FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Cheap Alcohol

Yngwie

Nicola Sturgeon announced that in Scotland you can exceed the man's recommended weekly alcohol intake (21 units I think) for less than ?3.50.

I'm intrigued to know how. Any ideas?

Chat up the landlady to get some free drinks?

Increasing the price will do utterly NOTHING! the government need to realise that drinking is a part of culture in Scotland. It's the same with smoking. There was a study done that said smokers would willingly pay up to ?17 for 20 cigarettes. All increasing the price of drink is going to do is hurt the tragic people on fixed incomes who consider drinking a necessaty and will buy it over food, toiletries etc.

Increasing the price will do utterly NOTHING! the government need to realise that drinking is a part of culture in Scotland. It's the same with smoking. There was a study done that said smokers would willingly pay up to ?17 for 20 cigarettes. All increasing the price of drink is going to do is hurt the tragic people on fixed incomes who consider drinking a necessaty and will buy it over food, toiletries etc.

If you think drinking is a party of Scottish culture, in Latvia it is a national pastime. I think I read that 25 people have died this winter from alcohol related deaths, ie homeless, or just fallen down and didn't get up. Problem is alcohol ie Vodka is so cheap 3,50 GBp per litre and that is the quality stuff.

Me I prefer Hennessy at least I know what is in the bottle!! and I prefer to drink at home or with friends. Do not even tink of drinking and driving here, immediate jail and car impounded.

Nicola Sturgeon announced that in Scotland you can exceed the man's recommended weekly alcohol intake (21 units I think) for less than ?3.50.

there wont be a landlady if these idiots keep going the way they are

Guest birdog

there wont be a landlady if these idiots keep going the way they are

Can you guys not see the bigger picture?

Can you not see what they are doing?

All drug prohibition follows a certain path, we are in the early demonisation stages of alcohol prohibition in this country. We are at the demonisation stage. Remember every drug was legal once and to have a drug banned it has to be seen as evil by the masses. THIS FILM describes the process followed banning one such drug.

For once though I have to agree with them alcohol should be banned, people are filling our prisons for using drugs which do not cause a fraction of the problems alcohol does.

• 11 months later...

For once though I have to agree with them alcohol should be banned, people are filling our prisons for using drugs which do not cause a fraction of the problems alcohol does.

Just looking through some old threads and I found this. Totally agree with you.

• 1 month later...

Maybe nobody told her The Thornbush had closed. Send the woman a price list from the Drumossie. At ?6.20 for a glass of wine, that should soon throw her off the scent!

Frosty Jack - 22.5 units for ?3.50

Nicola knows the score :D

Its as rough as a bears erse though :)

I would rather have a bottle of the Belgian beer 'Bush' - 750ml bottle of Bush Amber Triple for around ?3, very nice, and depending on the vintage around 12-14% ABV. Not that I'm encouraging anyone to drink a whole bottle in one go :)

I would rather have a bottle of the Belgian beer 'Bush' - 750ml bottle of Bush Amber Triple for around ?3, very nice, and depending on the vintage around 12-14% ABV. Not that I'm encouraging anyone to drink a whole bottle in one go :ohmy:

Same ABV and volume as a bottle of wine and hence contains approx 10 units. At that price, it converts to something like 27p a unit which is well below the level at which wee Nicola and her mates start stressing about it being too cheap.