FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scouting in Dingwall today - our new signing and other potential buys

hislopsoffsideagain

Still in a daze after coming off nightshifts on Friday morning, I decided to give the rugby a miss (good idea, it turns out :007:) and brave the elements (well, a little bit of drizzle) and take in the travelling folks' match with Livingscum.  The visitors won 2-0, the game lit up by an absolute screamer late on by a Livi sub called Liam Fox...I'm sure I remember that name from somewhere...

Anyroad, the main focus of my attention was very much Don Cowie, who spent most of his time on the right touchline.  Right now he is clearly the only County player capable of stringing a pass together, looking creative and dangerous but never quite able to carve an opening, though County's strikers look about as dangerous as a rubber knife.  He looks like he would make a useful squad player, though whether he can be a regular for us is another matter.

There were a few other guys on the pitch that we've been linked with recently - notably Sean Webb and James McPake.  Both are very much out of the Dods school of defending, and I have to say that I was very impressed with McPake, though he tends to thump the ball into the stands whenever he's within 30 yards of his own goal.  One goalsaving challenge in the second half was very impressive.  He's young as well - only 22 I think.

One guy who is worth keeping an eye on as well is Joe Hamill.  Remember him from Hearts?  Levein took him to Leicester but that didn't work out so he signed for Livi in the summer.  He went off with a knock after an hour but he looks too good for Division 1 and would be a potential replacement for Wilson.

Oh, by the way, Golly played for Livi and looks just as uncomfortable as he did at the start of the season.  Not sure he'll be challenging Hastings ever again... 

I was also at the game today and found Cowie's distribution was of the top drawer similar to Rankin he gets goals from everywhere . Personnally, I'm excited having another goalscoring midfielder at the club . He can also play wide right as over for Wilson if needed as he had shown today. I see our midfield next year as . . .

WILSON  COWIE  RANKIN  McBAIN

:football01:

He just wasn't quite good enough for us. Unfortunately he arrived at the same time as Blackie, and hehas gone from strength to strength............bookings aside................whereas Foxy ....bless him.........never produced the goods when given the opportunity.

Hope he continues to progress, as he obviously has some potential................he is just a bit slower at peaking than others, his time may well come.

He just wasn't quite good enough for us. Unfortunately he arrived at the same time as Blackie, and hehas gone from strength to strength............bookings aside................whereas Foxy ....bless him.........never produced the goods when given the opportunity.

Hope he continues to progress, as he obviously has some potential................he is just a bit slower at peaking than others, his time may well come.

Cut the bullshyt .... he was pysh  :016:

I was amongst illustrious company on my first trip to Victoria Park this season with Charlie Christie and Gordon Strachan in attendance.

Obviously there were past, present(?) and future players on display for both teams in what was a very important game for our near neighbours.

It was almost sad to see how much RC poorer are now then they are were even last season. I saw them play 6 or 7 times last year and they looked half decent but then again we did pinch Rankin from them.

The esteemed Charles Bannerman said this was a good prefromance from them as well so I'm glad I missed earlier performances.

According to rumours 2 potentail centre halves for us were on view. Webb from County and McPake from Livingston. It's always hard to judge on 1 performance but Webb was rubbish today whilst the Livingston lad looked half decent. IHE wrong again I HOPE!!  :004:

Golly lined up in direct opposition to Cowie today and hardly broke sweat. I'd like to give Cowie the benefit of the doubt and assume he is just going through the motions till he gets his move to the big league but apart from a couple of nice dead ball deliveries he was really basically MIA. Whilst mentioning Golly he delivered a rather good powerful free kick in the first half but was largely anonymous in the game. The 1st division may well be his domain because he didn't scream 'quality player' with his play today.

2 of our 'former' players did make an impact today. I thought Mark McCulloch was the man of the match in central midfield although they officially gave it to the Celtic loanee Gardyne?? for his dodgy haircut. Liam Fox came on as as sub and did nothing apart from score a 25-30 yard screamer.

When we lost Mark Brown someone suggested we should go for Craig Samson as back up. If they'd been at today's game they would have cringed. He is a liability to any team. How he is still in goal for County surely has to reflect on there league position.

There was a huge made up crowd figure at the game today but the few RC fans that were left at full time were reflecting on cheaper season ticket prices next season - I tend to agree

There were a few other guys on the pitch that we've been linked with recently - notably Sean Webb and James McPake.  Both are very much out of the Dods school of defending, and I have to say that I was very impressed with McPake, though he tends to thump the ball into the stands whenever he's within 30 yards of his own goal.  One goalsaving challenge in the second half was very impressive.  He's young as well - only 22 I think.

Yeah I watched McPake closely in the Livvy-Celtic game on the telly a couple of weeks ago after IHE's "exclusive tip-off", and I thought he looked like a potential replacement for Dods. He was originally a centre-forward, so we'd be getting two players for the price of one !

Just posted a similar thread without seeing this one -ooppss!!

Can't say I agree with Rankin24 assessment of Cowie though he looked VERY average in a very poor team - I only hope there is more to come.

Hislopsoffsideagain is probably right with his assessments of Webb and McPake. The livingston lad far outshone the NI international who may be tall but is very lightweight

I fear Golly will now be resigned to our infamous Hall Of Fame as he looks comfortable at 1st Division level  :006:

One guy who is worth keeping an eye on as well is Joe Hamill.  Remember him from Hearts?  Levein took him to Leicester but that didn't work out so he signed for Livi in the summer.  He went off with a knock after an hour but he looks too good for Division 1 and would be a potential replacement for Wilson.

I do remember him from his Hearts days. A huge talent but very inconsistent and seem to remember he was very easy to knock off the ball. If he could add a bit of muscle he'd be brilliant

I do remember him from his Hearts days. A huge talent but very inconsistent and seem to remember he was very easy to knock off the ball. If he could add a bit of muscle he'd be brilliant

Levein would have him at United if he thought he was up to it. Far too lightweight