FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Looking Outside The Box....(merged)

Renegade

I may be showing my ignorance of Asian-Pacific football but don't Australia regularly put 20+ goals past some of these teams in WCQ matches ?

We used to when were in the Oceana Confederation, we beat on of the islands 32-0. Thank God we are in the Asian Confederation now.

That was American Samoa I think I (a game in which Archie Thompson scored 13 goals, a world record, and was then dropped for the next game!). Strangely though the American Samoa keeper had quite a good game.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who's ever seen the rugby will have seen the size of the Figians and the Samoans and the Tongans. They're 6"6, as hard as nails and can run like Usain Bolt. I've always wondered why managers have never looked at getting one of these guys as a centre-half. To me it makes complete sense, there's a good chance some these guys would come to ICT, and it's another market that seems to be untapped. Is it time ICT had a look at some Pacific Islander players? This poster says yes.

:lol::lol: I am not totally sure if you are serious here! So for one you base all pacific islanders on the figian and samoan rugby teams? :huh: And an 'untapped market' of rugby players to be used as footballers?? :huh: Does that even make sense in your own head? Isn't the most important thing in being a footballer that you can play football not just be big!

I have noticed that a lot of basketball players are really tall and would therefore be great in the air both in defence and attack. We should sign a lot of random tall people as well to take advatage of this untapped market, I cant believe how nobody has signed up the players who dont make it in the NBA yet. If only managers across the world had the brain of renegade!

Please show me where I said that ICT should sign rugby players to be used as footballers. I said that if anyone has seen the rugby teams (or anything else about these places for that matter) you'll see the size of these guys. The perfect size for a Bobby Mann style centre-half.

Um...how about you read over your posts again. You highlighted me saying 'So for one you base all pacific islanders on the figian and samoan rugby teams?' Then you spout rubbish about the size of the rugby players! The clue is in your own post, they are RUGBY players and arent an example of what the whole population is like.

And you pretty much did say ICT should sign rugby players with this rubbish 'Anyone who's ever seen the rugby will have seen the size of the Figians and the Samoans and the Tongans. They're 6"6, as hard as nails and can run like Usain Bolt. I've always wondered why managers have never looked at getting one of these guys as a centre-half.' Sign a rubgy player to play as a centre back because they are big, couldn't make this stuff up :lol::lol:

Edited by Joe DiMaggio

The perfect size for a Bobby Mann style centre-half.

Sadly, Bobby Mann sized centre halfs tend not to have the pace of Usain Bolt. Anyone who saw Agathe rip him a new one in the lower leagues when we played Raith in Inverness can testify to that. It was some sight.

Didier Agathe, what a player. Just googled him to see where he's playing at the moment. A small French team, 33 years old. Could have a look at him but obviously a very very slim chance he would come here, but I think he would still be 100times better than Tokely/Proctor.

Didier Agathe, what a player. Just googled him to see where he's playing at the moment. A small French team, 33 years old. Could have a look at him but obviously a very very slim chance he would come here, but I think he would still be 100times better than Tokely/Proctor.

Also the small problem of the price tag :lol:

Thats maybe why he would be better than tokely/proctor

There was a rumor that Valencia were going sign Agathe in 2001 for 15 million
Edited by caleymad

He is a midfielder and his previous team record doesnt look promising considering he has been released by the teams should below

Didier Agathe

Also i think we should discuss this in the thread "Signing for nexr season" before this gets closed for off topic discussions.

Edited by caleymad

There was a rumor that Valencia were going sign Agathe in 2001 for 15 million

:lol: That's just taking the **** :rotflmao:

I wouldn't have thought so...

He was pure class - although it helped having players like Larson and Sutton alongside him.

In recognition of the fact that Renegade once agreed with the views of the Scarlet Pimple one is honour-bound to support him. As a relatively new poster of some brains (currently not quantified on the Richter Scale), a modest level of acumen and an ongoing critically acclaimed outgoing desire to contribute to this Forum he should be cosseted, loved and uplifted by a large measure of positive feedback on a daily basis.

Cutting remarks at his expense are foreign to the concept of fairness which no doubt would be much admired by one IHE not to mention all overseas fans who will applaud anything that gives them a greater insight into the goings on at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, lightens their burden of ex-patriation, increases their awareness of how courageous they were at one point in their lives by having seized the nettle and emigrated, keeps them off the pot by engendering a higher level of excitement in their poor miserable lives and completely satisfies their constant need to be known, admired, revered and appreciated.

Reneg-Ade is a somebody, fathered by a gent whose first name was Gator out of the filly Lemon-Ade and is about to be entered in the 3 O'clock at Haydock Park by Canada Bob who has an eye for a winner.You can bet your life on it! And if you read Canada Bob's name backwards you will find out why because he sure has ...had a knack for pickin a winner in times past.

What one cannot understand ,however, is whether Figians are from outer Space or Fiji and whether or not the above-mentioned large black guys wear an equally large fig leaf on the outside or inside of their rugby pants or is all this just a fig-leaf of one's imagination?

Regardless, does anyone on here the noo really give a fig.....?

That is, figurately speaking ,like............

What do you say C.Bob? :018:

• 2 months later...

I had a brain wave recently about something else Scottish teams have never really done. Look at the likes of Argentina, Brazil and a few of the other South/Central American countries's lower league players. Have a look at people from places like the Brazilian Division 2 and things like that. I believe some Asian teams have done this. Some of these guys may come and chances are would probably be of a decent quality and bring some much needed Latin flair to the Caley Stadium. Also if you look at most of the Faroe Islands teams, they all seem to have a couple of Brazilians, so climate can't be a turn off. This has sort of been done before a couple of times. A young Ronaldiniho nearly went to St Mirren apparently and Gretna managed to get that Uruaguayan bloke Yantorno. Thoughts.

Have a look at people from places like the Brazilian Division 2 and things like that.

No disputing that their technical abilities will be good, but surely they'd never get a UK work permit unless they are established internationals?

Have a look at people from places like the Brazilian Division 2 and things like that.

No disputing that their technical abilities will be good, but surely they'd never get a UK work permit unless they are established internationals?

Also, i doubt that they would play well in D1. Its not the type of league that you get much time on the ball and its not often you can hold onto the ball for a long time like brazillians like. Its also very rough which would not suite brazillians play.

That is some brainwave but im pretty sure most lower league scottish teams are aware that a high quality of player exists in south america and africa, and perhaps in fiji. There are some fairly obvious reasons why we cant fill our team with south americans. How do you suppose we scout these lower league Brazilians? Brazil is a big place. Or do we fly a bunch or randoms over and hope for the best. South America is ever so slightly less developed than Britain, most brazilians never leave their state, let alone country. I cant imagine these players would be overly keen on stumping up on flights to london and then on to inverness, do we pay all costs and take very expensive punts? Are we nice enough to buy return flights for them?

But hey, if you've seen some documentaries...

Also if you look at most of the Faroe Islands teams, they all seem to have a couple of Brazilians, so climate can't be a turn off.

I was intrigued by this and had a look. Slight exaggeration as I only found 5 in the entire 3 league set-up, but still, WTF are they doing there? There are quite a few Hungarians and Serbs, but generally not many foreigners at all.

Do they just happen to be there for work, and play a bit of pub footie in their spare time, or are they real footballers who have gone there purely to play in one of the weakest leagues in the developed world? There surely can't be any money in the game there, with a population of just 49,000.

If anyone knows anything more I'd be curious to know.

I had a brain wave recently about something else Scottish teams have never really done. Look at the likes of Argentina, Brazil and a few of the other South/Central American countries's lower league players. Have a look at people from places like the Brazilian Division 2 and things like that. I believe some Asian teams have done this. Some of these guys may come and chances are would probably be of a decent quality and bring some much needed Latin flair to the Caley Stadium. Also if you look at most of the Faroe Islands teams, they all seem to have a couple of Brazilians, so climate can't be a turn off. This has sort of been done before a couple of times. A young Ronaldiniho nearly went to St Mirren apparently and Gretna managed to get that Uruaguayan bloke Yantorno. Thoughts.

Two words "work permit" if it was such a struggle to get one for Niculae who's country of origin was a new member state of the EU then how difficult do you think getting one for a South American or Fijian would be? I am not at all sure of the rules regarding work permits but is there not some rule on international caps? and limits on the amount of permits issued to the SFA per year? At the end of the day would it be cost effective to pay for a scout to go to these places in the hope of unearthing a star when it is more likely that immigration would put a stop to any, if indeed any were found, potential signings.

with regard to the faroe islands, i imagine they would be there for work. Did a study in iceland a few years back, there was a ton of chinese workers there, building a massive smelting thingy i think (it was a few years ago). Few of them played a bit i think. Anyways i would reckon its some brazillians who have come to europe looking for work and have been picked up by some fishing company and posted there, just my guess