FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The "Flag " incident

BornCaley

Rediculous.. Do people even know what the Tri-Colour means? Green for Catholic, White for Peace, Orange for Protestant = A peacefull country between the two. There are other reasons for it being the way it is, but i can assure you that is one of them. Anyone taking offence is ignorant to the highest order.

Nearly. The Green represents the Irish traditions. The Orange represents the followers of King William and the white peace between the two. The tricolour is not the true flag of Ireland. It was adopted by the republicans after the easter risings of 1921 and became the more popular. The proper flag of Ireland is a green background with a harp in the middle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rediculous.. Do people even know what the Tri-Colour means? Green for Catholic, White for Peace, Orange for Protestant = A peacefull country between the two. There are other reasons for it being the way it is, but i can assure you that is one of them. Anyone taking offence is ignorant to the highest order.

Nearly. The Green represents the Irish traditions. The Orange represents the followers of King William and the white peace between the two. The tricolour is not the true flag of Ireland. It was adopted by the republicans after the easter risings of 1921 and became the more popular. The proper flag of Ireland is a green background with a harp in the middle

Nearly :021: The tricolour is the true flag of Ireland and was confirmed as the national flag in the constitution in the 30's. The flag with the harp on the green background is the flag of Linster and was never the flag for the whole of Ireland.

Nearly :D The tricolour is the true flag of Ireland and was confirmed as the national flag in the constitution in the 30's. The flag with the harp on the green background is the flag of Linster and was never the flag for the whole of Ireland.

I think he means it is not the origional. The Cross of Ireland being the Origional, though there might have been another further back.

And Alex.. it was the 1916 Easter Rising, 1921 was the last year of the Irish Civil War if i remember rightly :021: