Set pieces/crossing

Bronson

After watching us squander cross after cross again, i wonder why we are so poor in this area.

We have a number of strong solid players who should be getting goals from corners, long throws and free kicks. The likes of tokely, mcguire, munro, bayne, niculae should all be scoring from decent balls into the box, but it never seems to work that way.

I winced as i watched Blacks terrible short corner which travelled about 5 yards, Cowies corner that failed to beat the first defender. (its almost like we aim for the first defender!) From the aformentioned corner, utd went straight up the pitch and scored.

Tokely also put a cross into deep space, but to be fair the ball took a horrendous bobble.

If we could get decent balls in the box we could be adding an extr 10 to 15 goals a season.

McBain put a decent ball in for the goal  :023:

Apart from that I agree though crossing is pretty poor.

If we played Doogie on the left instead of the right he wouldn't have to turn inside all the time and maybe would put more balls into the box.

We only had one upfront aswell which limits the options for crosses aswell  :024:

Even though a lot of his corners hit the first defender one player we had who could whip in a great ball was Rankin. Even Hart could be half decent at getting the ball in the box.

From today's Scotsman....

Hibs sealed what had once seemed an improbable win when John Rankin sent in an inch-perfect cross for Fletcher to run in and head home from just inside the six yard box.....

Hibs sealed what had once seemed an improbable win when John Rankin sent in an inch-perfect cross for Fletcher to run in and head home from just inside the six yard box.....

Watched the BBC Online highlights this morning. Have a look if you haven't done so. His ball in really is superb. Inch perfect indeed.

If we played Doogie on the left instead of the right he wouldn't have to turn inside all the time and maybe would put more balls into the box.

I thought that playing Doogie on the right worked quite well, he covered Tokely's wandering and created a fair bit of space down that side. I did however notice that he was in a good position at times but the regular lads opted for harder balls infield when Doogie was in a better position, perhaps there was a little bit of uncertainty with them due to DI being new in the team. I did think he and Tokely played off each other quite well though and I am impressed with him given the reports I heard prior to seeing him play for myself.

I remember reading last season that Barry Wilson and John Rankin stayed behind after training to practice taking free kicks and the like. Now that both of them are either not with us any more, or out of favour, I really really hope the likes of Blackie, Marius, Cowie, Imrie et al will put in some extra practice.

Maybe they are in a rush home to catch Neighbours on channel 5?