FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

So To The Red Card For Djebi Zadi

tm4tj

Tried to get to the bottom of this little mystery and wish I never bothered now. Had a look on the SPL and SFL sites and I might need a Philadelphia lawyer to sort this one out.

3.2.3 Players Sent Off for

a) Denying the Opposing Team or an Opponent a Goal or an Obvious Goal

Scoring Opportunity as Defined by Law 12

:thumb04: Using Offensive, Insulting or Abusive Language and/or Gestures

c) Receiving a Second Caution in the Same Match

A player who is sent off for any of these offences will be suspended for his club's next match in the Competition in which he was sent off. The penalty points for the offence will not be recorded.

3.4 Serving of Suspensions

Suspensions incurred by players shall be served in the Competition in which they are incurred, except when the qualification detailed in Paragraph 3.2 is applicable, and shall be measured by the relevant team of the club playing the requisite match or matches.

3.2 Sendings-Off

3.2.1 Players Sent Off for Serious Foul Play or Violent Conduct

A player who is sent off for either of these offences will have 12 penalty points added to his relevant disciplinary record. In addition, he will automatically be suspended until such time as his club's team(s) has completed its next match in:

a) For clubs in membership of the Scottish Premier League:

the Competition for which he would otherwise be eligible for selection (Please refer to Appendix 3 - Guidance Notes on Serving of Suspensions). ***I believe this should read appendix 4***

Appendix 4

Guidance Notes on Serving of Suspensions

Whilst the Disciplinary Procedures are based upon the principle of serving a suspension in the competition in which it occurs, a qualification to this exists in relation to automatic one match suspensions incurred as a result of a player being sent off for any of the following offences:

Serious Foul Play

Violent Conduct

Spitting on an Opponent or Any Other Person

The following notes are intended to give guidance on the various situations which may arise and which require to be covered by the wording of the relevant sections of the Disciplinary Procedures, given the range of competitions they embrace. The match schedule of the various teams of a club will be key to the serving of suspensions and it is important to bear this in mind.

Contact should be made with the Disciplinary Department in order to clarify any issue relating to the serving of any suspension resulting from these offences.

For Players of Scottish Premier League Clubs

The following definitions shall apply:-

"recognised first team player" ?

a player who has been named in the team list for any of his club's (or his previously registered club's) 30 first team matches preceding the date of his offence.

In cases where a player is regularly listed in the team list for more than one of his club's teams, his level of participation for each team will be used to determine by which category the player should be recognised (i.e. whichever team he has the most appearances for, will be the one used for categorisation purposes).

- a recognised first team player sent off in a SPL match will be suspended for his club's next match in any of the following competitions, irrespective of the competition: the Scottish Premier League, The Scottish Cup or the Scottish Football League Cup, as applicable.

- a recognised first team player sent off in a Scottish Cup match or a Scottish Football

League Cup match will be suspended for his club's next match in any of the following competitions, irrespective of the competition: The Scottish Premier League, the Scottish Cup or the Scottish Football League Cup.

- a recognised first team player sent off in a SPL Reserve League match will be suspended for his club's next match in any of the following competitions, irrespective of the competition: The Scottish Premier League, the Scottish Cup or the Scottish Football League Cup, as applicable.

- a recognised first team player sent off in a match played under the auspices of a District or County Football Association will be suspended for his club's next match in any of the following competitions, irrespective of the competition: The Scottish Premier League, the Scottish Cup or the Scottish Football League Cup.

I don't know about you guys, but it seems as clear as mud, although the bold statement may be the get out clause for the SFA and he may well be banned for the next SPL game.............maybe :rotflmao:

Guest birdog

Denied goal scoring opportunity by the last man, had to be red.

Agreed and the ref consulted his linesman, so both obviously thought that a red was merited.

Guest Muir-Jaggie

the ref was always going to give the pen but the :rotflmao: i dont thing he could do anything about it. the linesman was watching and where he was it was def a red card. i was sitting right behind him and right away it looked like he was going to get a red

ive seen it. looks like he took his frustration out that he had on finnigan with the tussle beforehand - otherwise, he would have left the ball because Esson would have had it anyway!

Terrible penalty!!

Guest Muir-Jaggie

i what did happen between them?? i new something was up with lionel cause he was all over the place and MM was shouting at him and he never let on

ive seen it. looks like he took his frustration out that he had on finnigan with the tussle beforehand - otherwise, he would have left the ball because Esson would have had it anyway!

Terrible penalty!!

You hit the nail on the head, Finnigan was really winding him up. He needs to keep a level head or he'll become a target.

Have a read through all this bumph and see what you can make of it.

Discipline explained.........aye right.

No, but i think Lionels' suspension will be served in next season's Scottish Cup, thus making him available for Saturday's game.

Just a hunch.

Thats the way i read it too, so hes in contention for the Killy match and misses next seasons first scottish cup game, you never know we may even get that wee 1st division team Falkirk, in our first game.

No, but i think Lionels' suspension will be served in next season's Scottish Cup, thus making him available for Saturday's game.

Just a hunch.

Thats the way i read it too, so hes in contention for the Killy match and misses next seasons first scottish cup game, you never know we may even get that wee 1st division team Falkirk, in our first game.

Feckin hope not, we could do with the revenue from a cup run. :rotflmao:

Not if you take appendix 4 into the equation, he could miss the next game his team plays, whatever competition, but only if SFA are convinced he is first choice player..............or something along those lines, confused.com

By the way, The thread is not about the rights or wrongs of the penalty, but about when does Lionel serve his ban. I have no qualms about the penalty or sending off, foolish as it may have been, but am keen to know when he serves his ban.

Not if you take appendix 4 into the equation, he could miss the next game his team plays, whatever competition, but only if SFA are convinced he is first choice player..............or something along those lines, confused.com

By the way, The thread is not about the rights or wrongs of the penalty, but about when does Lionel serve his ban. I have no qualms about the penalty or sending off, foolish as it may have been, but am keen to know when he serves his ban.

Would the SFA consider him a first choice player?

What are their guidelines?

He's played in six league games one of which was from the bench. To me that suggests it should be the next Scottish Cup game he misses.

Just a hunch.

Iook at appendix 5 specified cup games, 3.2.3 I assume he falls in to category a, so read the chapter below a, b and c.

We are an SPL team, so appendix 4 does not apply to anyone in the spl or sfl, highland league, etc

We are an SPL team, so appendix 4 does not apply to anyone in the spl or sfl, highland league, etc

I think you may have misread the index.

11 Players Misconduct (Appendix 4 - Serving Suspensions)

From Appendix 4

The following definitions shall apply:-

"recognised first team player" ?

a player who has been named in the team list for any of his club's (or his previously registered club's)

a recognised first team player sent off in a Scottish Cup match or a Scottish Football League Cup match will be suspended for his club's next match in any of the following competitions, irrespective of the competition: The Scottish Premier League, the Scottish Cup or the Scottish Football League Cup.

So he misses the Killie game.

Ah, it is becoming clearer, or is it, does appendix 4 only count for serious foul play, violent conduct and spitting, but not for the lesser charge that Lionel got, the one of stopping a clear scoring opportunity???

Ah, it is becoming clearer, or is it, does appendix 4 only count for serious foul play, violent conduct and spitting, but not for the lesser charge that Lionel got, the one of stopping a clear scoring opportunity???

I would class a straight red as serious foul play, otherwise it'd be a yellow.

A second yellow wouldn't be serious foul play but persistant foul play and dealt with differently.

I could be wrong though but there doesn't seem to be a lot of ifs and buts in the rules.

see this section

3.2.3 Players Sent Off for

a) Denying the Opposing Team or an Opponent a Goal or an Obvious Goal

Scoring Opportunity as Defined by Law 12

Using Offensive, Insulting or Abusive Language and/or Gestures

c) Receiving a Second Caution in the Same Match

A player who is sent off for any of these offences will be suspended for his club's next match in the Competition in which he was sent off. The penalty points for the offence will not be recorded.