FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Supporters Buses

DornochCaley

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest birdog

Have split this from the other topic as I didn't feel it was a necessary part of the discussion on what games people would attend.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

You know what birdog, I was actually trying to prevent yet another thread being dragged off into another bitching and moanfest. Something I thought you might have appreciated given your recent calls for peace and patience....but no, like a few people on here, everything else goes right out the window the moment you get a chance to create a little mayhem and stir up an argument with one or more of the site moderators.

So, if anyone has any complaints about another thread of moans and complaints can I respectfully request that you send your PM's to birdog as it is he who requested that it be allowed to run.

to be honest birdog it's not quite as funny as it seems...

I've travelled on the official Supporters Club buses a few times and though pretty well organised they don't meet my needs.

we left Inverness at 10am and then stopped in Perth, sometimes by the time you get in and out of there it's nearly an hour. there's not too many exciting places to go around Perth bus station... On more than a couple of occasions we arrived at the ground either 10-15 minutes before ko or missed it by the same margin. one of these games was the jimmy johnston tibute game at Parkhead. it would have been good to be in the ground at least 30 mins before ko in order to take it all in but we missed the first 10 mins... on the way home we stopped in Perth again. probably for around 30 mins which in itself isn't too bad. No drinking on the bus - well except for those and such as those...

I'd far rather leaving a bit earlier, heading straight for the ground we're playing at and being able to meet up with fellow supporters or ICT and in all possiblity fans of the oppostition and have a drink in a hostelry before hand.

So - in short - the supporters club buses don't really meet my needs nor those of many of my friends.

we also have to ask ourselves why some of the younger travelling support get the train to games (including some of those closely related to the bus convener)....

Guest birdog

You know what birdog, I was actually trying to prevent yet another thread being dragged off into another bitching and moanfest. Something I thought you might have appreciated given your recent calls for peace and patience....but no, like a few people on here, everything else goes right out the window the moment you get a chance to create a little mayhem and stir up an argument with one or more of the site moderators.

So, if anyone has any complaints about another thread of moans and complaints can I respectfully request that you send your PM's to birdog as it is he who requested that it be allowed to run.

Refer to my PM for response Don.

I will say I agree that naming names is not healthy but the supporters bus is critical to how many games I will attend, I had not thought about seeking info until nearer the time but now that the subject has been raised......

So - in short - the supporters club buses don't really meet my needs nor those of many of my friends.

we also have to ask ourselves why some of the younger travelling support get the train to games (including some of those closely related to the bus convener)....

I get the train when i go to the away games so a can have a right good swally!! The bus its to restrictive and doesnt have a beer selling cart!

Another 'lets slag the supporters bus off' forum.

I am a fan of the bus.

I get to see other fans and its the only way I can get to away games.

Kath Fraser is a nice woman and organizes it well along with the other comity members :rotflmao: !

Guest birdog

so Dornoch casual what is your problem with the bus?

Please try not to name names Dornoch as I don't want my PM box filling up, especially seeing as I am not a moderator, I did not ask for the responsibility, nor do I want it. I am unsure as to why CaleyD automatically assumed that this would end up being a negative thread (or indeed negative twist to an already running thread) but the fact that he did and the manner in which he treated the issue leads me to assume that there are a good few negative aspects to the supporters bus. Having said that though, MissICT seems to think that the bus is a good experience so someone like myself who has not used it may well be inclined to find out for ourselves now.

Edited by birdog

ok, can we please stop the pissing contest. This has been split away into its own separate thread because the original asked "what away games might you make it to?" not how might you get there. This one is about the narrower topic of supporters busses. Both are valid threads and although there may be some crossover in terms of people only going to certain games depending on what is happening in regards to the busses, they will remain separate.

I think Arbroath2ICT5 makes a very good starting point for the discussion in this post http://community.caleythistleonline.com/in...st&p=195319.

The supporters bus is good, but it does NOT fit everyone's needs. If you want cheap travel, and do not mind making the same stops as it has made for years then its fine. The hard work is also done for you as Kath organises it and anyone who has run a bus will tell you that is not the easiest task !

However, as someone who also started running a bus for some games a few years ago, I know it doesnt fit all needs. We had the same problem as already posted ... we wanted to leave early so we could get to the destination in reasonable time and have a few beers with other ICT fans and opposition fans we knew, and coming back up the road we wanted the flexibility to stop wherever we wanted, be it Perth, Pitlochry, Aviemore or wherever. Thats why we had a bus for a few games ........

I have nothing against Kath Fraser. But as a few have already said, the bus she runs doesnt fit everyones needs, so atleast if we have another one or two people can have the choice to go on the one which fits as many of thier needs as possible. Ok, i understand is probably not the easest job in the world but im sure there are things another supporters bus could do to make it better for some fans. e.g Leaving earler, less time at first in Perth and other things. I was only really asking this to see if anyone elts is/are planning to run another bus.

the no drink rule is LAW, nothing to do with Kath or the Bus Operators. Both can be heavily fined along with the person caught drinking if the police check a bus and choose to take action. The same applies for any "private" busses organised by others .... the organiser and driver may let you drink but they are taking a hell of a risk ... better to stop on the way down or back and have a few pints.

the no drink rule is LAW, nothing to do with Kath or the Bus Operators. Both can be heavily fined along with the person caught drinking if the police check a bus and choose to take action. The same applies for any "private" busses organised by others .... the organiser and driver may let you drink but they are taking a hell of a risk ... better to stop on the way down or back and have a few pints.

against the law is true scotty. as someone who was involved in the supporters club from the very start i can say that we did a lot of research on the subject.

the law actually states that it is against the law to drink on a bus (and i think certain trains - not the really early ones...) if that bus is going to or from a (any)sporting event. i'm sure some of our legal eagles will point out the errors in that statement at some point!

if you do get caught the bus company, the driver and the person who hired the bus are all fined... remember the police stopping and checking buses and bottles of juice on the way to the scotland italy game not so long ago!

funnily enough, once you cross the border south it's fine to have a wee dram and conversely all drink must be off the bus by the border on the way back!

Organise your own bus mate. I have helped organise buses on a few occasions - the main thing is finding someone with the required licenses who is willing to drive a bunch of lads about all day.

Either that or take the train. If you book early enough you can get good deals and you can take drink on.

I'm with Chris - if you are not happy with the Supporters Club one then do it yourself, use your initiative and put one on yourself. That way you go go when you want, where you want and do what you want - apart from drink, obviously... May I also add that I would consider it rather juvenile to come on and say you don't want to use the bus that Kath runs (actually, it is the Supp Club that runs it, she is bus convenor) if you are not going to make a reasoned argument nor offer alternative suggestions or constructive advice. The bus doesn't always suit me so I simply don't use it - end of story!

I too have been involved with running buses to games and when you see the responsibility, and to an even greater extent, the financial gamble involved, then you may think again.

I'm with Chris - if you are not happy with the Supporters Club one then do it yourself, use your initiative and put one on yourself. That way you go go when you want, where you want and do what you want - apart from drink, obviously... May I also add that I would consider it rather juvenile to come on and say you don't want to use the bus that Kath runs (actually, it is the Supp Club that runs it, she is bus convenor) if you are not going to make a reasoned argument nor offer alternative suggestions or constructive advice. The bus doesn't always suit me so I simply don't use it - end of story!

I too have been involved with running buses to games and when you see the responsibility, and to an even greater extent, the financial gamble involved, then you may think again.

If you notice, i did come up with an alternative, another bus. So people have the choice between the two. Also was unreasonable about what i said? I was simply stating another bus would be good.

Guest birdog

If you notice, i did come up with an alternative, another bus. So people have the choice between the two. Also was unreasonable about what i said? I was simply stating another bus would be good.

Reading his first post I would have to totally agree with DC, I think perhaps that it is quizzer who is being juvenile coming on to a thread just to call people names.

Reading his first post I would have to totally agree with DC, I think perhaps that it is quizzer who is being juvenile coming on to a thread just to call people names.

Quality. Not often people back me up on this forum :D

Guest birdog

Quality. Not often people back me up on this forum :D

Even though I'm more of Embo decent living in Dornoch, those of us stuck in C*unty country have to stick the gether ;)

Would anyone be up for getting a mini-bus for away days? 12 or 16 seater something like that. Set of about 8 or 9 in the morning and stop off at a few pubs on the way down and the way back up.

Show of hands if you would be up for that? I for one am :D

Guest birdog

Would anyone be up for getting a mini-bus for away days? 12 or 16 seater something like that. Set of about 8 or 9 in the morning and stop off at a few pubs on the way down and the way back up.

Show of hands if you would be up for that? I for one am ;)

:D When I am on leave and the funds are good then yes, if the bus was arranged with plenty of notice then myself and possibly 3 others (wife and kids) could be persuaded to use it.

Have been on the supporters bus about 5 times, every time we've arrived safely and in good time. I agree with Dc in that it doesn't suit everyone, and as i put my tin hat on i feel its more suited to the older fans. Would love another bus simply because i find the journey a bit tedious on Kaths bus, oh and btw it is actually illegal to drink on supporters buses so no matter who ran the bus they couldn't "condone" drinking.

Reading his first post I would have to totally agree with DC, I think perhaps that it is quizzer who is being juvenile

coming on to a thread just to call people names.

Don't think you'll find anywhere within my post where I called anyone any names, on the contrary actually, I posted as I found the OP's first post came across as a personal attack. I certainly didn't come on here simply to call anyone names, I was joining the discussion and putting forward my point.

It's easy to criticise the way buses are run but I challenge anyone else to put one on every fortnight on a regular basis! For someone to organise a bus personally (without a business/club/organisation behind them) is a lot of work and as I said before, a big financial gamble as I believe a day's bus hire is approx ?500, as well a lot of work and organisation. I can't see any pubs or businesses running them to away games as they simply have nothing to gain.

Edited by quizzer