FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

South American 'carve up'?

Sneckboy

As a keen fixed odds better, I'm used to seeing odds of 9/4 (£32.50 back from a tenner) or 12/5 (34 quid back from £10) in a match between two relatively even sides. I have just discovered odds of 7/12 for the draw between Chile and Ecuador when they meet tomorrow! That's under £16 back from a tenner.

I've never seen such low odds on a draw. But both teams will qualify for the World Cup with a draw. It could be a classic scenario of playing the ball about without too much effort. Both teams happy to turn-up, shake hands and not even bother playing! Dreadful odds for a draw - but could it be a complete 'cert'?!

I'm in no way recommending putting money on that outcome (although I am), but it seems the bookies have smelt a rat!

I've got 8/11 at William Hill. £10 on the draw! Couldn't risk more than that. I reckon the odds might get even shorter nearer kick-off - but as you say, Braveheart, one of them might win! They both are almost certainly through anyway. It would be a decent draw punt, aside from the obvious scenario of the draw sending them both through!

I don't think it will be a carve up.  The circumstances of the game simply don't make it worth their while to have any accusations of the game not being competetive thrown at them.  Both teams will go through in any case if Uruguay fail to beat clear leaders Argentina - and given the rivally between those two, I can't see Argentina giving Uruguay an easy ride.

Even if Uruguay were to win, their goal difference is 6 worse than Equador and 4 worse than Chile who have scored a few more.  This means that just suppose Equador beat Chile by 2 goals and Uruguay beat Argentina by 2, then Chile would still edge out Uruguay.  I really can't see Uruguay bettering that scenario.

There is then the question of 2nd place.  Both Equador and Chile could move into 2nd place in the qualifying competition should Colombia lose their match.  It is worth going for.

Finally, it is hardly a disaster if Uruguay do, by some miracle overtake one of them.  The team that finishes 5th can still reach the world cup through a play off against Jordan.  You would expect any South American team to beat them comfortably over 2 legs.

Having said all that, I would expect a pretty cagey first half because neither side can afford to lose badly.  I would expect both sides to look for the win and to shut up shop if they scored.  It will be tight but certailnly no carve up.

• Agree 1