FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What Is It To Be Scottish?

Lady Madonna

Four Sailing Ships Brought my family and many others from Scotland to Canada in the year 1815.

Almost 200 years later we still think we are Highlanders . Its in the Blood and I guess the mind.

We still use the same names Malcolm , Duncan etc etc , We wear Kilts on all the Highland days-

St Andrews ,Highland games etc.

You can take the people from the Highlands but you can not take the Highlands from the people.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I aint bashing yanks at all. It's just in some countries (mostly the middle eastern ones) if a local finds out your American they'll most likely blow your head off in the first given opportunity.

Thanks to Tony Blair it's not just Americans that would suffer a fate like that.

Who's Scottish apparently.

But is it just me, or has this whole patriotic Scottish pride malarky become far more prominent in the last few years. Patriotism is a choice, but it seems to me that it has become far more expected of everyone than it ever was before and not to being a patriotic type is looked at as being just plain wrong.

Edited by Renegade

I aint bashing yanks at all. It's just in some countries (mostly the middle eastern ones) if a local finds out your American they'll most likely blow your head off in the first given opportunity.

Thanks to Tony Blair it's not just Americans that would suffer a fate like that.

But is it just me, or has this whole patriotic Scottish pride malarky become far more prominent in the last few years. Patriotism is a choice, but it seems to me that it has become far more expected of everyone than it ever was before and not to being a patriotic type is looked at as being just plain wrong.

Patriotism's been around ever since an English king tried to ban everything Scottish. The Scot. more especially the Highland Scot, defied the bans, continued to speak his language, continued to wear his plaid, continued to sing the songs and play the tunes.

We are proud of who we are because of what we've come through over the centuries. We are loved the world over. We are envied.

Incidently Renegade it was the Turks who are said to have invented the first form of the bagpipes and oats has been the staple diet among the highlanders for as long as the history of our land and people have been recorded. Long before we even knew there were other lands.

Scotland, for me, is eagles and grouse, hills and cliffs, midgies and clegs, the changing colours of the seasons, the people, the pride and the passion.

Guest birdog

Being Scottish is about being morose to have been the first nation which was over run in England's march to become the largest empire this world has ever seen and yearning for the day to come when we will be the last nation to leave their sorry little union.

Patriotism's been around ever since an English king tried to ban everything Scottish.

And I'm not really talking about centuries ago I'm talking about the last few years.

The Scot. more especially the Highland Scot, defied the bans, continued to speak his language, continued to wear his plaid, continued to sing the songs and play the tunes.

Well isn't that nice, except for the tunes. Them pipes shoulda stayed banned.

We are proud of who we are because of what we've come through over the centuries. We are loved the world over. We are envied.

Well I aint proud of it one bit.

Incidently Renegade it was the Turks who are said to have invented the first form of the bagpipes and oats has been the staple diet among the highlanders for as long as the history of our land and people have been recorded. Long before we even knew there were other lands.

I didn't say that it wasn't eaten, I said it was invented ie - the first to do it.

Scotland, for me, is eagles and grouse, hills and cliffs, midgies and clegs, the changing colours of the seasons, the people, the pride and the passion.

Scotland for me is rain, freezation, neds and so on.

Being Scottish is about being morose to have been the first nation which was over run in England's march to become the largest empire this world has ever seen and yearning for the day to come when we will be the last nation to leave their sorry little union.

It'll never happen.

Guest birdog

It'll never happen.

I am sure there were a few Imperialists who said the same about the break-up of the British empire in the late 1800s :lol: