FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Remarkable comebacks

DoofersDad

Dundee did well to overturn a 2 goal deficit to beat us last week and Burnley fought back from 5 - 0 down yesterday to only lose 5 - 3 to West Ham. But these comebacks pale into insignificance compared to the the antics of Soham Town Rangers in the Division one - Midlands of the Zamaretto league (formerly the Southern League).

Last weekend, away from home, they were 4 goals down after only 20 minutes but fought back to draw the game 4 - 4.

Yesterday, at home, it appeared that they had learnt their lesson. Far from being caught cold again, they raced into a 4 goal lead after only 28 minutes.

But had they really learnt their lesson? Not a bit of it! Remarkably, their opponents proceded to repeat the comeback of the previous week with the game again ending 4 - 4.

Does anyone know any comeback stories to match that?

I was at a Scotland U21 game v Lithuania a few years ago where we needed 3 points to win the group ahead of Germany. 0-2 with 10 minutes to go, got 1 back then Stephen Hughes scored 2 in injury time to make it 3-2.

But in the Pele days at ICT, that sort of thing was not uncommon. You never batted an eyelid at going behind, whereas these days you know it's pretty much over. Come to think of it, when we take the lead you suspect its over too.

I remember Man Utd coming back with 2 last seconds goals vs Bayern in the champions league final in the late 90's

The germans had taken an early lead, Sheringham and then Solskjer(?) scoring to leave the germans totally gutted!

There can only be one winner for me. Man City at White Hart Lane a few years ago in the FA Cup, 3-0 down at half time and had Joey Barton sent off at the break only for them to win 4-3.

Dundee did well to overturn a 2 goal deficit to beat us last week and Burnley fought back from 5 - 0 down yesterday to only lose 5 - 3 to West Ham. But these comebacks pale into insignificance compared to the the antics of Soham Town Rangers in the Division one - Midlands of the Zamaretto league (formerly the Southern League).

Last weekend, away from home, they were 4 goals down after only 20 minutes but fought back to draw the game 4 - 4.

Yesterday, at home, it appeared that they had learnt their lesson. Far from being caught cold again, they raced into a 4 goal lead after only 28 minutes.

But had they really learnt their lesson? Not a bit of it! Remarkably, their opponents proceded to repeat the comeback of the previous week with the game again ending 4 - 4.

Does anyone know any comeback stories to match that?

Back to the mighty Soham Town Rangers. Having decided that being 4-0 down seemed to guarantee a 4- 4 draw, they went 4-0 down again this week. However, the tactic is not infallible: they lost 6-0.

My BB's team were 5-0 down, we clawed it back to 5-5 before we conceded again and lost our goalie to injury but we grabbed an equaliser and got a 6-6 draw.

What game was that and when?

It was a BB's 7-A-side outdoor league game. I can't remember who against. It was at the Bught park in the summer of 2003.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mahonio

Celtic drawing 3-3 v Rapid Vienna when they went behind after a minute and 3 down after 20 and also with conditions against them and not the 1st team.

That has to be among the top comebacks?

• 2 weeks later...

When I started this thread, I had in the back of my mind a game in the Sothern League cup a few years ago but I couldn't recall the details. I have now found it and it is remarkable not so much for the comeback but what happened after.

This was in the 3rd round of the cup in 2004 and late in the 2nd half Rugby Town went 2-0 up. It stayed that way till 3 minutes from time when Sutton Coldfield pulled a goal back before equalising in injury time. Then in Extra time, Sutton Coldfield scored 6 times with one player scoring 4.

2-0 down with 3 minutes to go and then winning 8-2 is not bad!