FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Offensive Behaviour at Football.

I'm surprised no one has highlighted this so far....

So much for the pathetically feckless Offensive Behaviour at Football Act.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/scottish-premier-league-8-000-fans-turn-turn-121232012--sow.html

My first thought here is that I don't actually blame either club. This is clear evidence that both Rangers and Celtic have been hijacked by elements of a sick society which seems to be overwhelmed by some bizarre need for vehicles through which to express hatred and antagonism. And, despite the provisions of Holyrood's most absurd piece of legislation, it is reported that mayhem like this resulted in only THREE arrests! It therefore seems even more ironic that this can happen with impunity at the very epicentre of this problem while the same Police Scotland can threaten the liberty of County and ICT fans indulging in harmless banter at a Highland Derby.

At least, as arrangements stand at the moment, this social sickness is mercifully diluted by the fact that it exists in a wider community of 60 million UK citizens. One major concern in the event of a yes vote would be that this west central Scottish affliction would become a much more concentrated evil within a narrower and more limited society.

But that's possibly a viewpoint for another forum....

In the summer, a huge crowd of spectators will be gathering in Glasgow for, not the Commonwealth Games, but a Diamond League meeting at Hampden which in athletics terms is arguably even more prestigious.

The date for Glasgow's opportunity to showcase itself to all these visitors?

July 12th!

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Thanks for pointing this out.  I agree that the main blame cannot be laid at the doors of the 2 clubs - much as I dislike both of them.  The alarmimg statistic is that only 3 people (can't call them "fans") were arrested despite the number of police and availability of CCTV.  As long as people behaving in this abhorant way are allowed to get away with it they will continue to behave in this way. 

I can understand decisions to play games behind closed doors but isn't that evidence of a complete failure of our criminal justice system?  These games should be open to genuine fans but if high policing levels are deemed to be necessary then someone has to pay for it.  In my book people found guilty of these crimes should be the ones to pay.  If punitive fines were levied on these thugs then that could go towards paying the policing costs.  In this day and age it should also be possible to effectively ban these folk from grounds for good using electronic recognition.

It pains me to say it but I am increasingly concerned about the attitudes of the police these days. There is a lack of willingness to get involved and make arrests. No wonder statistics for violent crime are down. This ties in with comments on another thread about the lack of action by police over a criminal assualt on one of our fans at Parkhead at the weekend. Meanwhile I have seen speed traps and cars stopped for speeding on the approach to the Kessock Bridge works at a time of day when traffic flow is low and there can be no realistic reason why it is not safe to use that stretch of the dual carriageway as normal. 

The clubs are often held accountable for the behaviour of their "fans" but realistically they have little influence on what they do.  It is the police's job to enforce law and order and it 's about time they started doing what they are paid for.

I'm surprised no one has highlighted this so far....

So much for the pathetically feckless Offensive Behaviour at Football Act.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/scottish-premier-league-8-000-fans-turn-turn-121232012--sow.html

My first thought here is that I don't actually blame either club. This is clear evidence that both Rangers and Celtic have been hijacked by elements of a sick society which seems to be overwhelmed by some bizarre need for vehicles through which to express hatred and antagonism. And, despite the provisions of Holyrood's most absurd piece of legislation, it is reported that mayhem like this resulted in only THREE arrests! It therefore seems even more ironic that this can happen with impunity at the very epicentre of this problem while the same Police Scotland can threaten the liberty of County and ICT fans indulging in harmless banter at a Highland Derby.

At least, as arrangements stand at the moment, this social sickness is mercifully diluted by the fact that it exists in a wider community of 60 million UK citizens. One major concern in the event of a yes vote would be that this west central Scottish affliction would become a much more concentrated evil within a narrower and more limited society.

But that's possibly a viewpoint for another forum....

In the summer, a huge crowd of spectators will be gathering in Glasgow for, not the Commonwealth Games, but a Diamond League meeting at Hampden which in athletics terms is arguably even more prestigious.

The date for Glasgow's opportunity to showcase itself to all these visitors?

July 12th!

A valid post and one I entirely agreed with until the utterly illogical and irrational attempt to cite the actions of a number of idiots as an argument against independence. The no camp make some spurious points but that just about takes the biscuit.

• Agree 4

I struggle to see how a yes vote concentrates this bell-endery. These - and I hesitate to use the word - people will return from whichever community they crawled and come out again as and when the ugly sisters clash whether it is the 17th of March, the 12th of July or the 19th of September.

Actually, in the case of a yes vote could we not just deport the feckers to whichever version of Ireland they profess to love?

• Agree 1

I would call it a rather good example of how West Central Scotland, with its various social, medical, religious problems etc would emerge as a much bigger issue for the proposed, much smaller alternative to the status quo. But since this is a football forum, and the bait has been risen to, let's instead look ahead at how Police Scotland might respond to relatively harmless banter at future Highland Derbies.

ok, lets stay on topic .... independence debate is for another thread.

Personally, I find it ridiculous that the police are allowed to continue with this overt set of double standards. 3 arrests? Its not like they couldnt see it coming either given the link at the bottom of the article to the same crap from the previous year ..... yet our supporters at Parkhead can be robbed and assaulted with impunity. 

I don't see West Central Scotland will be much different whether Government be devolved or independent. I doubt Dave or Gideon give a shiney shight about Scotland in whole or part.

And I would expect PS to react in their usual diplomatic way.

Anyhow, given none of our defence have been even questioned after various comic episodes, I have no faith in the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act.

Edited by HawkeyeTheGnu
  • Agree 1

On reflection, I suspect the Police Scotland are too busy elsewhere to be concerned with this.

On the basis of the relative attendances by opposition fans at our last two games against Aberdeen, they must be investigating the disappearance of around 39,000 people in the Granite City.

• Agree 3

Oh Chuckles!

Internet trolling at your age. You really should know better.

I blame the education system.

Edited by KingBeastie