FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Looking Outside The Box....(merged)

Renegade

With ICT being relegated and less decent British players considering to turn out at TCS, is time to do what Bobby Williamson said and look at Africa for players? I know Brew tried it a little with Atiku and Wagaluk, but if I were boss I'd strongly consider looking at signing some quality players from Africa, who are apparently paid pennies in their home countries. It makes sense to me, especially as this seems to be an untapped market, with many players being only semi-professional. If I were manager, I'd even think about trying to make a team like Shaktar Donestk did of a team molded from both Scots and African players, similar to what Shaktar did with Brazilians and Eastern Europeans. Thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who's ever seen the rugby will have seen the size of the Figians and the Samoans and the Tongans. They're 6"6, as hard as nails and can run like Usain Bolt. I've always wondered why managers have never looked at getting one of these guys as a centre-half. To me it makes complete sense, there's a good chance some these guys would come to ICT, and it's another market that seems to be untapped. Is it time ICT had a look at some Pacific Islander players? This poster says yes.

The Africa one is not as ludicrous as most of your ideas. I'm sure there are plenty of players who would do well in Div 1, and higher.

I guess the reasons clubs don't plunder the African leagues are :

1) Work permit problems

2) High risk of player not settling, due cultural issues, language and weather

3) Anyone decent usually goes to a French or Belgian club (same language, colonnial connections, friends and family there, easy to get a dual nationality passport and avoid work permit)

3) You have to make very dodgy payments to very dodgy people

Edited by Yngwie

I may be showing my ignorance of Asian-Pacific football but don't Australia regularly put 20+ goals past some of these teams in WCQ matches ?

I may be showing my ignorance of Asian-Pacific football but don't Australia regularly put 20+ goals past some of these teams in WCQ matches ?

Aye I thought that was the case myself. Hardly any of them play football as their major sport though.

Anyone who's ever seen the rugby will have seen the size of the Figians and the Samoans and the Tongans. They're 6"6, as hard as nails and can run like Usain Bolt. I've always wondered why managers have never looked at getting one of these guys as a centre-half. To me it makes complete sense, there's a good chance some these guys would come to ICT, and it's another market that seems to be untapped. Is it time ICT had a look at some Pacific Islander players? This poster says yes.

Rugby, getting one of these guys, answered your own question within 6 words, I think (Correct me if im being thick) that these guys being Rugby players would be the main reason we dont look at them as Football Center Halfs.... :004:

Guest birdog

Should this thread not be retitled guessing what's in renegade's head? I am thinking cream cheese, the obvious answer of nothing cannot be accepted :004:

Renegade is quite funny sometimes although, there is an actual point being made here. Looking into foreign markets is not as easy as it sounds because clubs like Ajax, PSV, Young Boys, Real, Barca,.....etc have a good record of picking up unknown South American and African players so must have a good scouting system already in place. Anyone of slight talent will be picked up by the clubs that are proven at playing and improving these players. ICT would struggle to find a player in these teritories that the bigger clubs were not already aware of.....

Ajax Kanu

PSV Romario

Young Boys Sonny anderson

Real Eto

Barca Messi

and whilst we would be looking players of maybe about 10% of this talent, the scouts of the big clubs will pass the deatils of the weaker players onto smaller clubs in thier own contries so, we wouldn't get a look in at the decent players.

I have just returned from a soujourn in Ghana, and can testify that

a) They are football daft. Chelsea is current fave for the Essien connection, but I think they change according to who has the highest profile Ghanaian player.

B) Other than tribal languages, English is the national language of Ghana.

c) There is not one of them, who would not change the relaxed life, plentiful food, cheap beer, beautiful women and warm climate of Ghana to come to live and work in Inverness.

d) There are gangsters everywhere, but Ghana is no Nigerian/Somali

There are bounce games everywhere and a competitive league across the country, which, though riddled with curruptions till offers some good football. I met a chap who told me he was a Hearts fan, becaouse of the Kingston connection, and also told me that Motherwell and Dundee Utd also had Ghanaian players. News to me.

Also met an ICT fan, who saw us on Setanta, and always followed our results on the net. Are you there?

I would be delighted to scout, on my next trip.

Ireland and Wales are probably better places to look. Cheap players/wages, decent standard and we are bigger and playing in a better like than most of their teams I think.

Also places like Finland, Iceland, Norway those countries top divisons (maybe a bit lower) are maybe the same standard as us and again, low prices on players and wages.

Renegade has a good point. It would be great to try and get some guys from africa and the such but as someone said, Work Permits would be a huge problem. So i think closer to home would be better. As another said, Ireland and Wales.

Your unintelligent posts always amaze me :rolleyes:

:rotflmao::lol: I am not totally sure if you are serious here! So for one you base all pacific islanders on the figian and samoan rugby teams? :rolleyes: And an 'untapped market' of rugby players to be used as footballers?? :rotflmao: Does that even make sense in your own head? Isn't the most important thing in being a footballer that you can play football not just be big!

I have noticed that a lot of basketball players are really tall and would therefore be great in the air both in defence and attack. We should sign a lot of random tall people as well to take advatage of this untapped market, I cant believe how nobody has signed up the players who dont make it in the NBA yet. If only managers across the world had the brain of renegade!

We used to when were in the Oceana Confederation, we beat on of the islands 32-0. Thank God we are in the Asian Confederation now.

:lol::lol: I am not totally sure if you are serious here! So for one you base all pacific islanders on the figian and samoan rugby teams? :huh: And an 'untapped market' of rugby players to be used as footballers?? :huh: Does that even make sense in your own head? Isn't the most important thing in being a footballer that you can play football not just be big!

I have noticed that a lot of basketball players are really tall and would therefore be great in the air both in defence and attack. We should sign a lot of random tall people as well to take advatage of this untapped market, I cant believe how nobody has signed up the players who dont make it in the NBA yet. If only managers across the world had the brain of renegade!

Please show me where I said that ICT should sign rugby players to be used as footballers. I said that if anyone has seen the rugby teams (or anything else about these places for that matter) you'll see the size of these guys. The perfect size for a Bobby Mann style centre-half.