A Picture of Heaven

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S GOT A BRIDGE AND A CASTLE - OLDE INVERNESS IS WONDERFUL :smile:

1374205_10202018331329913_448984290_n.jp

That's actually a bridge and TWO castles. Inverness Castle and Castle Tolmie!

When I was about 3 my dad had a seat for me on the bar of his bike and we were just turning left from Huntly Street on to the bridge at the left hand little tower there when we fell off. My tears were quenched by a lady giving me chocolate.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when an angler hooked a fish in the Legion Pool he would cross the bridge passing his rod hand to hand under each of the cable supports until he got to the other side of the river bank to land it. Why I don't know. Huge crowds would stop to watch the spectacle.

However I think I must be mis-remembering ( though the image is clear in my mind)  as I don't see how he got the rod through the big tower. Any old-timer fishermen care to enlighten me?

• 3 weeks later...

I remember when an angler hooked a fish in the Legion Pool he would cross the bridge passing his rod hand to hand under each of the cable supports until he got to the other side of the river bank to land it. Why I don't know. Huge crowds would stop to watch the spectacle.

However I think I must be mis-remembering ( though the image is clear in my mind)  as I don't see how he got the rod through the big tower. Any old-timer fishermen care to enlighten me?

Maybe there's a byelaw which states that any fish caught in the Leejun Pool from the Leejun side belong to the Leejun so they can sell them to boost their seriously ailing coffers!

• 2 months later...

I mind when I went paddling in the river from just outside the Baths, cut my foot on a broken glass and left a bloody footprint from there into the Library where I borrowed my usual four books !!!!!!!!!!

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Take a look at how beautifully built these road walls were approaching the bridge. You won't see such symmetry nowadays because it's all about money and real artisans, who once took great pride in their work,are something of a thing of the past--at least here in Canada .

Cheers  Scarlet

• 9 months later...

That's a lovely old pic of Telford Street. At the back, Scorguie was yet a planners dream!

And the actual goals have traditional 'stantions'! None of this continental 'square netting'!

Hey, I bet the actual game went ahead too! God I'm feeling nostalgic!

Cheers for your outstanding photos IHE.

• Agree 1

Love this phottie - Dalneigh being built and shows my trail down from the Craig, past Balnafettack and on to the hallowed ground.

There is not much in Dalneigh, the High School looks new and there are no houses on the west side of Laurel Avenue, looking at the block 21-27 it looks as the roof is half slated and others beyond look under construction.  Could you imagine how many houses Macrae or Tulloch would have built there!

Love this phottie - Dalneigh being built and shows my trail down from the Craig, past Balnafettack and on to the hallowed ground.

There is not much in Dalneigh, the High School looks new and there are no houses on the west side of Laurel Avenue, looking at the block 21-27 it looks as the roof is half slated and others beyond look under construction.  Could you imagine how many houses Macrae or Tulloch would have built there!

I could guess that this photo was taken between 1936, when the High School was built, and the late 40s when much of "new" Dalneigh went up. I am tempted to go for the late 40s since it seems that the Swedish houses in Limetree Avenue and Maple Drive are starting to appear. As far as I am aware these did not start going up until about then. The one thing that worries me slightly is that the HORSA huts don't seem to be there in the High School yet and I would have expected these pretty soon after the war since HORSA means Huts On he Raising of the Schoolleaving Age which I think was implemented by a 1945 Act.

That's a lovely old pic of Telford Street. At the back, Scorguie was yet a planners dream!

And the actual goals have traditional 'stantions'! None of this continental 'square netting'!

Hey, I bet the actual game went ahead too! God I'm feeling nostalgic!

Cheers for your outstanding photos IHE.

Doing the same for me Sneckboy! Wonderful memories. I wonder if that was taken during the Baltic winter of 1963 and which point the distillery would still be there? And indeed.. the game probably DID go ahead :laugh: Difficult to make out whether the goals are made of square wood or of more modern material of circular cross section - I suspect the former.

Under the circumstances it might be useful to clarify to the uninitiated that "the Craig" actually refers to the location of IHE's family home and is not a reference to the Big Brown House!

What's that long road on the right of the picture? is it Fairfield Road by any chance?

Scarlet, the road on the right is Rangemore Road which joins onto Caledonian Road. They run parallel to Fairfield Road which would be off-screen to the right.

• Agree 1