FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

McSwegan Seeks New Deal

RiG

Sophia has the best post on this one - Gary was given a great chance by Charlie to cap his career at the top level but it is now 'Adios amigo, thanks for the memories'. Had he scored a few key goals he might be just about in line for a new contract but there are stacks of good players desperate for the SPL who have more to offer.

Much of the resentment probably stems from the fact that he came from County and he could not get a regular game for them, albeit curtailed by injury problems.

McSweggan has scored a few hat-tricks over the years and was in the Scotland squad a few times. At his peak he was a decent player who would have been welcomed at ICT with open arms, but, he has seen better days although his experience on the ball is not in doubt. Time stands still for nobody, for Gary, the ICT experience has just arrived too late. As said before, he came here as a stop gap striker, that I believe is where the union should end, but no ill feelings from tm4tj camp.

Guest sophia

Mantis,

I seem to remember a midweek late season friendly / testimonial.

You know what, I can't even remember what incarnation of our team was playing that night.

Spencer and McSwegen would both have been playing so I guess it was Caledonian v what was essentially Rangers reserves. I've got an even hazier recollection of 2-0 win for the Glasgow side with one goal being a typical McSwegen drive.

Guest sophia

Sergei Pavlovich Baltacha won many caps for a great Soviet Union team and a European Cup Winners Cup medal for Dynamo Kiev. This marks him out, in my opinion, as our biggest signing.

He took part in the notorious game in Govan when Graeme Souness reduced the width of the Ibrox pitch and the Kiev keeper inexplicably through threw (oops) the ball down to a Rangers striker for one of them to roll the ball into the net.

If I remember, Ally McCoist won the tie by pretending to head the ball towards the far post whilst making contact with the ball with a different part of his head and sending it into the net at the near post.

I'm afraid that the years between biggest and best signings are many.

McSwegen and Baltacha had at least one thing in common.

"When did he prove he has a good shot"?

Well off the top of my head

v Olympique Marseille

in the Scottish Cup Final

and at Telford St

All very helpful for ICT.

I would agree that Shearer is perhaps the biggest name to come to ICT.

would much rather keep mcswegan over rory despite his age!

what?!

a thirty six (i think) year old who has no pace and cant do anything with his intelligence as a result, over someone who has just been in the under twetntys and isnt brilliant now, but might be and might offer us a good few years of service?

Guest kingkojak

yep.  tbh im sick of seeing rory getting a game.  even potential has to produce something eventually. he has had a huge amount of games this season and produced feck all. 

i havent seen anything in the kid that looks like he can cut it at this level.  i dont proclaim to be an expert  - its just my opinion. 

id love to be proved wrong but we have enough strikers firing blanks as it is...