Walsall v Torquay

Gringo

Due to Setanta and the SPL moving our home fixture against Aberdeen from Saturday 4th Nov to Monday 6th Nov I was forced to cancel my intended trip to Inverness over the weekend. (I’m still feckin irate over this by the way). To satisfy my graving for a football match I decided to tag along with a work colleague, who is a Torquay United supporter, and head out to the Bescot Stadium for their away match with Walsall.

Pre match refreshments were taken in the Briar Rose boozer, a Wetherspoons outlet – the pub equivalent to Little Chef!, in Birmingham city centre (situated dangerously close to the Wellington – scene of a few WMBICTFCSC meetings) This Wetherspoons is up to the usual shabby standards of these establishments but it’s the first time I’ve actually paid for a round and not received all the drinks. The guy serving was waiting for the beer to settle and then forgot all about it. Muppet.

Introductions were made with the Torquay faithful and talk of football in general was the order of the day. I mentioned to them that I had almost guaranteed Torquay a result today as I’d got a few bob on Walsall to win! This cheered them up as they were all expecting Torquay to take a hammering as, before the match, Walsall were unbeaten at home in the league this season and had, as yet, not conceded a goal home in the league either. I did point out to them that there was hope as Milton Keynes Dons scraped a point last week and ruined Walsall’s 1000% home record; the downward trend had started.

Off to the match then and a short train ride out to Bescot from New Street. There were several Utd fans aboard but there was no singing at this point as most seemed resigned to the their team getting a right ol’ stuffing.

Walking through the car park to get to ground there was a ‘carnival’ atmosphere as several circus acts were doing some charity thing but the groans came out when I said “Hello, what’s this clown doing here?”

I purchased a match day proggy at £2.50, which was similar in size to ours, and was quite a good read. I was a bit disappointed with their opposition’s feature, as it didn’t really give a brief insight to the Torquay players.

It cost £18 to get in which, I’m told, was quite expensive for this division, which, incidentally, is the Coca Cola League Two.

Their away following was not dissimilar to our own with around 4-500 huddled in to the all-seater stand adjacent the 18 yard line. They were fecking noisy though and I found it difficult to get used to shouting for another team. The ‘Give us a T’ song was particularly amusing when it came to the Q and U…sounded really bad – a bit like our E, if you get my drift. The Walsall PA system was just perfect, it was crystal clear with lots of base for the ‘chant enhancing’ music to get the crowd going – it worked a treat in the Utd end I can tell you. This is a club in the ‘4th Division’ of English football and it put our poxy system to shame.

Torquay played really well in the first half and should have gone in at the interval a goal or two to the good. Walsall hardly ever threatened.

At half-time the pies (pronounced locally as Poyis) had to be tried and at £2 a poy they had to be good – the chicken and mushroom was perfect and piping hot. They’d got cowin’ Bovril too but I didn’t try that!

The second half saw a little more of Walsall and they, undeservedly, took the lead on 53 mins with a headed goal from a corner kick. Utd tried hard to reply but seemed to resort to the long-ball game, which wasn’t really fair on the short ersed striker. This guy could do with an ICT scout following him around. His name is Jamie Ward and this wee guy never stopped running and was unlucky on a few occasions and was also on the wrong end of some shite refereeing (I kind of got lost in the moment on one decision and shouted “the referee’s from Dingwall” – I got a few strange looks!) Towards the end the Utd keeper made a fantastic diving save from a half volley to keep his side in it but they just couldn’t find the back of the net. In just wasn’t to be Torquay’s day.

I enjoyed the game and being with the Torquay fans and it was also nice to actually get home on the same day after a game!!

So, on Saturday, I spent my money on Walsall FC instead of ICT. (That’s 18 quid from me and Mrs G, 2.50 for a proggy and 4 quid on pies)

Other people to miss out financially on my ‘lost weekend’ in Inverness were:-

Scotrail (or Flybe depending on which route we took)

My B&B

Clachnaharry Inn

Innes Bar

Blackfriars

Ladbrokes

An Indian restaurant

Ashers Bakery

Numerous other High Street shops.

No mate, I'll be at work on the night shift... :012:

I haven't got Setanta and I have no intentions of getting it. They made my club lose money so they ain't getting mine either.  :015:

I kind of got lost in the moment on one decision and shouted “the referee’s from Dingwall” – I got a few strange looks!

:015: :015: :015: :015: :015: - can picture you sitting there with a bright red face ... classic

It was the blank looks on their faces that got.....whooops!  :003:

What I did fail to state in the brief report was the friendliness and helpfulness of the stewards. They were polite and guided the away support to the correct seating area of the stand and also pointed out where the pie stall was and also the toilet facilities. Not one of them go the remotest bit excited to any of the fans standing up. The gate wasn't disimilar to an ICT match with 5800 in ground. They were a credit to Walsall football club.