FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

D.E.P. -how can one close it down?

Scarlet Pimple

Can anyone help me on these three problems please?

DEP or Data Execution Prevention keeps closing my Internet Explorer 8 claiming an error.

It does not specify the error, nor the possible faulty Active X or ADD-ON which may or may not be the cause , but offers ways to control this type of thing.e.g. "go to DEP and enter I. E. into the exceptions box".I have done this again and again but it makes no difference. It still states that I.E. is a problem and needs to be closed.Then of course you lose the whole site and so it's back to the desktop.

Not only does it happen on the ICT site frequently but on other sites as well.It has become a real time waster and very irritating.Does anyone know how to close off this DEP thing completely since I really do question it's value?

The second question I have is how do you get rid of the name of a former programme which has been completely deleted but still shows the name in the "Add/Remove" list of current programmes in the Control Panel. I have tried everything from CC Cleaner, using the start/search to find remnants but am unable to find a way to delete this .

Internet Explorer has a very annoying pop-up at it's start up--a big blue box offering you Accelerators and a way to set it up etc. I have gone through this several times and set it up the way I want it but this box keeps coming back every time...and back...and back. It's as if it won't accept your settings or something unless you accept all of their offerings , most of which is just padding and advanced ways of using it that I neither need nor want?

If you phone Microsoft you get two calls and then they start charging you money for each sunsequent call and I found that the people who are answering the calls are not very knowledgeable anyway and can waste your time as much as anything.

Many thanks in advance . :lol:

Re DEP--I have been putting IE8 into the exceptions box of the DEP site but then clicking "Apply". Then I tried simply clicking "O.K." instead of "Apply" which is beside it and it seems to have worked.Keeping fingers crossed on this one. So far so good.

As for the other two queries is anyone on here able to comment at all ?

At least about the Internet Explorer "set-up Pop-Up" which always comes on the screen whenever IE8 comes up.It is so annoying.?

Thanks .

The only reason I can think of that it would keep popping up is if you're using a temporary profile - but you'd probably notice other problems as a result of that so it's probably not the issue here.

How was IE8 installed? Did you download the file and run it as an executeable or was it installed through Windows Update?

The control panel thing - I think this Microsoft KB article might be what you're looking for: KB247501

Jay 7--that KB article is confusing to say the least. I don't think I will attempt it unless I have a really good sleep and the day dawns mild, sunny and balmy. Right now the humidity inn Vancouver is again climbing relentlessly.But thank you for bringing my attention to it.

Re IE8 I went to a site and downloaded it separately (not from Automatic Updates )then run the exe. file. I still retain the exe file in my storage file on the desktop along with the IE7 exe file .

Re the temp profile --if you mean from the initial set up with this pop-up , then yes I did try a truncated version of the set-up but ,when the pop-up kept comimng back, I gave in and tried to install everything that they offered just about but to no avail. Same old, same old.

Any further thoughts--like go back to IE7 which was actually working fine. LOL ?

Jay 7--that KB article is confusing to say the least. I don't think I will attempt it unless I have a really good sleep and the day dawns mild, sunny and balmy. Right now the humidity inn Vancouver is again climbing relentlessly.But thank you for bringing my attention to it.

Re IE8 I went to a site and downloaded it separately (not from Automatic Updates )then run the exe. file. I still retain the exe file in my storage file on the desktop along with the IE7 exe file .

Re the temp profile --if you mean from the initial set up with this pop-up , then yes I did try a truncated version of the set-up but ,when the pop-up kept comimng back, I gave in and tried to install everything that they offered just about but to no avail. Same old, same old.

Any further thoughts--like go back to IE7 which was actually working fine. LOL ?

I too have had problems with instances of IE8 installed from the exe file. The way I sorted it was to uninstall it and allow it to be installed through Windows Update. Not had any issues since.

