FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

No Audio Device (Windows XP)

SMEE

I have been trying all night to get sound on my wee boys PC, so he can hear his youtube clips he loves to watch. The Computer was in a mess.....missing updates etc, so i have been trying to get everything up to date tonight.

So....now....i have found that there is "No Audio Device" being listed. Even the wee speaker icon beside clock is missing. As far as i know....it is on board sound, (as i had a peek inside, and no sign of a sound card) ....which DID work when my oldest had the computer...some months ago.

Anyone have a clue? I even tried the Microsoft Fix It thing, with no joy!

Hiya Smee,

Here is what I would do.

1)Take the side off the case

2) look at the motherboard

3) identify make & model number

4) Go to manufacturers web site

5) Go to support/drivers/motherboards/ model number.

6) Download audio driver (for operating system you are using)

7) Install driver

Sometimes you also need to install the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) patch from microsoft.

G

Thanx for that Kiltarlity. Al maybe give that a go....but I thave tried quite a few things suggested on websites, with no joy. am thinking wiping the hard drive and starting from fresh may be the way to go

Thanx for that Kiltarlity. Al maybe give that a go....but I thave tried quite a few things suggested on websites, with no joy. am thinking wiping the hard drive and starting from fresh may be the way to go

Still won't help you if you don't have the drivers...

What status does the device show in Device Manager?

Al need to get back to you on that Jay....i have had a wee look in device manager and there are a few yellow questionmarks showing up....but not sure if its related to the Audio. My wee man is using my pc just now (since it has sound for his youtube clips), and im not sure if his mother is gonna leave the PC with me to fix. Its all ready to go incase...so not set up at the mo.

get a sound boost system from currys digital i bought one from them and its just ?14,99p,

my pc sound is so good now,

If there's no sound you can't boost it.

I have rebooted my XP on my PC a couple of times, both times I had to manually select the monitor and audio drivers. It was very frustrating at the time because I am not really a computer geek type but I got there in the end.

Open control panel

Administration tools

Computer management

Device manager

Sound, Video & Game controllers

Legacy Audio Drivers

Trouble shoot opens the Help and Support Center

Good luck.

you can wipe your hard drive, clean your mouse or dance around the thing naked with tassles on your man boobs but nothing will help you other than getting the correct drivers for that (and all the other yellow exclamation marks in device manager). If you load up some random set of drivers, whether it works or not will also be random ... if you happen to pick the right random driver, bingo, otherwise, you are S.O.L. !!!!

If you know the model number of the PC type it into google and go to the maker's website and download the original drivers if you do not have a disc with them on it already. If you dont know the model number and you are sure it is onboard sound, as suggested earlier, take off the side of the case and chack the brand and model of the mobo and throw that into google .....

Ok...I tries Scotty suggestion about the Dancing Naked wi my moobs oot. That didnt work! :rolleyes:

Opened up the maching...and all i can see on the motherboard is that it appears to be an ASUS motherboard. I cannot see any identifying model numbers etc.

I have gone on to the Mesh website...onto the downloads section....and apart from some option I should be able to click on, to give me all the relevant deatail about the machine, which does not work when i click on it, I can see no actual section where i can dowload drivers etc!

So thats the state of play folks. Any ideas?

Merci

Ok...I tries Scotty suggestion about the Dancing Naked wi my moobs oot. That didnt work! :rolleyes:

Opened up the maching...and all i can see on the motherboard is that it appears to be an ASUS motherboard. I cannot see any identifying model numbers etc.

I have gone on to the Mesh website...onto the downloads section....and apart from some option I should be able to click on, to give me all the relevant deatail about the machine, which does not work when i click on it, I can see no actual section where i can dowload drivers etc!

So thats the state of play folks. Any ideas?

I bet you forgot the tassles !!!

to try and help, need input/info .......

if there is a make & model number on the machine itself, post it here.

If there is not a model number on it, right click on "my computer" and choose properties then the "general" tab - and post the information here (or PM it)

If that doesnt give enough info, run system information from the start menu > programs > accessories > system tools and post (or PM) the system summary info.

Just Did the System Info thing. here is what came up

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name LEWIS-4ED7CE445

System Manufacturer System manufacturer

System Model System Product Name

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2210 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0403, 05/10/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name LEWIS-4ED7CE445\Mum

Time Zone GMT Daylight Time

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 498.15 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.26 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Got it going....YAY!! I had been barking up the right tree....just the fact i was using Internet Explorer (with No Add Ons), it was preventing me from running the ActiveX control on the Asus site, meaning i couldnt download the required software.

Many thanx to the people who contributed. My wee boy is gonna be over the moon, now that he can watch AND listen to his youtube clips :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :021: :021: