FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Golf-The Open Championship

Dmacca

I'll be quite happy to watch the saturation coverage on BBC TV...

Won a bit of money on Padraig last year... at 25-1 might just risk another wee flutter...

Paul Casey might be good bet too... having won the British Amateur there a few years ago.

or is golf not your cup of tea.

Colin Montgomerie looks to me as if he's been consuming a whole to more than a cup of tea. Are pies a favoured delicacy among golfers? I always find it a bit bizarre that a "big laddie" like that can earn millions from an activity categorised as sport. What a fine role model for a Ryder Cup captain, eh? :lol:

Colin Montgomerie looks to me as if he's been consuming a whole to more than a cup of tea. Are pies a favoured delicacy among golfers? I always find it a bit bizarre that a "big laddie" like that can earn millions from an activity categorised as sport. What a fine role model for a Ryder Cup captain, eh? :lol:

Well Charles, come on down to Nairn and the membership will introduce you to both a sportsman and a gentleman.

He has been extremely kind to NGC in many ways so, when you arrive, tin hat at the ready!

My money on the Irish sounding boy Be Javiours(!) or whatever his spelling is, although I suppose the Tiger will be there or thereabouts on Sunday.

You can watch all the golf, all year, on many courses BUT this is the BIG one!

Golf throws up a few characters over the years but I think this BOO guy takes some beating. " St Andrews the home of golf" Nope didn't know that! "Lyle a Masters winner" Nope didn't know that. "Played golf from a young age?" Nope, felt work was too difficult, other sports needed too much energy, so took up golf!

Mentioning Lyle above - shame he spat the dummy out and showed his disappointment at not getting the Ryder Cup Captains position, in such an obvious way. One of my heros with a slipped halo at the moment.

Well Charles, come on down to Nairn and the membership will introduce you to both a sportsman and a gentleman.

He has been extremely kind to NGC in many ways so, when you arrive, tin hat at the ready!

My money on the Irish sounding boy Be Javiours(!) or whatever his spelling is, although I suppose the Tiger will be there or thereabouts on Sunday.

You can watch all the golf, all year, on many courses BUT this is the BIG one!

Golf throws up a few characters over the years but I think this BOO guy takes some beating. " St Andrews the home of golf" Nope didn't know that! "Lyle a Masters winner" Nope didn't know that. "Played golf from a young age?" Nope, felt work was too difficult, other sports needed too much energy, so took up golf!

Mentioning Lyle above - shame he spat the dummy out and showed his disappointment at not getting the Ryder Cup Captains position, in such an obvious way. One of my heros with a slipped halo at the moment.

Sorry, you completely lost me after the second line! I was just commenting that, in contrast with the physical condition which is demanded more and more of professional and indeed amateur sports people these days, Colin Montgomerie's "physique" suggests that golf must be an activity where that maybe doesn't matter so much and you can still make a great deal of money out of it without worryng too much about pies and fitness. However I'm quite sure he's a very nice man though and at no point did I suggest otherwise.

It's just that if for instance Ross Tokely, Roy McBain or Russell Duncan turned up for work in that state, expecting to earn a fraction of what Colin Monrgomerie earns they'd probably be fined and told to come back when they were in a sensible physical condition. Similarly there are lots of guys with day jobs who compete at a whole variety of sports in their spare time who wouldn't dream of allowing themselves to get into a condition like that.

It's just that when Mr. Montgomerie comes on the TV you can't help thinking "Bloomin heck, this guy is the captain of the British and Irish team in one of the highest profile sporting events in the world!" :010:

Sorry, you completely lost me after the second line! I was just commenting that, in contrast with the physical condition which is demanded more and more of professional and indeed amateur sports people these days, Colin Montgomerie's "physique" suggests that golf must be an activity where that maybe doesn't matter so much and you can still make a great deal of money out of it without worryng too much about pies and fitness. However I'm quite sure he's a very nice man though and at no point did I suggest otherwise.

It's just that if for instance Ross Tokely, Roy McBain or Russell Duncan turned up for work in that state, expecting to earn a fraction of what Colin Monrgomerie earns they'd probably be fined and told to come back when they were in a sensible physical condition. Similarly there are lots of guys with day jobs who compete at a whole variety of sports in their spare time who wouldn't dream of allowing themselves to get into a condition like that.

It's just that when Mr. Montgomerie comes on the TV you can't help thinking "Bloomin heck, this guy is the captain of the British and Irish team in one of the highest profile sporting events in the world!" :lol:

My reply to you was only in the first two lines - the rest was related to the posts above as to who would be the contenders for the Open title and a throwaway remark re Lyle and Boo Weekly.

On the subject of Colins size, when you see the fitness regime the young bucks now follow, it is not surprising that he is no longer in contention. My young favourite for the event has even been on TV showing his warm up routine and I fear Colin would need a hoist just to try some of the guys moves.

However Colin has been blessed with the finest swing in pro golf bar none, even Tigers, IMO.

