FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

More than just a game.....

Libero

As i left the house this morning for work i glanced at the P and J and noticed an article saying that if we had got through to the next round of the cup we could of had £300k added to the coffers.

In this day and age where football clubs are run as a business' interest this result could be more damaging than i initially thought. Its gonna be hard enough for the players to pick themselves up after such a deflating event but the reveleation that we have missed the chance to earn a bundle is equally disappointing.

I really hope Charlie can rally the troops for this weekend. Come on lads!

CUP DEFEAT COULD COST CALEY JAGS £300,000 

08:50 - 27 February 2007

Caley Thistle have been left counting the cost of their dramatic Scottish Cup defeat by Celtic on Sunday.

Missing out on a semi-final spot in the cruellest of circumstances has hit the club hard in the pocket.

Inverness director of football Graeme Bennett said: "It could cost us around £300,000 - that is what we would have got from a semi-final tie and it is a huge amount for a club of our size.

"First and foremost we are still hurting from losing a tie we did enough to win. We felt if we could get past Celtic we could go all the way to Hampden."

Caley Jags were leading for most of the game thanks to a Graham Bayne goal and looked set to complete a hat-trick of wins over the Scottish champions in the competition.

Goals from Steven Pressley and Kenny Miller in the last two minutes of the game allowed Celtic to snatch victory from the grasp of their stunned hosts.

In addition to the financial hit there could also be a football penalty to pay.

Midfielder Roy McBain is having a X-ray on his hand to see if he can face Dundee United in Inverness on Saturday.

McBain came off at half-time against Celtic in some pain from the injury.

Caley Jags manager Charlie Christie said: "We'll see how Roy is but, meanwhile, my lads have to recharge their batteries after such great effort and commitment.

"We lost the tie but can take pride from that performance."

Caley Thistle return to action today with a home Scottish Premier Reserve League fixture against Dunfermline. The game will kick-off at 2.30pm.

edited to include p and j article

Its going to be tough but the lads just have to pick themselves up and go all out to win their remining fixtures it an attempt to secure a top six place and the extra dosh from the sponsors. It would also give us another couple of potentially high home gate figures to increase the coffers.