FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness C.T. -V- Dundee Utd

Scotty

Much better performance from the team today. Good to see Raven back in the right back berth and paired up again with his wee pal Doran, who is so much more effective on the right hand side. Thought Shinnie and Polworth did alright in the middle of midfield. Didn't have a good feeling when Nick stepped up, didn't think he had been playing overly well. I just wish whoever takes our penalties would just blast them. Seen far too many weakly hit pens saved.

Oh and Dean should bin those yellow boots.

As much as i like Nick Ross i have to ask has he got what it takes, he has a long run playing behind Billy but has yet to score from open play and overall his goals to games played is a joke. Really not suited to the role , thought he was better out wide more space to play and not get muscled out by the centre halfs.

Him and Doran both need to get the hunger back and do not deserve first picks every week.

Greenhalgh and Christie for me next week please.

Terrible attendance again wtf is going on thought we had over 3000 season ticket holders where are they??

Think they said at least 900 from Dundee makes it even worse less than 2000 home supporters where do we go from here?

It was like a kickabout in the local park the atmosphere has been sucked out of the place what a contrast to the midweek cup game a couple of months ago

Think they said at least 900 from Dundee makes it even worse less than 2000 home supporters where do we go from here?

It was like a kickabout in the local park the atmosphere has been sucked out of the place what a contrast to the midweek cup game a couple of months ago

Don't care what was announced there was never 900 in the away stand today. It only holds about 2000 so don't know where this figure came from?

• Agree 1

Maybe if some on this forum spent as much time getting behind the team rather than the constant carping against certain players, the atmosphere would be better. I cannot believe some are saying Doran should be dropped after todays performance, for me he was MOM. While I am not Nick Ross's biggest fan, I thought he did okay today. He is the one player always looking for space and often is the player making himself available to take the ball, especially from throw ins. He does need to man up and get into challenges a bit more although he does win the ball quite a bit when he does tackle.

Still on the subject of Nick Ross, I have 2 beauts sitting in front of me who do nothing but sit and shout abuse at Nick Ross from the kick off. I had a go at them twice today and they eventually shut up but some fans do need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Agree 3

Looked more like 200 away fans, I'm sure someone will know the official figures. St Johnstone had the same rubbish attendance at their last home game. Why are crowd figures such a surprise to some people, early start, Sunday, general apathy, on the Telly, Scottish football, it's no rocket science.

No matter what our personal opinions are of our own team, the game in Scotland is poor fare overall.

Huisdean, but some fans do need to take a long hard look at themselves.............is that the ones that think local lad Nick is our saviour.

I have voted Nick MotM on numerous occasions when merited. Granted missing the penalty was the low point of his game today, which otherise was not too shabby, I just don't think we can carry him for much longer, he is beginning to be a protected species and a bit of a luxury in my opinion, and my calling for him to be replaced when others are available is not just based on a penalty miss, one which neither the fans or Nick himself looked too pleased he was taking it. One of his two penalties should have been saved.

It's not his fault, we just have no better/other options at the moment, but he is no match winner, local or not.

• Agree 2

I've personally never rated Ross's penalty taking ability at all.  His last two previously may have gone in, but they weren't exactly well hit.  The first against Hibs was very close to being saved and on another day would've been.  It was pure luck that the keeper didn't get enough of a hand on it.  The Morton one was much like todays, luckily for him the keeper dived the wrong way.  Just because they went in, doesn't mean they were well taken, or make him a good taker.  I've always had a fear he'll miss, each time he steps up.  Should Vincent or Foran not be on the field, I'd like to see Meekings taking them, rifling it hard a la David Luiz at Chelsea.

Doran by the way, showed today that he is a right winger and that alone.  A better performance from him today, while Williams did seem to grow more into the game as it went on and is clearly more suited to the wing.  Despite this, we looked a lot more threatening when Greenhalgh came on and I'd be keen to start him ahead of Williams next week.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

A decent point that stops the rot but I can't see us catching either Aberdeen or Motherwell so European qualification through the league is now unlikely. All the more reason to compensate by going all out to win the League Cup or to try to qualify for Europe through the Scottish Cup. I still think we will have just about enough to stay in the top six,

Can't fault today's team selection or, for the most part the tacticts, Polworth will be a player but is probably not quite first team quality yet. We are lucky to have the exremely versatile Graeme Shinnie who looks comfortable in every roll he's given.

