Feb 8th 2000 Man of the Match poll

Yngwie

Man of the Match  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you award 5 points to?

• 1. Calder
    • 2. Teasdale
    • 3. Golabek
    • 4. Mann
    • 5. Hastings
    • 6. Sheerin
    • 7. Tokely
    • 8. McCulloch
    • 9. Wilson
    • 10. Christie
    • 11. Wyness
  2. 2. Which player would you award 3 points to?

• 1. Calder
    • 2. Teasdale
    • 3. Golabek
    • 4. Mann
    • 5. Hastings
    • 6. Sheerin
    • 7. Tokely
    • 8. McCulloch
    • 9. Wilson
    • 10. Christie
    • 11. Wyness
  3. 3. Which player would you award 1 point to?

• 1. Calder
    • 2. Teasdale
    • 3. Golabek
    • 4. Mann
    • 5. Hastings
    • 6. Sheerin
    • 7. Tokely
    • 8. McCulloch
    • 9. Wilson
    • 10. Christie
    • 11. Wyness

Having recently watched the DVD of the famous match in which there were evidently so many good performances, I thought it would be interesting to see which player would come out top in the sort of poll that we use on the site these days.

Poll is open to anyone who was at the match or has seen the DVD, and I've included shirt numbers for those who need a bit of assistance identifying or remembering the players!

Also, has your perception of the players' performances changed at all since 2000, having now seen a rerun of the game?

I'll close this tomorrow and announce the results, although there seems to be a clear winner.

As things stand Mark McCulloch is the only player without any votes. Wasn't he our captain that night?

still have the Dvd sitting at home and not watched it yet but from what I remember..

Christie gets top vote, Calder second, then the rest (although I picked Mann)

I think Xavi watched that game and learnt everything he knows from Christie... it was a pass perfect performance and the way he switched the play from left to right was majestic. I was never a massive Christie fan before then (I think it was a lot to do with his reluctance to shoot) but that game was his swan song.

Calder (i.e. Andy Goram mark II) was also a stand out

it's difficult to pick from the rest because they were all superb.. Mann, Sheerin & Wilson... yeh they are all immortal with ICT fans for that day.

I'm not sure but this might have been in the days of just 3 players on the bench in the cup, when teams often took a chance by not having a sub keeper. We had Superman though to step in if needed.

The subs we used that night to waste time were Bavidge, Byers and Glancy.

Although to be fair every one of the 14 who played were exceptional that night.

If I can be a bit picky, IMO every one of the 11 who started were exceptional that night. But I recall that Bavidge was terrible, and I'm not sure if other 2 subs even kicked the ball.

Although to be fair every one of the 14 who played were exceptional that night.

If I can be a bit picky, IMO every one of the 11 who started were exceptional that night. But I recall that Bavidge was terrible, and I'm not sure if other 2 subs even kicked the ball.

defo Byers and Glancy??

still have the Dvd sitting at home and not watched it yet but from what I remember..

Christie gets top vote, Calder second, then the rest (although I picked Mann)

I think Xavi watched that game and learnt everything he knows from Christie... it was a pass perfect performance and the way he switched the play from left to right was majestic. I was never a massive Christie fan before then (I think it was a lot to do with his reluctance to shoot) but that game was his swan song.

Calder (i.e. Andy Goram mark II) was also a stand out

it's difficult to pick from the rest because they were all superb.. Mann, Sheerin & Wilson... yeh they are all immortal with ICT fans for that day.

100% agree with all of that.

Havent seen the new DVD but from memory of the actual game and the original highlights DVD I thought that Charlie was immense that night. He may not have been as heroic as Jimmy was in goals, he may not be seen as often in iconic images from the game such as Sheerin's leap after the penalty, and he may not have any claim to say "my goal" like Bobby did, but he bossed the middle of the park that night and sprayed pass after pass after pass exactly where it needed to be. The performance may have grown in stature in my memory over the years but I recall thinking that his performance that night was one of the best performances by a player in an ICT shirt EVER, he simply did not put a foot wrong and made the mi??ionaires in the other team look distinctly average.

Jimmy Calder would be my second choice simply because he did what JC did for ICT all the time and performed miracles between the sticks regardless of the opposition. Mark Brown or Ryan Esson may be better keepers than Jimmy in a technical sense, but then again they are professionals who can concentrate on their craft all day every day whereas Jimmy was a part-time player and full-time builder. I think every ICT fan who was around 10 years ago has fond memories of his exploits. [strikes me as I write this that over the years a 'fat builder' and part-time keeper also kept a former Scotland Keeper and a former Chelsea keeper on the bench for rather long periods !!! class]

Third choice is a hard one ..... any one of the remaining players could take it but I gave it to Bobby. His "goal" and his never say die attitude as captain of the team shades it narrowly from Barry or Mike.

defo Byers and Glancy??

Yip.

sorry.. had it in my head that Tony Low got the last few seconds for some reason...

long time ago and my memory is p!sh at the best of times.

Tony came on in 72mins at Parkhead on 23rd October 2002 when Celtic beat us 4-2 in that seasons 3rd round of the League Cup. He also scored his only goal for ICT later that season against Arbroath at the TCS.

defo Byers and Glancy??

Yip.

sorry.. had it in my head that Tony Low got the last few seconds for some reason...

long time ago and my memory is p!sh at the best of times.

Tony came on in 72mins at Parkhead on 23rd October 2002 when Celtic beat us 4-2 in that seasons 3rd round of the League Cup. He also scored his only goal for ICT later that season against Arbroath at the TCS.

sorry that's where I'm getting confused.. cheers

I'm not sure but this might have been in the days of just 3 players on the bench in the cup, when teams often took a chance by not having a sub keeper.

The subs we used that night to waste time were Bavidge, Byers and Glancy.

I checked this out, it was just 3 on the bench in those days. Celtic had a sub keeper that night (Stewart Kerr) but we didn't.

Official team lines from that game:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CELTIC 1 (Burchill 17)

Gould, Boyd, Tebily, Mahe, Riseth, Healy, Blinker, Moravcik, Berkovic, Viduka (Wright 46), Burchill

Subs not used ? Kerr & Petta

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE 3 (Wilson 16, Moravcik og 24, Sheerin pen 57)

Calder, Teasdale, Golabek, Mann, McCulloch, Hastings, Sheerin, Tokely (Byers 89), Wilson (Glancy 87), Christie,

Wyness (Bavidge 79)

REFEREE ? D McDonald ATTENDANCE ? 34389 MAN OF THE MATCH ? Charlie Christie (ICT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poll Result. Jimmy Calder the winner with Charlie Christie not too far behind, then Barry Wilson 3rd. Hard to argue with that.

128 Calder

114 Christie

70 Wilson

42 Mann

33 Sheerin

6 Tokely

5 Hastings

5 Wyness

1 Golabek

1 Teasdale

0 McCulloch