My reply to you was only in the first two lines - the rest was related to the posts above as to who would be the contenders for the Open title and a throwaway remark re Lyle and Boo Weekly.

On the subject of Colins size, when you see the fitness regime the young bucks now follow, it is not surprising that he is no longer in contention. My young favourite for the event has even been on TV showing his warm up routine and I fear Colin would need a hoist just to try some of the guys moves.

However Colin has been blessed with the finest swing in pro golf bar none, even Tigers, IMO.

In similar terms, what's the point of having the best high jump technique in the world if you're too damned fat to get yourself over the bar?

Interesting point there too about the fitness of younger players. I was actually thinking about that during the afternoon. I had assumed that must be the case because a number of sports (including football) are wakening up at last to the need to be fit. But on the other hand I don't seem to see scores coming down much over the years as a result. Or are they making courses more difficult? It would certainly seem, though, that

Mongomerie's scores have been going up. Is this because of more difficult courses or deteriorating performance or both? Could it possibly be the case that now that he's older he can't get away with being unfit and overweight to the same extent as he did when he was young?

The other question I would have is about whether Montgomerie has been perhaps somewhat overrated? I don't even know as much about professional golf as you could put on a postage stamp, so I expect some flak here, but is it not the case that he has chosen to be a big fish in a small pond by doing the European Tour rather than take on the big boys? I also believe he has never won a major championship although he did come to life in the Walker? (Ryder/Solhheim?) Cup on a couple of occasions but what good is that because are these not team competitions so no good at all to anybody's individual game? I just wonder what he might have done of he had shed the lard at an early age and looked after himself better? Too late now, I suppose.

I'll be paying a bit more attention to this Open than usual, having been lucky enough to play the course a year or so ago. In particular I'll be smiling every time one of them fails to match the par I got at the 9th (the Lighthouse hole, where they tee off on a rock somewhere out at sea)

Hi Charles, re Monty, he gave his support to the European Tour and therefore, with his world standing, allowed the tour to be financially better sponsored. Faldo and co did well here and buggered off to the USA and left our tour sponsors with a headache - not so Monty.

When he did go to the States he did himself proud, did not win but was a nearly man and therefore his standing in World golf was recognised. Would he have done better slimmer? No doubt about that, we can all recall him, shirt stuck to his skin showing his lack of fitness, in the heat in the States. However he took on their big boys, in their own back yard and as I said almost made it, losing it on a play off.

I have a theory that golfers do not go off the boil as they get older, I think it is their eyesight that loses a wee bit of focus and that is sufficient to lose the 2 strokes per round that separates the winners from the also rans. They then start adjusting their game to try and correct this and go all to pieces - this happened to Lyle, he started wearing big glasses went back to his old way of playing and hey presto, now plays at a much higher level.

Sam Torrance is on record this week, stating that Monty could be in the hunt at the Open if his putting returns as his striking, in Sam's opinion, is as good as ever.

I live in hope, maybe it is an age thing, that he has one big one left in him and fingers crossed, it is this week.

Just watched Tiger throwing his club after a bad shot. He is undoubtedly the best player in the world, but he really is a surly so-and-so, and not entirely the best role model for young players. Interesting to see a 16 year old and a seventeen year old playing at this level. Amazing!

Just watched Tiger throwing his club after a bad shot. He is undoubtedly the best player in the world, but he really is a surly so-and-so, and not entirely the best role model for young players. Interesting to see a 16 year old and a seventeen year old playing at this level. Amazing!

Agree about Woods,undoubtedly the best golfer on the planet ever, but his disgusting spitting habit needs adressing,youngsters see what he does as the way to behave on the course.

My couple of quids on Lee Westwood, watched him at Loch Lomond last week and he's playing great, confidence high, so fingers crossed he disnae mak an erse of it like he did in the US open

Agree about Woods,undoubtedly the best golfer on the planet ever, but his disgusting spitting habit needs adressing,youngsters see what he does as the way to behave on the course.

Totally agree H/Dee...

Spitting is a disgusting habit...

You never see footballers spitting on the field of play!

My couple of quids on Lee Westwood, watched him at Loch Lomond last week and he's playing great, confidence high, so fingers crossed he disnae mak an erse of it like he did in the US open

Good shout Heilandee, Westwood is a good player whos been around awhile now, stand to be corrected but I dont think hes ever won a Major, he would certainly be a popular winner for me if he were to do it at Turnberry.

If only he hadnae made an erse of 16,i kinda worry if he can get over the finish line in a major.Today will be a different kettle with the weather, fancy Rory Mcillroy to tough it out,speshly if the winds pick up,warming up to be another great open :025:

Tom Watson leading most of the day!!who'd have bet on that :lol:

Tiger not looking a very happy chap after losing a ball :021:

I now see that Woods and the Pieman have both missed the cut (well there's 50% of a surprise for you!) while the lead is being held by a 59 year old with a hip replacement.

kind of blows a hole in your fitness theory .

Plenty of players still in contention on the final day. I wonder will Westwood achieve his goal at last or will someone make a break from the peloton, or will Watson be caught behind.