I actually thought Ross had a decent game and is being unfairly criticised but it was a poor penalty although I understand why he took it as he had slotted home the last two. However, in the absence of Vincent, maybe we should revert back to Billy. I know that he missed a couple in a row before he was relieved of the duties but he's the natural goal scorer and should maybe be given another chance.

Finally, Brill is a great shot stopper but today he was lucky and not for the first time. He cost us at least a point with his howler against Partick and possibly all three and has got away with a few since. Maybe time to give our new goalkeeping coach a run.

In the continuing absence of Draper and Foran, we are light in midfield, if we are going to bring in Tansey on loan it would be good if we could do so this week. He has been playing fairly regularly so will be match fit so I would slot him in straight away against the Dons.

All in all, we were far from our flowing best today but we could and should have taken all three points and it was probably our most encouraging performance under the new manager.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 3

The game is on "Sportsnet World" here in the Vancouver are of Canada at 3 p.m. Pacific Standard Time--that's in  about 2.5  hours from now. That's the former Setanta I understand.  That's channel 235 in  HD Scotty....at least for Shaw Cable.

I wonder if someone can tell me if Setanta still broadcasts in Scotland  or the U K under that name?

Now I know the score I will be looking at the T.V. just to weigh-up what all of you have said .

Although I must admit I am excited since this will be the first time I have seen a fulI ICT game here on the High Definition T.V.. And the Aberdeen game on the 18th is also running on this channel --not live, but the full game will be shown later at 3 p.m just like today. 

I could get used to this.

I'm figuring that the  Irish likes the Scots and particularly Inverness......probably because we play Irish players and give then their chance? Any opinions on that?

Or is it just that they can get a good deal with Caley Thistle or something?

Cheers guys :wave:

• Agree 1

Improved performance in my opinion and it should give the platform for Yogi to now progress, seemed to be a bit more fight in the players today which has been missing of late

Shocking attendance though which must be getting a bit alarming for the board, not sure what crowd we need to break even but it's concerning

Dougal

Overall a much better performance than of late. Why has it taken Yogi 4 matches to realise that Raven should be in the team? Doran was much better on the right with back up from him and Warren wasn't forced to cover for Shinnie.

The last penalty we scored was taken by Doran. It was in the cup v Morton, after Nick Ross had been subbed. However, I agree with Renegade that Josh should take them.

I also think Dean Brill has to stop clowning around. He has let in some soft goals in the last few weeks and nealy lost a howler today. No wonder Ryan came racing out the dug-out to warm up after that one.

Still we can't win a game with a Sunday lunchtime kick off. At least not that I can remember. Doesn't bode well for the LC semi on 2 Feb.

Edited by Row S
  • Agree 1

Maybe if some on this forum spent as much time getting behind the team rather than the constant carping against certain players, the atmosphere would be better. I cannot believe some are saying Doran should be dropped after todays performance, for me he was MOM. While I am not Nick Ross's biggest fan, I thought he did okay today. He is the one player always looking for space and often is the player making himself available to take the ball, especially from throw ins. He does need to man up and get into challenges a bit more although he does win the ball quite a bit when he does tackle.

Still on the subject of Nick Ross, I have 2 beauts sitting in front of me who do nothing but sit and shout abuse at Nick Ross from the kick off. I had a go at them twice today and they eventually shut up but some fans do need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Fair enough to have a go at folk who shout abuse at players at a game but I fail to see what is wrong with making objective criticism of players on this forum.  If this forum is not for expressing opinions then what is it for?  I don't think it is supportive to the team simply to praise the praiseworthy and keep quiet about aspects which are not so good.  If folk feel particular players are not making quite the contribution to the team as they should be and feel there are better options, then it is surely supportive to the team to voice those views. 