Unfortunately editing the registry will be the only way of getting rid of that program from the add/remove programs list. I think I've given you the wrong KB article though, that one is for older operating systems. This one applies to Windows XP.

Jay 7

However, I have now managed to get rid of the Uniblue Registry Booster 2009 programme entry in the Add/Remove section of the control Panel. Here is how I did it:-

I went online , sought out the programme from their site and tried to install it.--to avail since it stated that it could not install it due to not being able to reference the network location. Go figure! ???????????. This happened twice more when I repeated the process. My thinking was that if I could install it again then I could remove it from the start/programmes list if they had an uninstall exe. listed there, thus avoiding using thje uninstall button in the Add/Remove section which might not work again for me.

Therefore I decided to go to CN Downloads which have always had top notch marks from me. Lo and behold , searching for this programme on their site it came up with a link which I downloaded onto my desktop then attempted to run it to install the 2009 version.s The response from it was to tell me that it would have to uninstall a previous version first which it had detected (clearly the one lone entry which I was trying to remove). So I said ...be my guest .. then it removed the programme name from the ADD/REMOVE list and I simply went back and deleted all the download since I had no intention of installing it for use anyway.

Now this route sure avoided the tortuous Registry scan and delete process which to me is ,and would possibly be, dangerous.

Still getting the pop-ups--given up on this one I think?

Bye for now

Jay 7

However, I have now managed to get rid of the Uniblue Registry Booster 2009 programme entry in the Add/Remove section of the control Panel. Here is how I did it:-

I went online , sought out the programme from their site and tried to install it.--to avail since it stated that it could not install it due to not being able to reference the network location. Go figure! ???????????. This happened twice more when I repeated the process. My thinking was that if I could install it again then I could remove it from the start/programmes list if they had an uninstall exe. listed there, thus avoiding using thje uninstall button in the Add/Remove section which might not work again for me.

Therefore I decided to go to CN Downloads which have always had top notch marks from me. Lo and behold , searching for this programme on their site it came up with a link which I downloaded onto my desktop then attempted to run it to install the 2009 version.s The response from it was to tell me that it would have to uninstall a previous version first which it had detected (clearly the one lone entry which I was trying to remove). So I said ...be my guest .. then it removed the programme name from the ADD/REMOVE list and I simply went back and deleted all the download since I had no intention of installing it for use anyway.

Now this route sure avoided the tortuous Registry scan and delete process which to me is ,and would possibly be, dangerous.

Still getting the pop-ups--given up on this one I think?

Bye for now

Glad that worked for you. I didn't think that would as I've tried it in the past with Blackberry Desktop software without success.

So to confirm, you've removed the IE8 instance installed by the exe, and it's now installed through Windows Update but you're still getting that first start thing?

There are a few things that you could try but I am not sure how effective any of them will be.

First, try clearing all of your Internet temporary data and cookies, then go through the setup window that appears.

If that fails - repeat the above in Safe Mode with Networking.

Have you tried changing your home page?

Have you tried running IE8 as Administrator, completing the first run screens then retrying running IE8 normally?

Is there anything installed that's protecting registry changes? Obviously UAC in Vista does this - but some Security suites do this as well and may be preventing the changes being saved properly.

Jay 7

I successfully deleted IE8 but now Microsoft are perpetually dumping another pop-up onto my desktop begging me to re-install it. Go figure.

I tell you, sometimes you simply can't win. I have no idea how to stop this pop-up at all but believe me ,I have tried.

Have a nice day. Grin.

If you get too technical with me I am afraid I can't follow you Jay 7. e.g UAC in Vista ? No idea ,I run Xp not Vista which I don't fancy since I have heard that it is not worth it and it costs too much anyway. Bigger better and more up to date is not always the best as far as I can see. I fell for this by installing IE8 thinking that it would be more quick and functional etc but this is not the case at all.Pain in the butt more like for me . Now I am back with IE 7 I feel more comfortable.

Thanks for your efforts to help though Jay 7 Apreciated.