Highland League expansion

SMEE

I see the Highland league are planning expanding their membership. Banks of Dee are applying for a place. I dont think this should be allwowed. There are far too many east coast based teams as it is, none of which are even in The Highlands! Wonder if Inverness City will apply?

I see the Highland league are planning expanding their membership. Banks of Dee are applying for a place. I dont think this should be allwowed. There are far too many east coast based teams as it is, none of which are even in The Highlands! Wonder if Inverness City will apply?

I would imagine that this would be unlikely, given that a Highland League team costs a minimum of around ?50,000 a year to run. There are between 2 and 5 clubs interested. If 5 were accepted that might open up the possibility of 2 leagues of 10 but that would have to be approved by the member clubs.

Sandy Stables the Highland League chairman also told the BBC that, although he was in no way pre supposing anything Elgin might or might not want to do, he thought they would be welcome back in the Highland League should they wish to apply.

The truth of the matter is that the Aberdeenshire based juniors who are considering membership are much better resourced than any potential candidates from the north.

There's nothing new in that just look how successful Inverurie and Cove have been since they entered the league compared to Fort William and Wick who are the most recent entrants from the Highlands proper.