Nick Ross has been a "promising" player for a number of years but IMHO has not lived up to that promise.  He has some nice little touches but rarely makes a particularly telling contribution to the game.  He has now had a long run in the team and in my view the team needs someone rather more creative and incisive and with an eye for goal.  I can't see that we would be any worse off by giving Christie or Pepper a decent run in the side.

If all our players were available then I would put Shinnie back to left back and play Vincent, Draper, Foran, Doran, Watkins, and Mckay.  With the option of Tremarco at left back releasing Shinnie into midfield as well as the availability of Greenhalgh, Christie, Pepper, Williams and Polworth then Ross would struggle to even get on the bench.  TM4J's suggestion of putting him out on loan is a sensible one in my view.  Personally I feel Ross is not quite up to the standard required, but if he does have the ability to justify him being selected ahead of these other players, it is not being translated into performances on the park.  A period on loan at a lower level may just give him the opportunity to shine and gain a bit of confidence.  In my view that would be supportive of both him and the team.

No doubt others will leap to Nick's defence and that would be good.  That is what the forum is all about.  Support the players on the park however bad they play, but please let's not stifle honest opinions about the players on this forum.

• Agree 3

Just seen the highlights there;  what on Earth is Nick Ross doing for the United goal?!  Casually leaning against the post and by the time he's moves, the ball's in the net.  Had he made more effort and moved over quicker, he could've kept it out.

Fair enough to have a go at folk who shout abuse at players at a game but I fail to see what is wrong with making objective criticism of players on this forum.  If this forum is not for expressing opinions then what is it for?  I don't think it is supportive to the team simply to praise the praiseworthy and keep quiet about aspects which are not so good.  If folk feel particular players are not making quite the contribution to the team as they should be and feel there are better options, then it is surely supportive to the team to voice those views. 

Nick Ross has been a "promising" player for a number of years but IMHO has not lived up to that promise.  He has some nice little touches but rarely makes a particularly telling contribution to the game.  He has now had a long run in the team and in my view the team needs someone rather more creative and incisive and with an eye for goal.  I can't see that we would be any worse off by giving Christie or Pepper a decent run in the side.

If all our players were available then I would put Shinnie back to left back and play Vincent, Draper, Foran, Doran, Watkins, and Mckay.  With the option of Tremarco at left back releasing Shinnie into midfield as well as the availability of Greenhalgh, Christie, Pepper, Williams and Polworth then Ross would struggle to even get on the bench.  TM4J's suggestion of putting him out on loan is a sensible one in my view.  Personally I feel Ross is not quite up to the standard required, but if he does have the ability to justify him being selected ahead of these other players, it is not being translated into performances on the park.  A period on loan at a lower level may just give him the opportunity to shine and gain a bit of confidence.  In my view that would be supportive of both him and the team.

No doubt others will leap to Nick's defence and that would be good.  That is what the forum is all about.  Support the players on the park however bad they play, but please let's not stifle honest opinions about the players on this forum.

I largely agree. It is good to be positive and supportive of the team and club as a whole when there is justification but, in some ways, it's even more important to be able to be critical when that is justified.

There is a body of posters on this site who seem to feel it's their duty to be protective of the club and blind to, or as least ignoring, faults whether obvious or not. Often posts that are not syncophantically  supportive are berated for being 'negative' with no discussion about whether that negativity is justified the suggestion that being off message at all is a bad thing per se.

The likes of Caley D and the likes of Dougal may be at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the extremes of blind and unquestioning loyalty and constant, often unjustified carping and negativity with the vast majority of us somewhere in between but, as long as we are all respectful of other's differing view that's what makes this site worth visiting.

Speaking of different opinions, I don't agree with you about Nick Ross. He is, like a number of others, not in the best form at the moment but, in my view, is now a mainstay of team and has the potential to continue to be for many years to come.

We both can't be right on that but we are both entitled to voice that opinion without jumping down each other's throats for holding contrasting views.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 2