FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

managers salaries

latviaman

Looked at what FC earns for England . no wonder he wants to keep his job, 8000000 a year

I earn much much less, but if I make serious errors of judgment, I would proably not have the luxury of making excuses. every day I have 200 people depending on me each flight, I now think/know I am underpaid!!!!

Technically I manage the aircraft maybe get unite to plead my case, no forget that I like my job....

Football as a whole is GROSSLY overpaid. I think a wage cap should be introduced. ANY person who couldnt live on say ?10k per week maximum....really needs to have a large slice of reality! Would also make it a more even playing field in competition for players. ALSO...they could then reduce the admission price, giving the game back to the working class!

totally agree with you Latviaman (and SMEE). Football is well overpaid in comparison to really "important" jobs where people provide a service where they put themselves in the firing line or take risks every day (eg Military or Emergency services or Doctors/Nurses etc) or take huge responsibilities with peoples lives on a daily basis (eg Pilots etc).

However, I would say this kind if earning potential is only at the extreme end of the scale ....... I dont think anyone at ICT (or most 'normal' SPL clubs) is earning a grossly exaggerated wage, its some of the stars of the Premier League, or perhaps the top end of the SPL where that cap fits. The amounts bandied about by World Cup stars or those signing for Man City is quite frankly scary and unsustainable.

I watch all my live football in a "salary cap" league as that is what MLS is and it is indeed quite a leveller.

With all the other rules MLS put in place such as how many of each 'type' of player you can have in your squad (domestic players, youth players, foreigners, designated players etc), and how much you can spend, and the fact that all players are owned by MLS and not the clubs it makes for a very different way of doing things. There are no big transfers between teams for example - instead its usually trades for players or for 'allocation dollars' to use against the salary cap, or draft picks for the next MLS draft. not always very satisfying but certainly keeps teams on a similar level bth financially and also on the park.

With all the other rules MLS put in place such as how many of each 'type' of player you can have in your squad (domestic players, youth players, foreigners, designated players etc), and how much you can spend, and the fact that all players are owned by MLS and not the clubs it makes for a very different way of doing things. There are no big transfers between teams for example - instead its usually trades for players or for 'allocation dollars' to use against the salary cap, or draft picks for the next MLS draft. not always very satisfying but certainly keeps teams on a similar level bth financially and also on the park.

Would that ever work in the UEFA kingdom, or do you think the game is beyond salvation here? I think it would make for a more exciting product for the fans. In saying that....its always that bit more satisfying putting one over the big money teams, be it Old Firm....or Dundee or whoever. As ICT have proven over the years...you dont need money to buy you team spirit and determination.

Edited by SMEE

Unfortunately it has to be said that TV is the main culprit when it comes to vastly inflated wages. The kind of money TV can put about creates ridiculous wage inflation not only in football but also in other varieties of entertainment. That, for instance, is why irritating plonkers like Woss and elsewhere in sport fatlads like Montgomerie can be paid ridiculous sums for what they do not very well.

There are, of course, other factors which include the lunatic economics of football where these sums are paid to people who actually only work productively for their club for 90 minutes every fortnight. This scenario has also attracted the very rich who seem to be prepared to invest vast chunks of their fortunes in subsidising this for the sake of whatever personal gratification they perceive themselves to receive. This of course also appears to create the expectation among fans that rich people seem almost to have an obligation to chip in big time so that the said fans' season tickets can remain at a price which in effect only covers a small fraction of the cost of what they turn up to watch.

Would that ever work in the UEFA kingdom, or do you think the game is beyond salvation here?

Dont think it would work, certainly not in its current form.

European football is way more complicated to administrate when you are dealing with so many more countries, each with their own national associations, some in the EU, some not, some using Euros, some using their own currencies, different languages, and every one of those countries different in an economic sense.

In MLS its easy - the currency is US$ (even for Canadian teams) and the two countries involved are fairly close in terms of standard of living .... there is also no long history of a national association that would be overshadowed by a new all encompassing body coming in like many Euro teams would feel ......

somebody HUGE has to go bust in Europe/England before anyone will sit up and start taking notice and thinking of change.

This of course also appears to create the expectation among fans that rich people seem almost to have an obligation to chip in big time so that the said fans' season tickets can remain at a price which in effect only covers a small fraction of the cost of what they turn up to watch.

Im sure i heard, several seasons ago, that in Chelsea's case, matchday revenues only accounted for something like 40% of the wage bill. Thats flipping scary!

Edited by SMEE

Unfortunately it has to be said that TV is the main culprit when it comes to vastly inflated wages. The kind of money TV can put about creates ridiculous wage inflation not only in football but also in other varieties of entertainment. That, for instance, is why irritating plonkers like Woss and elsewhere in sport fatlads like Montgomerie can be paid ridiculous sums for what they do not very well.

There are, of course, other factors which include the lunatic economics of football where these sums are paid to people who actually only work productively for their club for 90 minutes every fortnight. This scenario has also attracted the very rich who seem to be prepared to invest vast chunks of their fortunes in subsidising this for the sake of whatever personal gratification they perceive themselves to receive. This of course also appears to create the expectation among fans that rich people seem almost to have an obligation to chip in big time so that the said fans' season tickets can remain at a price which in effect only covers a small fraction of the cost of what they turn up to watch.

Was it Jimmy Hill who campaigned to have the wage cap abolished in the UK? I hate him, he's a poof, he's a poof!

In Vancouver be careful about mentioning MLS which to us generally means Multiple Listing Service i.e the service Realtors (house agents) use online to advertise your home for sale.

It equates to a charging of huge Real Estate commissions, based on percentages of the final sale price, thus contributing to inflated house prices. The average house price across the whole of the Vancouver and district area is now supposed to be $1,000,000. In outlying districts it is supposed to be much less.

Next year the footy MLS welcomes The Vancouver Whitecaps into the system from the North American Soccer League but I am left wondering if the Whitecaps have the players at this stage to compete successfully with some of the other teams.? They intend to shift their home park to the downtown which, in my humble opinion, is a dumb move due to the great difficulties posed by traffic, poor parking , etc. We do have elevated rail transit but it has not yetr eached as far out as Maple ridge where I stay so it means a long drive to a transit "Skytrain" station etc. Probably not for me.