FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tactics for Next Season

Renegade

You always hear of how teams need to change their tactics for the SPL, so what tactics do you think ICT need to employ for next season and how big a change are they from before? Would the 4-2-3-1 system work or would it need to be shelved? Would an out-and-out winger like Johnny Hayes be as effective as he has been?

For me, I think some changes could be needed. Obviously some new signings need to be made, I feel a more counter-attacking style may be the best option. I think the 4-2-3-1 may have run it's course and perhaps a 4-3-3 or even a switch back to 4-4-2 maybe the way forward, with ICT bringing teams onto them, and then hitting them on the break. Playing the continuous long ball, or playing a park-the-bus style would be a mistake. I believe it was one of the factors that cost ICT in season 08/09 and the team perhaps would've stayed up, had it not been for Craig Brewster's god-awful style of getting ICT to punt the ball long at every opportunity. For away games I'd favour a return to 4-4-2 or the current system of 4-2-3-1 (should it be a team that needs to be contained).

What's needed for next season -

1 Back Up Goalkeeper

1 Right Back

1 Centre-Back

1 Left Back

1 Right Winger

1 Creative Midfielder

1 Striker

What style and tactics do you think ICT should deploy next season?

Edited by Renegade

butcher should stick with his 4-5-1 formation as its what helped us win th league nd our impressive 21 game unbeaten run nd 9 game wining streak! :D

i wonder who caley are gonna sign for next season, need to be alot of players cause butcher got rid of 6!

post-5427-1273521105_thumb.jpg

I prefer the 4-2-3-1 formation as it's very versatile and can be adapted far easier than the conventional 4-4-2.

For more defensive minded games you can pull it back to 4-5-1 and have your wingers push forward when attacking on the break and that would allow your 2 sitting men to still be effective should you get caught atacking. While defending it packs the midfield and hopefully stops teams playing in the centre of the pitch and resort to long ball. Obviouly with this you are relying on your full backs reading the game well and not getting caught from the long ball or quick counters leaving the centre backs exposed.

Teams playing 4-4-2 in my opinion find it difficult to deal with the one sitting AMC player as he floats and can pull either a midfielder or defender out of position leaving space for the wingers to run into and feed the striker.

I think sticking to the tried and tested 4-2-3-1 is better to start with and if it doesn't work then change it, look what happened this season when the team got used to a formation and starting line up.

I'd start with a 4-2-3-1, switching to a 4-1-3-2 if needed. Partly depends on who we get as players. Under Brew's players, I favoured a sweeper system (Proctor as sweeper, with Tokely and DZ as wing-backs) but we've not got those players at the moment, so that is currently out.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Renegade started this thread.

I do agree with some that 4-2-3-1 should still be used but we will need a Plan B for some games, i,e old firm.

In terms of personnel required in the summer, Renegade has it spot on.