FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Invershneckie (it's the fuckeen business)

CaleyD

Brilliant stuff but I'm not sure that the "ocksents" are absolutely classic "Unvarness" as I've known it for the last 50 odd years. There's something just a little too refined about some of the consonant sounds, they come from just a bit too close to the front of the mouth and there's maybe also not quite enough glottal stop. There's also a tiny classic Invernessian inflexion at the beginning and sometimes in the middle of some words, a wee bit like a grace note on the bagpipes, that seems not to be there.

In contrast, the phonetics of that brilliant Inverness poem we all had a great laugh at a few years ago are just that wee bit more authentic to me.

On the other hand maybe the Inverness accent has evolved a bit since I was a lad and I've also always wondered if what you might hear on the West side of the river (which is arguably closer to "old Inverness") is maybe a wee bit different from the East side where things have maybe been a little more diluted by incomers?

But whatever, the "ocksents" on that track do strike me as being subtly different from what I might, for instance, hear down the Clach Park - or indeed by sitting between Jud and Striker in the Caley Club on a Saturday night! :biggrin:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Brilliant stuff but I'm not sure that the "ocksents" are absolutely classic "Unvarness" as I've known it for the last 50 odd years. There's something just a little too refined about some of the consonant sounds, they come from just a bit too close to the front of the mouth and there's maybe also not quite enough glottal stop. There's also a tiny classic Invernessian inflexion at the beginning and sometimes in the middle of some words, a wee bit like a grace note on the bagpipes, that seems not to be there.

In contrast, the phonetics of that brilliant Inverness poem we all had a great laugh at a few years ago are just that wee bit more authentic to me.

On the other hand maybe the Inverness accent has evolved a bit since I was a lad and I've also always wondered if what you might hear on the West side of the river (which is arguably closer to "old Inverness") is maybe a wee bit different from the East side where things have maybe been a little more diluted by incomers?

But whatever, the "ocksents" on that track do strike me as being subtly different from what I might, for instance, hear down the Clach Park - or indeed by sitting between Jud and Striker in the Caley Club on a Saturday night! :biggrin:

dont know weather this is tounge in cheek or not but you dont half know how to make folk smile lol

scuse the spelling lol

dont know weather this is tounge in cheek or not but you dont half know how to make folk smile lol

scuse the spelling lol

No, no - take it as it says on the tin. I'd claim to be quite a serious student of the history and culture of our "Suttee" and that includes the "ocksent". In that respect I, for instance, find that there's a lot more than cheap drink to be sampled and enjoyed on a Saturday night at "Tha Collee Klab an' Tha Leejun".

Former Inverness District Councillor Dr. Michael Gregson (who was actually a staunch supporter of giving the money to ICT) went as far as writing a book about the way they speak in "Dungwull". It's called "The Cant and the Crack".

Oh, and it's been quite warm and sunny here today lol :biggrin:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 3 weeks later...

scuse the spelling lol

No, no - take it as it says on the tin. I'd claim to be quite a serious student of the history and culture of our "Suttee" and that includes the "ocksent". In that respect I, for instance, find that there's a lot more than cheap drink to be sampled and enjoyed on a Saturday night at "Tha Collee Klab an' Tha Leejun".

Former Inverness District Councillor Dr. Michael Gregson (who was actually a staunch supporter of giving the money to ICT) went as far as writing a book about the way they speak in "Dungwull". It's called "The Cant and the Crack".

Are you sure it's cant Charles?

scuse the spelling lol

you may be able to settle a wee argument we had at work then charles. in the census what was meant by the term scots in the language question ?

i took it to mean the local dialects such as invernesian, aberdonian etc etc

Google it!

9. Why does the census ask about the Scots language?

In consultation on the content of the 2011 Census questionnaire, information about languages, including the Scots language, was frequently requested.

The Scots language is also one of the UK minority languages covered by Part II of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages, which was ratified by the UK Government in 2001.