FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Looking Outside The Box....(merged)

Renegade

I had a wee look at the Faroe Islands teams on Wikipedia earlier and there also seems to be a few Nigerians over there as well as one Sierra Leone internationalist. Can't say I've heard of him though.

I seem to recollect something about this on P&B once and someone made the point that the Faroe Islands aren't part of the EU, thus can play Brazilians and other nationalities easier using their own rules than they could here due to the EU rules. This may also be the reason why a good number of Brazilians play in the Asian leagues and in Australia.

Edited by Renegade

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who's ever seen the rugby will have seen the size of the Figians and the Samoans and the Tongans. They're 6"6, as hard as nails and can run like Usain Bolt. I've always wondered why managers have never looked at getting one of these guys as a centre-half. To me it makes complete sense, there's a good chance some these guys would come to ICT, and it's another market that seems to be untapped. Is it time ICT had a look at some Pacific Islander players? This poster says yes.

1 result springs to mind Austrailia 34 - 0 American Samoa 0. I think at one point they lost count. Genuinely.

Anyway, Yes there are probably players in Africa but its very difficult to get a work permit for alot of these guys.

I've always thought the Skandinavian market was ther to be tapped. Forget Norway though. No one in Norway is on low wages. Even if the living costs are vastly higher.

I think it's more about having a good network of scouts rather than picking a specific area of the globe. Talent can arise anywhere.

Am I the only one who likes the idea of Scottish players playing for Scottish teams?

And in our case, predominantly Highland players playing for ICT.

I think it's a lot easier to be supportive of and loyal to a team which is representative of the area in which it is based.

Am I the only one who likes the idea of Scottish players playing for Scottish teams?

I think it's a lot easier to be supportive of and loyal to a team which is representative of the area in which it is based.

I like that idea too - unfortunately probably not enough Highland players of quality for an spl team. However as senior team in the area it's probably our duty to train and nurture any young talent in the area with a view to the future.

I had a wee look at the Faroe Islands teams on Wikipedia earlier and there also seems to be a few Nigerians over there as well as one Sierra Leone internationalist. Can't say I've heard of him though.

I seem to recollect something about this on P&B once and someone made the point that the Faroe Islands aren't part of the EU, thus can play Brazilians and other nationalities easier using their own rules than they could here due to the EU rules. This may also be the reason why a good number of Brazilians play in the Asian leagues and in Australia.

The Faroes, though still part of Denmark, are an autonomus entity without EU membership. Therefore they can make their own immigration rules. I believe, however, that most Faroe footballers are part time. As most of the younger generation leave the islands to further their education and a fair few of those dont return when they've experienced the rest of the world it is necessary to bring in people to do a lot of the work. Fishing and fish farming are the mainstay of the economy. There is also quite a bit of oil exploration going on so foriegn expertise is a necessity. What better an idea than to bring workers who can also play football.

I think I'm right in saying the rules of imported players are not so much to do with the EU as they are to do with individual associations and in this country with the SPL. There are a lot of players from Africa and S. America in the english leagues. Many of them are not Internationalists. I seem to remember Jason Scotland, when he was at Dundee, having his permit extension veto'ed by the SPL as he hadn't enough International appearances then the next season he signs for St. Johnstone without problem.

I would wager that many teams would 'look outside the box' for cheap foriegn players but because of stupid rules made by our governing bodies the hassle is too great. The whole of Scottish football needs a good shake up. Those in charge, who incidently are blinkered to anything outside the glasgow twosome, need ousted and people with the game at heart need to be brought in to save it.

I like that idea too - unfortunately probably not enough Highland players of quality for an spl team. However as senior team in the area it's probably our duty to train and nurture any young talent in the area with a view to the future.

No I'd have to disagree there. Its not our job in my opinion. That duty befalls Ross County. We on the other hand have the task of selecting their best and taking them, after RC have done all the hard work with the development. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I get the whole thing with the Work Permits but ICT and Hibs beforehand signed Thierry Gathuessi, who had only played for Cameroon once. Also Gretna signed Uruguayan Fabian Yantorno, who to date has never turned out for the Uruguayan side. How is it some players get in, and others don't?