FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Terry Butcher

1aberdonian

Butcher has been unlucky.

Coventry he did well enough, and shouldn't have been sacked. Sunderland, Brentford, Sydney, he wasnt given time, something he perhaps needed, especially as if you look at Motherwell, he did well...

Didn't know he played for Clydebank and was asst coach at Partick

Anyway, Butcher seems made for the Scottish game. If he gets ICT promoted, and does well in the SPL, Ipswich may be looking at him after the Keane saga...

I'm sure I read somewhere that he is getting a knee replacement in the summer rather than going to the World Cup to be a pundit.

I'm not surprised by that, he can barely walk these days.

Coventry he did well enough, and shouldn't have been sacked. Sunderland, Brentford, Sydney, he wasnt given time, something he perhaps needed, especially as if you look at Motherwell, he did well...

Anyway, Butcher seems made for the Scottish game. If he gets ICT promoted, and does well in the SPL, Ipswich may be looking at him after the Keane saga...

Maybe he did need more time but he didn't help his own cause due to the fact that his attitude stank - at Sydney especially. His record at Brentford was almost identical to that of Brewster at DUFC, but he was also very annoyed by the fact that the players there couldn't play at the same level that he used to.

Sydney was a different thing altogether. Butcher was described as having "imperial arrogance" and arrived with an attitude of "I'm English so I know best. You're Australians, what do you know?" Completely stupid thing to do anywhere but Australia especially. He was then appropriately and justifiedly booted back to Britain.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he is getting a knee replacement in the summer rather than going to the World Cup to be a pundit.

Anyway, Butcher seems made for the Scottish game. If he gets ICT promoted and does well in the SPL, Ipswich may be looking at him after the Keane saga...

Maybe he did need more time but he didn't help his own cause due to the fact that his attitude stank - at Sydney especially. His record at Brentford was almost identical to that of Brewster at DUFC, but he was also very annoyed by the fact that the players there couldn't play at the same level that he used to.

Sydney was a different thing altogether. Butcher was described as having "imperial arrogance" and arrived with an attitude of "I'm English so I know best. You're Australians, what do you know?" Completely stupid thing to do anywhere but Australia especially. He was then appropriately and justifiedly booted back to Britain.

Well, i'm not privy to that information, but as far as ICT has gone, he seems to have kept his cool, respected the club and fans (even if he did lose his cool with some fans which I can understand) and been pretty articulate and level-headed. In that respect, we should judge him, not on past hearsay. I don't get the impression Butcher is arrogant. Passionate and a winner yes, but not arrogant. I've spent a lot of time with Aussies, and they are bristly as well, so it could have been a bad combination rather than the onus all on Terry? Just hypothesising..

Edited by Kirishima

Many of you may think that big Tel did his bit this year... -BUT, have you considered the number of desicions that could have gone either way and had effect on a respectable scoreline. I don't want to get in to semantics but i can't help thinking his credentials and established connections may have helped. You don't leave Rangers' captaincy without still having fingers in a few pies. I mean he wouldn't have got a job at Aberdeen. :lol:

What team do you support ??

You're absolutely right, Renegade.... but hopefully he's learned the hard way from his mistakes, and hopefully he's now getting the hang of this team management business.

I think for the moment - well at least for the next 3 games - we should give him all the encouragement we can muster.

Anyway, Butcher seems made for the Scottish game. If he gets ICT promoted and does well in the SPL, Ipswich may be looking at him after the Keane saga...

Well, i'm not privy to that information, but as far as ICT has gone, he seems to have kept his cool, respected the club and fans (even if he did lose his cool with some fans which I can understand) and been pretty articulate and level-headed. In that respect, we should judge him, not on past hearsay. I don't get the impression Butcher is arrogant. Passionate and a winner yes, but not arrogant. I've spent a lot of time with Aussies, and they are bristly as well, so it could have been a bad combination rather than the onus all on Terry? Just hypothesising..

One of things Australians hate though, is when people come from other places and then start criticising stuff. Butcher was away criticism everything from the standard of the A League, to the newspapers, even the quality of the coffee. Didn't do himself any favours there.

Don't particularly care about his past record...

He's doing the business for us and on the verge of achieving something truly remarkable - promotion from Division One at the first attempt. Really do not understand what people hope to achieve by being negative and knocking things constantly...

That's true, aussies rivalry with the english isn't great at the best of times...Terry seems to like the Scottish game, it perhaps mirrors his own style, no nonsense, old-fashioned, hard kind of football. The opposite of Mowbray even.

Overall I'd say Terry is adept at motivation, giving good pep talks, and instilling belief. If a team or group of players, Brentford for example, rail against that influence, it can spell disaster. But in a team like ICT, where they believe in their manager, it can reap rewards. Maybe thats why several players, vigurs etc, were shipped out.

Edited by Kirishima