FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What Is It To Be Scottish?

Lady Madonna

Rather than sitting an end of semester exam at uni, I have to create a portfolio of photographs that could be used to advertise the Homecoming 2009 celebrations. I have lots of ideas buzzing around my head but what represents Scotland to me will be very different to others. I don't want to submit an entire portfolio of men walking around in kilts or people playing bagpipes. There is so much more to show but first I want to get a broader idea of what "Scottishness" is.

So...

What represents Scotland to you? What makes Scotland different to other countries? What is it you love most about Scotland?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, what a question ...... To me, my answer to that question is now very different than it would have been had you asked me six years ago when I emigrated.

To me Scottish is what you are, its in your bones, its part of you. I have always felt that way.

I know a lot of people over here see "Scottish" as Haggis, Bagpipers, Tartan, Kilts, Deep Fried Mars Bars and such like but to me its a lot more than that .....

Its the scenery which is beautiful, its the water you can drink straight from the tap without a filter, its the pride in a nation that has produced explorers, scientists, engineers and even politicians who have shaped mare than their fair share of the modern world, its Irn Bru, its Taggart, its Caley Thistle, its using a pub as a social gathering place rather than the local Tim Hortons*, its the home of Golf, its a place where I just feel right when I get off the plane, its all these things and more ...........

*Tim Hortons - Basically a Canadian Icon. Its a coffee shop favoured by most Canadians, and one of the defining pieces of Canadiana to actual Canadians rather than the stereotypical icons such as Mounties, Lumberjacks, and Maple Syrup that people associate with Canada in the same way as non-Scots think we walk about in Kilts eating Haggis and listening to pipe tunes on our iPod.

What a question - and what a project for Lady Madonna...

I hope this thread will run and run - it could be interesting to find out if there are big differences between what home based and overseas Scots think about this one......

I'm giving this some serious thought and will get back to you...

Good answers Scotty, although they do make me wonder why you emigrated - and why Canada?

Its the land of your birth, its in the blood, you are proud of the land that is called Scotland.

I had the chance to emigrate to NZ a number of years ago, went and was glad to return, some folk leave (my sister in NZ) and ponder a return to these shores, but probably never will.

I've stood on the Wembley terraces and sung and shouted and felt very proud, i've walked the streets of New York in me Kilt and felt proud, i love this place so i do - hate Hamilton though.

Rather than sitting an end of semester exam at uni, I have to create a portfolio of photographs that could be used to advertise the Homecoming 2009 celebrations. I have lots of ideas buzzing around my head but what represents Scotland to me will be very different to others. I don't want to submit an entire portfolio of men walking around in kilts or people playing bagpipes. There is so much more to show but first I want to get a broader idea of what "Scottishness" is.

So...

What represents Scotland to you? What makes Scotland different to other countries? What is it you love most about Scotland?

The flag to me is very important, it symbolises to me something that is recognised world wide, I am very proud to fly it. Our land is beautiful (although slowly getting spoilt), knowing we have loads of country and rubbish weather represents us, it also makes us different to other countries.

Our traditions and food are also very important. Hearing the bagpipes makes me very proud, I love them. I love how other coutries see the bagpipes as an important symbol. I love haggis and how it is different to other foods, it is our own.

I love how Rangers and Celtic fans hate each other at the old firm matches, but they don't give two hoots when they get together at a Scotland match, we become one. Yes our football team isn't the best, but god do we try and win or loose we are happy.

Will think of more.....

Being Scottish is about standing at places like Gayfield and Methil freezing to death watching fitba in conditions that fowk would get prosecuted for taking their dog out in,but your with your mates and you know there's a beer and a dram at the end of it. It's about skiing in the cairngorms with gale force winds and the hail stinging yer face till your near greeting, but insisting yer having a great day out, It's about golfing in horizontal rain and no chance of getting a score but you told yer mates you'd be there so here you are,it's about the Scotland rugby team walking slowly out on to Murrayfield and beating them!,it's about humour and passion and knowing their are bigger more powerful, richer nations,but still none of them are as good as Scotland.Most of all it's about the people,great people,warm,generous,honest, friendly fowk with no pretentions

Here's tae us, wha's like us.........

Ever since a fantastic holiday in 1978 and falling in love with your country I (we) have returned every year since. Why?

It's the scenary, the tempremental weather, the friendliness, it's the passion you Scots have for your country - and why shouldn't you?, it's the Cal-Mac ferry, it's the rain, it's the snow, it's the peece and quiet, it's the Munro's, it's the distilleries, the history, it's the fishertowns, the lochs, the monster!, it's stovies and oatcakes and tattie scones, it's porridge and white pudding, it's Orkney Dark Island beer and Deuchars IPA but most of all it's Caley Thistle.

Very best wishes for your project.

