FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Photo stuff

The Mantis

Nice site, didn't realise you were from Lasswade. You ever in the Laird and Dog?

Aye, Polton Inn is the local, but prefer the Laird.

Cool pics Mantis. However I can't seem to find one of Brewster leaving TCS with his stuff in a bin bag. One to work on.

Oh, and if ever you need a nude model.......

I've always seen you as a Rubens rather than a Lowry :rotflmao:

Braw snaps Mantis, noo,eh dinnae ken a thing about fotee's but, see that one of the Sligachan burn,is that an intentional replication of a classic pic or just coincidence? I grew up wi that pic on our hall wall in Dundee as meh Ma worked in Sligachan hotel as a girl.

Braw snaps Mantis, noo,eh dinnae ken a thing about fotee's but, see that one of the Sligachan burn,is that an intentional replication of a classic pic or just coincidence? I grew up wi that pic on our hall wall in Dundee as meh Ma worked in Sligachan hotel as a girl.

Must be coincidence Dee - I take it your Maw's pic was a painting though :rotflmao:

1/30 sec on a tripod to get the movement in the burn. Really heavy showers that day but it pays to go out as the light can be stunning in between showers.

Another one which I mebbe stole off yer Maw is the bridge at Sligachan scanned from a slide I took in 1991

1654183060_1bf07672af_m.jpg

This is on Flickr in a whole set of Skye photos.

Edited by The Mantis

Cool site. I intended to do something similar but haven't been bothered to get round to it. I'll probably just stick with Flickr until I can be bothered to go through my photo's properly.

What content management system have you used to create the site? If/when I get round to mine I'll probably use Joomla with some gallery plugins...

Cool site. I intended to do something similar but haven't been bothered to get round to it. I'll probably just stick with Flickr until I can be bothered to go through my photo's properly.

What content management system have you used to create the site? If/when I get round to mine I'll probably use Joomla with some gallery plugins...

Just the mention of bridging Joomla with some of the better gallery applications brings me out in a sweat....I'm away for a lie down now.

Yup - Joomla can be a biatch to bridge with some of them ..... we know all about it !!!!! Its not so much the software as the login/authentication thats a headache.

Jay - if you are using Flickr, give serious consideration to Gallery2. There is a plugin which will import/export photos directly between Flickr and the website ... It may save you a heap of hassle and although the procedure can be a little fiddly, it can bridge with Joomla.

I am currently investigating Gallery2 for my 2009 update of TFCpics.com as most TFC fans seem to prefer using personal Flickr accounts as opposed to a central gallery. With G2, they can do both !!!

The TFCpics.com site currently runs on a bridged install of Coppermine (which we used to use on here) and its not too bad to setup.

If you want to dispense with bridging completely, try looking at RSGallery - its plain, simple and apart from a messy directory structure on the server (doesnt put pics in easily identifiable named folders) its great.

Cheers for the advice! I currently have a website that I had intended to use to provide free technical support but so far it's not proving to be very popular. I've used Joomla and PHPbb3 for the forum software but I'm waiting on a plugin called JFusion to centralize all the admin and authentication for both databases to become a release candidate (I think it's still an alpha at the moment). Site is here if interested.

I hope one of you guys can spare a minute to explain what you're on about in words of one syllable :rotflmao:

I'm a bit long in the tooth for that - I'm afraid the days of me constructing web pages from scratch ended when they stopped putting .htm at the end of the URL!

I'm using one off the peg from photium.com, I don't know how you would define it, or what you think of the cost. Anyway I signed up for a year and the guy's really helpful.....

Cheers for the advice! I currently have a website that I had intended to use to provide free technical support but so far it's not proving to be very popular. I've used Joomla and PHPbb3 for the forum software but I'm waiting on a plugin called JFusion to centralize all the admin and authentication for both databases to become a release candidate (I think it's still an alpha at the moment). Site is here if interested.

Wouldn't hold your breath on J!Fusion, it's been in development for as long as I can remember and we've yet to see a release that comes close to doing what it says. We had a version of it which we trialled on one of our test sites when doing a site revamp and it also clashed with a lot of other PHP based modules/components rendering them useless.

I hope one of you guys can spare a minute to explain what you're on about in words of one syllable :rotflmao:

I'm a bit long in the tooth for that - I'm afraid the days of me constructing web pages from scratch ended when they stopped putting .htm at the end of the URL!

I'm using one off the peg from photium.com, I don't know how you would define it, or what you think of the cost. Anyway I signed up for a year and the guy's really helpful.....

The things being talked about do not involve constructing websites from scratch, they are CMS (Content Management Systems) and Self-Install Gallery Software. Whilst you can do a fair bit of customisation on them to get them looking unique and acting as you wish most will pretty much work out of the box.

Taking a quick peak at the Photium Site, I have to say that the prices aren't all that bad if you don't want, aren't willing to or aren't able to find a bit of webspace to put up and run your own site independently....and having looked at your site then the "off the peg" looks quite good.

And back On Topic - I've always fancied getting more into photography...or more specifically, trying to learn a bit more about the technical side of setting up a decent shot. I understand the basics of aperture sizes, shutter speeds and the different types of film, it's just combining them to get the desired shot. I've also never got round to investing in decent camera. I often mess about with my (relatively) cheapy digital where it lets you manually control all the settings and occasionally I'll get lucky, but that's about it. My favourite types of photo are city night shots, especially if you can set a small aperture and long exposure (think that's what I should be doing anyway) to get that "moving traffic" effect thingymawhatsit going on.

Wouldn't hold your breath on J!Fusion, it's been in development for as long as I can remember and we've yet to see a release that comes close to doing what it says. We had a version of it which we trialled on one of our test sites when doing a site revamp and it also clashed with a lot of other PHP based modules/components rendering them useless.

That's what I feared. It's been an Alpha release now for a ridiculous amount of time, I mean fair enough the guys got his studying for college/university but the 7-8 months I've been aware of its existance and it's not advanced any since then.

And back On Topic - I've always fancied getting more into photography...or more specifically, trying to learn a bit more about the technical side of setting up a decent shot. I understand the basics of aperture sizes, shutter speeds and the different types of film, it's just combining them to get the desired shot. I've also never got round to investing in decent camera. I often mess about with my (relatively) cheapy digital where it lets you manually control all the settings and occasionally I'll get lucky, but that's about it. My favourite types of photo are city night shots, especially if you can set a small aperture and long exposure (think that's what I should be doing anyway) to get that "moving traffic" effect thingymawhatsit going on.

I started with shots on a crappy fujifilm entry level camera with 2.4 megapixels and a terrible lens but have now got a cracking entry level dSLR and the difference is incredible. Have a look at the Canon EOS 450D with a lens (I'm sure it comes with a 18-55mm IS lens)