FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Do You Remember The Old Telford Street ?

Guest Glen Mhor

Good morning SP - sorry for the delay in getting back to you - just got an update from my father this morning and my uncle is the same Don Calum that you knew. 

He will be speaking to him again later today sometime after the match and I have passed on the other details that you gave and I am sure then the penny will drop as to exactly which one of his old pals you are. 

I will get you some contact details so that you can e-mail direct.

A small world getting smaller every day....  :003:

• 4 weeks later...

Willie Ross. He delivered our groceries to Kenneth St and then Dalneigh for years and there was always a box of chocs at the end of the month when the bill was paid. He would phone my mum up for her list and within an hour or two the stuff was there. He was the man who introduced me to MacKintrosh's Queens Cup. However, as was the case with so many small shops, supermarket prices won out in the end and my mum reluctantly started going to the Coop.

Willie used to stand on the wall at Greig's Garage on a Saturday afyernoon and watch the second half of Caley games from there.

Guest Glen Mhor

I think Mr Ross died in the late 1970s and Mrs Ross (who ran the sub-Post Office) continued for a while after this and then Abdul took it over. It was well patronised by the distillery, canal and Greigs employees. Must have been a bit of a struggle for a small shop competing with Frozen Foods over the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Re the title

I bought a car in the garage on the right on Telford Street, just towards the canal from the new roundabout, for circa ?100!!  I averaged 886 miles per week in it for the next 2 years!! 2 distributor caps 7/6 each and 2 top hoses 1/0 each, was my total outlay over that period. Wonderful.

Travelling towards the canal you came to a garden centre and then the Bumbers Lane - this lane was where you 'walked' the Dalneigh ladies home from the Strathpeffer/ Dingwall/ Beauly dance bus on a Friday night/Saturday morning.

Next to that was a grassed area with a wall round it to hold the 'ne'er do wells' in, I think.

Coming from 'up the hill' we were not encouraged to frequent this particular park, a bit rough for us!

It is nice to now recognise that, with the amalgamation, there is evidence of improvement in some of the previous occupants of that park.  It will take some time but I have high hopes for their conversion to our superior support level.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

my folks still have their house in Lilac Grove...i still get shivers when i walk past the old ground....all the memories ...that hercher goal against St Johnstone...The penalty shoot out defeat to Dundee, the Caley v Leicester game ph and dont forget the wins against Thistle, Clach or County...great times

The Leicester game?

Jeepers I now remember an English team up on a friendly. They played in white and struck me as a superior football team compared to Caley at that time.

Naturally they won ;that I do remember also.

What was the date of that match..must have been about 50 years ago? Anyone remember?

Telford Street--ah such memories.

And the Bumbers Lane..ah ,such an education LOL. ( NO telling though). :001: