out a piddly ?9.38, less than evens!!!! :(

Edited by Harry Chibber

As it was a tie they must be applying their "dead heat" rules, whatever they are.

see that's the impression I had and I was hoping there was some mathematical wiz prepared to show the calculations (for a jens lehman) to how my ?5 bet made on odds of 9/1 (all be it e/w) have only paid out a piddly ?9.38, less than evens!!!! :(

Well im certainly no mathematical wizz but that seems a bizarre amount to get back. It depends on the bookies payouts for placings but 1/3 odds would have got you ?10 back, 1/4 odds ?8.125 back and 1/5 odds would have got you ?7. The only thing i can think off is that certain bookmakers online offer a cashback type deal where every unsuccessful bet placed they will give you a small amount back so that may have added to the winnings?

I may be completely wrong though

I had ?20 on Spain / Villa Double @ 18 / 1 - still waiting for winnings to come through........not sure what it might be. If he scored last night it would have been ?360, but I think I will get around ?100,unless someone can shed some light on the dead heat rules

From the FIFA website;

Thomas Muller?s opening goal for Germany against Uruguay in the third-place play-off proved enough to earn the Bayern Munich starlet the adidas Golden Boot. Muller finished on five goals at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, but claimed the top scorer accolade thanks to no fewer than three assists, leaving him ahead of Spain marksman David Villa and Dutch hitman Wesley Sneijder, both of whom finished on five goals but with only one assist apiece.

From what ive heard so far, bookies only seem to be paying out on who actually wins the award, not on Villa or Sneijder even though they had the same goals.

Just got this message thorugh form Will Hill -

With five goals each, four players including David Villa tied as top goalscorer in the World Cup so we had to settle that market as a four-way dead-heat. This has led to some confusion as to how to settle the Top Goalscorer/Tournament winner market.

It didn?t seem fair to enforce the dead-heat rule because many of the bets on Villa/Spain would have actually resulted in customers? bets being a shorter price than Spain were to just win the tournament at the time.

So we?ve taken the decision to settle the market according to table below which results in every bet returning higher winnings.

For example:

If you placed ?10 on Villa/Spain at 18/1 your settlement with this method will be ?70.Enforcing a 4-way dead heat rule (Your stake is divided by the total number of players tied and then paid at the full odds), your bet would have been settled as ?47.50.

Here is the table explaining how we will settle your bet but please accept our apologies as this is being completed manually and should be done by the end of today.

Price Taken Price Settled

9 / 4 2 / 1

8 / 1 5 / 1

9 / 1 4 / 1

18 / 1 6 / 1

etc etc

Sorry for being a simpleton (and I really am when it comes to betting odds) but if Villa was second top scorer my odds must have been better than evens for an each way bet if starting at 9/1... or not??

Can't get onto skybet at work so will email them for a breakdown when I get home but I can't believe it's such a small payout

Thanks for your email.

Firstly you were returned ?14.38, ?9.38 of which was profit.

The bet was settled on dead heat rules as there were 4 top goal scorers, meaning you get 1/4 your stake @ 9/1. So you had ?0.625 @ 9/1 and ?2.50 @ 9/4 (the place part).

?0.625 @ 9/1 = ?6.25

?2.50 @ 9/4 = ?8.13

Giving a total of ?14.38.

That's the reply from Skybet, first time I've used them and didn't see they seperate the profit from stake on the returns page.

Makes sense I think although if they are returning my original stake as seperate from the profit I would have thought:

original stake ?5 in total

?2.50 split 4 ways @ 9/1 = ?6.25

?2.50 @ 9/4 = 5.63

Total = ?16.88

????

not really bothered for a couple of quid but trying to get an understanding of how it works more than anything.

The bet was settled on dead heat rules as there were 4 top goal scorers, meaning you get 1/4 your stake @ 9/1. So you had ?0.625 @ 9/1 and ?2.50 @ 9/4 (the place part).

This is the key sentence in their reply. Because of the dead heat rules your ?2.50 stake on the win part of the bet was divided by 4 making your stake ?0.625. You got this at 9/1 giving profit of ?5.625, plus your stake of ?0.625 = ?6.25.

The each way part of the bet was settled at 9/4. Your stake was ?2.50 giving profit of ?5.625, plus your stake of ?2.50 = ?8.125 (rounded up to ?8.13). Total retrurn = ?6.25 + ?8.13 = ?14.38

So they have'nt done you out of ?2

This is the key sentence in their reply. Because of the dead heat rules your ?2.50 stake on the win part of the bet was divided by 4 making your stake ?0.625. You got this at 9/1 giving profit of ?5.625, plus your stake of ?0.625 = ?6.25.

The each way part of the bet was settled at 9/4. Your stake was ?2.50 giving profit of ?5.625, plus your stake of ?2.50 = ?8.125 (rounded up to ?8.13). Total retrurn = ?6.25 + ?8.13 = ?14.38

So they have'nt done you out of ?2

yip, I knew my higher maths would come in handy one day :rolleyes:

nice one

thanks for your help