Nothing makes me proud be Scottish I have to say, and since leaving and looking at it from the outside looking in instead of the inside looking out at times I'm pleased I aint there. But think about it. The flag, boring, weather, terrible, bagpipes, terrible (like nails on a blackboard), football, poor, kilts, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing one, scenery, boring, I think you get the idea. And on the subject of kilts, since when was being a transvestite called tradition? It's also interesting to note that a lot of this traditional Scottish stuff isn't from Scotland at all. For example - kilts (Irish), porridge (Italian, probably Chinese before that), telephone (Italian), clans (Irish, as is tartan IIRC), gaelic (Irish), bagpipes (Indian I think). I tell you one thing I like about Scotland though and Inverness especially is the tap water. Very nice indeed, second only to the Paris water actually.

And on the subject of kilts, since when was being a transvestite called tradition?

I think being a transvestite came after kilts, so maybe you need to rethink that statement.

When I first took Mrs L to Inverness, she was bowled over at how nice people were to her. Her English/ Scottish is good but accented, and as I made a Xock up booking a car she by herself got onto a bus into Inverness. she walked round for ages, maxed out the credit card.but came back to the hotel happy with bags in a taxi!!!

We go back every year now when work allows, she has more friends than me, always on the net.

To her Scotland is the people, we ignore the weather, worse in Latvia, for me it is like I have never been away , just that my friends like me look older

It's more a feeling of home than anywhere else. Despite growing up in the Central Belt, I don't have too much feeling for returning (although there are some nice places and nostalgia too). It's nothing to do with the people (way too many neds and getting worse) or whisky (can get that virtually anywhere) or the food (puh-leaze!). It's all to do with scenery, the freshness of the air, the light and the weather, plus all those esoteric things that I just can't pin down. As much as I love Ireland, which is very similar, it's still not as 'home' as Scotland - especially the Highlands. So, in other words, no idea!

Glad to clear that up.

(as someone once said "Britain - we like it a bit sh*t")

Edited by starchief

Nothing makes me proud be Scottish I have to say, and since leaving and looking at it from the outside looking in instead of the inside looking out at times I'm pleased I aint there. But think about it. The flag, boring, weather, terrible, bagpipes, terrible (like nails on a blackboard), football, poor, kilts, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing one, scenery, boring, I think you get the idea. And on the subject of kilts, since when was being a transvestite called tradition? It's also interesting to note that a lot of this traditional Scottish stuff isn't from Scotland at all. For example - kilts (Irish), porridge (Italian, probably Chinese before that), telephone (Italian), clans (Irish, as is tartan IIRC), gaelic (Irish), bagpipes (Indian I think). I tell you one thing I like about Scotland though and Inverness especially is the tap water. Very nice indeed, second only to the Paris water actually.

Hell Renegade, thats grim, im proud of Scotland and im English, well to be absolutely correct English with Irish blood due to my grandfather being from Inniskilling, don't know if that irish connection is why I fit in well in scotland...But to be very honest I do truely believe that we will always be stonger as a united Kingdom/Great Britain, trouble is I dont see a lot of reason to call Britain great anymore, which is sad.

There are two things that always give me a weird feeling of belonging though, one is coming into Bristol on the train and seeing the Clifton Suspension bridge, the other is coming over the hill on the A9 and looking down on Inverness.

Edited by Dmacca

the other is coming over the hill on the A9 and looking down on Inverness.

Yup, that one works for me too ..... and normally I have to switch the CD/iPod or whatever to one of my "coming home" songs ..... such as Frankie Miller - Caledonia, Big Country - Harvest Home / In a Big Country, or a few others I cant think of right now .... :rotflmao:

Hell Renegade, thats grim, im proud of Scotland and im English, well to be absolutely correct English with Irish blood due to my grandfather being from Inniskilling, don't know if that irish connection is why I fit in well in scotland...But to be very honest I do truely believe that we will always be stonger as a united Kingdom/Great Britain, trouble is I dont see a lot of reason to call Britain great anymore, which is sad.

There are two things that always give me a weird feeling of belonging though, one is coming into Bristol on the train and seeing the Clifton Suspension bridge, the other is coming over the hill on the A9 and looking down on Inverness.

To Renegade!!

I thought Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, he was Scottish , but then again you always get things wrong!!!

Edited by latviaman

Yup, that one works for me too ..... and normally I have to switch the CD/iPod or whatever to one of my "coming home" songs ..... such as Frankie Miller - Caledonia, Big Country - Harvest Home / In a Big Country, or a few others I cant think of right now .... :rotflmao:

Me too - and it's 'This Is The Sea' by the Waterboys for me. Funnily enough, it's the Pastels when I'm in Glasgow.

I dont see a lot of reason to call Britain great anymore, which is sad.

Can I just clear this up? There's the British Isles, which include Isle of Man, Wight, Shetlands etc etc, plus the biggest (i.e. the GREATest) of the islands, the land mass of mainland Scotland, England and Wales. I've had people tell me it's to do with the Empire, the World Wars and so on, but it's just a geographical term.

Yup, that one works for me too .....

And for me too. I have to make a quick trip to Inverness next Tuesday for a funeral. Instead of flying straight there, I'm flying to Edinburgh and hiring a car there, just so as I can experience the view, and feeling, of driving down from about Daviot into town, once again.