Yogi's Contract

Pele_Is_God

@JimSpenceSport: Mixu announced tomorrow as boss as @dundeeunitedfc refuse to meet Inverness compensation for Yogi, ruling out chance of talks.

Which he later tweeted was £150k for Hughes, £200k if Brian Rice followed him.

Huge credit to Kenny Cameron for managing to hold onto the gaffer, some are critical of the club for lack of news but I have NOT ONCE criticised the club or Kenny Cameron on this because I trust Mr Cameron :ictscarf: :ictscarf:.

I echo what everyone has been saying, get the gaffer signed up before another club come calling ;-).  I do realise that one day John will leave us but would prefer it to be in 2-3yrs time.

Now that it is looking increasingly likely that Mixu is United bound, its time to start supporting the club and manager and look forward to another successful season, even buggers like me need to back JH and co and I promise 100% that I will :ictscarf: :ictscarf: :ictscarf:.

Yes, well done to Cameron and the board for standing firm on compensation.   Well done too to John Hughes, who, as far as I can tell, has kept a dignified silence throughout this whole saga.  I hope he is happy with the outcome and that a satisfactory contract extension with us is in the offing.

Onwards and upwards. Another great season is possible.

• Agree 2

United have had a shocker here. The only facts in this case are that (1) United indicated that compensation would never be a barrier to getting their man (2) Tommy Wright was be their first choice (3) John Hughes was their 2nd choice (4) Mixu gets the gig, apparently because they weren't prepared to pay compensation for Hughes (last bit is gossip, rather than fact). He was, at best, 3rd choice. Once you break cover and ask for permission to talk to managers in post, you need to be certain that you're going to get them!

Excellent work by the board - first for putting the compensation clause in the contract and second for standing firm on it. I'm not so certain that we've come out of this unscathed, however. Assuming that JH was keen on the United job, he will need a sweetener by way of a contract extension and perhaps some loosening of the purse strings to help retain players and strengthen the squad. I'm sure these negotiations are underway, but rightly, they should be behind closed doors and an announcement made only once there is an outcome.

Edited by PerfICT
typo
  • Agree 2

If it was not for the reluctance of the board to sort out Yogi's contract and the striker situation we may not have ever reached this point. Seeking compensation was an absolute no-brainer. And to think that our misers are going to change their minds now and dish out what is probably needed is also a no-brainer. Yogi will undoubtedly continue to be professional but I doubt whether his heart is in it now.

• Agree 1

If it was not for the reluctance of the board to sort out Yogi's contract and the striker situation we may not have ever reached this point. Seeking compensation was an absolute no-brainer. And to think that our misers are going to change their minds now and dish out what is probably needed is also a no-brainer. Yogi will undoubtedly continue to be professional but I doubt whether his heart is in it now.

If Yogi does feel any disappointment, it may quickly be healed/soothed by the realisation that Utd shouldn't be cried over given they were too tight (even after big transfer fees in) to reach into their pockets for the relatively modest sum required to get their apparent previously preferred choice to eventual out-of-contract freebie Mixu. Utd = joke of a club.

Now board please do the decent thing and get our cup winning manager on a better/bigger contract.

Such a relief Big Sam took that Sunderland job meaning Hughes wont be going anywhere for now..................lets hope Jose can turn it round if not big Roman night punt him very soon. Best give Yogi another contract now to stave of further speculation and this thread running for the rest of the season, then we can get back to the usual calls of 'time for Yogi to go', and start calling all Yogi supporters 'happy clappers' again. :clapping:

We need to get a significant number of players signed up on extended contracts but it is more difficult to do that if there is a lack of clarity on who the manager will be next season.  Personally, I think the Dundee Utd saga has indicated that Yogi wants to move on to a higher profile club.  I am actually disappointed that the club did not give Utd permission to talk to Yogi, after all, if he would rather be here than there, then why would he talk to them in any case?    If the club want to retain Hughes he needs to be made an offer soon and with a deadline for signing.  If he signs, then players will know what they would be signing up for in a contract extension.  If he doesn't sign then the club can take steps to make an early appointment to minimise the period of uncertainty.

Personally speaking, I think that both parties should take a step back and think carefully about the outcomes left behind, salvage all the good parts and move on in the right and positive frame of mind.

The club were  within their rights to ask for compensation based on past results and the club's development under Mr J.H.and the chairman was in the right to stand firm on this point.

The   Dundee United  boss must be out of his mind to approach John Hughes and/or the club and expect NOT to have to pay a goodly sum  for his services. When you think that  good players go for much higher sums of money how can you underrate a Manager (who is the guy in charge of the whole development issue, for goodness sake) who has performed admirably and with courage heart and soul and over the past 1.5 years done so well.

Not knowing what was discussed at Board level or what has transpired between the parties within the  club,  I have no further comment but one thing I do know is that Mr Cameron acted firmly and correctly and no one at the club deserves negative criticism.

• Agree 5

From BBC :

"Inverness CT boss John Hughes says at no time was there a chance of him leaving the club to join Dundee United.

"The Highland club turned down an official approach by United to speak to Hughes who also told BBC Scotland he has no issues with the refusal.

"Hughes also confirmed that talks were continuing over the prospect of a new deal with his current contract running out at the end of this season."

• Agree 3

I'm quite sure that the club would not have stood in Yogi's way had he wanted to move. DU is not the right club at the moment for anyone trying to better their career prospects. They are being run by a man who's only keeping the club because of his fathers passion for it. Steven Thompson is not interested in anything other than Steven Thompson and has done nothing to continue the good work his father had done to build a successful club. Would any manager with high hopes want to be associated with DU at this time I wonder.

As to Yogi and ICT I'm quite sure there are ongoing talks about keeping the current management team and players together. As has been seen in the past we are not renowned for having those talks in public so I'll ignore the rumour and speculation and wait for the official statements.

I'm quite sure that the club would not have stood in Yogi's way had he wanted to move. DU is not the right club at the moment for anyone trying to better their career prospects. They are being run by a man who's only keeping the club because of his fathers passion for it. Steven Thompson is not interested in anything other than Steven Thompson and has done nothing to continue the good work his father had done to build a successful club. Would any manager with high hopes want to be associated with DU at this time I wonder.

As to Yogi and ICT I'm quite sure there are ongoing talks about keeping the current management team and players together. As has been seen in the past we are not renowned for having those talks in public so I'll ignore the rumour and speculation and wait for the official statements.

To be fair to Stephen Thompson, he is running a tight and sustainable ship whereas his late father let United run at an average annual loss of around a million pounds which gap he plugged out of his own private means.

I am not sure that his son can be blamed too much for not doing the same thing.

The basis of the report on STV said the club has tabled an new offer to his Agent .

Hughes said he would only sign a new deal if it  felt right. And was right for him

Which clearly indicates the offer on the table is not

He then went on to say I can assure the supporters that I will still be here until the summer that is when my contract runs out. 

The basis of the report on STV said the club has tabled an new offer to his Agent .

Hughes said he would only sign a new deal if it  felt right. And was right for him

He then went on to say I can assure the supporters that I will still be here until the summer that is when my contract runs out. 

So be it. We employed JH when his stock was very low and he was virtually unemployable. If he is now looking for more money than the club is able to pay then let him move on and, as we generally do, we will find a new manager who is enthusiastic about the task and willing to commit.

• Agree 1

So be it. We employed JH when his stock was very low and he was virtually unemployable. If he is now looking for more money than the club is able to pay then let him move on and, as we generally do, we will find a new manager who is enthusiastic about the task and willing to commit.

Sounded like that he will see out his contract and move on thereafter. As others already know the grass is not always greener.