FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Attendances

3,500 - 4,000 on average.

Shoots up to around 7,500 when we play Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic thanks to larger travelling supports and the sudden presence of Old Filth fans in the Home end who have a rare chance to see 'their' team play.

Thought there looked less than there was v Motherwell a couple of weeks ago when they said there was 3,600-odd.

Mind you, I was surprised at the number of Killie fans there today (even if half of them probably stay in Inverness). At least those who travelled all the way from Ayrshire had something to cheer them on the long journey back home.  :019:

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

We regularly got crowds this big when we were top of Division 3.

Until we're pulling in the same numbers as the likes of Dunfermline and St Mirren it'll always feel like we're a wee club, even though our catchment area would suggest otherwise.

No you didn't.

Typical averages in 96-97 were, off the top of my head, around 1700-1800, boosted to there the 5000 or so for Highland Derbies and by rather bigger crowds for special one off occasions like the opening of the Caledonian Stadium and the presentation of the Division 3 trophy. There was a temporary upsurge when the stadium had just opened, such as something like 2400 for Montrose but I doubt if there were much more than perhaps three occasions, all one offs, outwith County games when the crowd was above 3500.

I don't have a copy of my book at hand just now but I'll check and update or make another post tomorrow.

Well remembered Charles. I've got the benefit of SFL handbooks here. The 1st game at the new stadium drew 3734 v Albion R.

Then after the Ross Co game (4562) things settled down to around 1500. As the season neared an end and promotion got closer, crowds hovered around the 3000 mark

The other 2 games that topped 3500 in 96/97 were :-

Ross Co 5525 and Forfar last home game 3649.

Thanks Stevie. Overnight I've checked out the same statistics from a different source and the only other points that I'd make are, as you've shown, there are only TWO non County crowds of above 3500, both of them for special occasions, and also that even these were a result of the combined effects of the title and the novelty of a new stadium.

Interestingly there weren't even 3500 for either the clinching of promotion or the title in earlier recollection of the average for 96-97 is a bit low - it was nearer 2500, including the four crowds of above 3500.

I also have a memory of a crowd of over 4900 at Telford Street in January 1996 for a postponed New Year derby. There was much of an SPL card on that night two but Inverness produced something like the third biggest crowd of the night.

10 Home games so far this season

10 game total = 45817

Average = 4582

ICT 1-2 St Mirren = 4267

ICT 0-0 Hibs = 4623

ICT 1-1 Celtic = 7332

ICT 0-0 dundee Utd = 3586

ICT 1-0 Dunfermline = 3517

ICT 3-2 Falkirk = 3749

ICT 1-1 Aberdeen = 5744

ICT 0-0 Hearts = 5603

ICT 0-1 Motherwell = 3668

ICT 3-4 Kilmarnock = 3728

Thanks.  Not having been home in quite a while i had wondered if old grudges had been settled and crowds improved.  Looking at that, its hard to say. 

For myself, the only live games i attend are Celtics away Champions League games.....so i can watch the b*stards get humped.  :004:

In inaugural season 94/95 the average was 1275.

In 95/96 it was 1579. Both of these seasons were entirely at Telford Street.

The first half of 96/97, which included the opening of the Stadium in November 96, yielded 2300. It was 2676 for the second half (with the winning of promotion, the Third Division title and the trophy presentation - don't say that just the OF attract glory hunters!), giving an average of over 2500 for that whole season.

(Ref "Against All Odd" pp128 and 132.)

Into Divisions 2 and 3 these averages dropped, partly due to the loss of the novelty factor, partly due to less frequent victories and also due to the disappearance of derbies for some years.

Guest Suspicious Mind

Scotty

Speaking as one even more hen pecked than you FFS don't let her catch you calling her "the wife". I am often reminded, usually by a flying object (unbreakable if I'm lucky) that it is "my wife".

Scars to prove it!