FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

web hosting

Feb82000

hi am buying a new web site hosting for my ghosthunting what is best one to go for

linux hosting or windows hosting

a business plan am geting from easyspace

so i can upload all my video and photos

Edited by feb82000

hi am buying a new web site hosting for my ghosthunting what is best one to go for

linux hosting or windows hosting

a business plan am geting from easyspace

so i can upload all my video and photos

Given what you've posted, it's impossible to recommend either. More info is required on the software you'll be using on your hosted site. Things to consider are things like:

What content management system (if any) do you intend to use?

If this is going to be a for a business are you going to be getting revenue via advertising on your site or through sales from an E-Commerce solution?

What kind of percentage up-time do you realisticly expect as a minimum?

Are you going to need any SQL databases? If so, how many will you need?

What storage capacity are you going to require to host all of your photos and videos? Consider room for growth in the future as you gather more photos and videos.

That's just for starters, there's loads more that I've over-looked here.

hi its just for my use and get big hosting space

as am going to be doing loads of vigils round scotland from january onwards and most haunted live halloween 2009 in scotland so looking for a good host

I can recommend plenty of hosts but I am still no closer to being able to recommend Linux or Windows based hosting for you.

Good hosts:

1&1

Streamline

Rackspace (Very Expensive)

Bad hosts:

Namesco

Edited by Jay_7

as Jay_7 has said, you have not really qualified or quantified exactly what you need.

I assume you want to allow download or streaming of the videos and photos you take so you need to consider the size of them and how many visitors you will get. Each file uses up storage space when you add it to your site and each viewing of a picture on site or download of a picture or video uses bandwidth. If you are going to have a lot of viewers you will need relatively high numbers for that.

Our hosting here for example allows virtually unlimited bandwidth and storage which makes life easier for us. Even when we were metered, we had sush a high allowance that we didnt need to worry about it.

As for Windows or Linux hosting, my personal preference is for linux but that is because the software we use is easier to configure and less fiddly on a linux host. It can be hosted on windows but there are a few additional quirks .... nothing that a good provider should have any problems with however. For your own hosting, you need to figure out what software you are going to use and look at its requirements, and perhaps go to the developer websites and read some of the forums to see what real world issues people have had with different hosts or types of hosting .... a little research will help make the right choice !

am going to post all my video on to your tube then embed them into my web page

and i have a photo gallery as well to put all my photos into it

geting a new sony dsl camera soon

went for windows pack in the end

will let you no how get on with it

comes with free web site editor