FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Laptop Cd copying problem

SMEE

Anyone have any idea why any music discs i make on my laptop will not play on my cd player? I thought at first it was maybe the format, but am not so sure. its specifically discs made on my laptop that read "error" in my cd player. Discs made on my other computer have always worked fine. I have tried different software thinking it may be that, but have the same results.

Using same discs in each computer ?

Using same software (program & version) on each PC

Using same settings (disc at once / track at once etc and finalising discs at end)?

If the answer to all is yes, then perhaps your laptop CD drive has a problem and is feckin up !

I had a strange problem with my laptop CD player when I moved over here !! I had a laptop with a normal CD drive so had bought an external USB CD writer (with power supply) ... every single disc I tried to record in the UK worked, but in Canada they all failed .... turns out CD writer wasnt getting enough juice from the power system over here !

Many cd/dvd drives on laptops will have the laser attached to the drawer that opens which leaves them prone to gathering dust or being accidentally touched by a greasy finger - the advantages of the design is that you can give it a quick visual check to see if that is the case and it's easy to get at for cleaning.

Using same settings (disc at once / track at once etc and finalising discs at end)?

Have tried different discs.

Have tried different software.

If I try to make disc as MP3, it wont play in cd player at all and i get "ERROR" message.

If i convert the tracks from MP3 to wav, Cd player will play thro 3-4 tracks then give the "ERROR" message again

Have tried different discs.

Have tried different software.

If I try to make disc as MP3, it wont play in cd player at all and i get "ERROR" message.

If i convert the tracks from MP3 to wav, Cd player will play thro 3-4 tracks then give the "ERROR" message again

This might seem stupid - but are you making the disks up a MP3 Cd's (ie as a sofware type disk) or are you copying them as an audio CD? What software are you using? If you can fit more than 80 mins oif music on the disk then you are burning it as a format that will not play on a normal CD player.

Hope this doesn't seem patronising but i've obviously no idea how computer savvy you are so i thought it was worth checking this.

Rich

I tried making disc as Audio Cd. Even converted the Mp3 to wav files to be doubly sure. Plays first few tracks then dies on me. I have tried Windows Media PLayer and NTI Cd and DVD maker

:017: I think I have got to the bottom of the problem. The discs work fine on my laptop....mates Car Cd player and two different cd players. I had a copy of the new Radiohead Cd given to me and its the same story! So I have invested in a cd lens cleaner. If that dont work then I assume my Cd player is just sensitive to some types of Cds

Quite a common error that I've come across a few times.  Some of the more expensive CD players will even go as far as displaying an error code which can be looked up.  I have a Philips Hi-Fi that suffers from this and displays "Disc Not Finalised" sometimes, but other times the disc will play just fine.  Reasons for this are beyond me, I put it down to varying blank disc quality, software write errors, dust on the disc, dust on the lens, solar flares, fluctuations in the force... you get the picture...

UPDATE...got lens cleaner.......discs worked better but still not great. Took Cd player apart and actually cleaned the lens wi cotton bud and iso props and still same. Think its sensitive to Cds made on Laptop!!

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE**** following an in depth investigation by myself.....turns out it is a common problem with my make of cd player. So anyone with a Marrantz CD6000 OSE player.....if you have this same problem....its because you need to solder on a 10pf capacitor cap to the circut board under the transport