FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Mark Brown and penalties

Yngwie

I'm trying to remember when Broonie last saved a penalty. Does anyone know how many he has faced and saved? I know that the keeper has no chance if the penalty is taken really well, but not many of them are struck that well and a keeper should save a proportion.

It's bizarre that one of the best keepers in the country seems to be hopeless at spot kicks. Whatever his approach, is it time to accept it's not working? Or is he just unlucky?

Did we not have this conversation after the Partick Thistle debarcle??  :016:

Can only remember 1 penalty he saved when we were in the 1st division.

Perhaps a bigger talking point is what happened with the Killie second goal - maybe seeing it on TV will shed some light on it but it looked like a real howler from wher I was sitting

Guest ictdave

Cant remember the last time he saved one but i dont think it was his fault for 2nd goal he went one way then had to back the other way the only thing you could say he was a bit slow to react but i dont think it was a howler

More to the point, when was the last time he even got close to saving one? He always seems to go the wrong way :007:

I thought Mark was poor today. He seemed to be all at sea for the first, the second went straight through his legs, I couldn't really see the third, and as soon as they got a penalty......well, game over.

Just watched the highlights on Setanta.... he was vey poor today... ok..so everbody has an off day, but this is one we could have, and should have won.....

Give Fraser a start against the pars..... :022:

You must be kidding if you want to drop Brown after one bad game.....

Broonie's been first class all season.... if he had been up to his usual standard today we would have won this one 3-1.... All he seemed to do today was lift the ball out the back of the net....

We are fortunate to have an excellent reserve keeper.... It wouldn't do his morale any harm to give him a chance next week....

More performances like this will certainly help put more bums on seats.....

Cant blame Brown too much.... the defence was woefull, Hastings was shyte for the first goal, Dods let Naismith past him too easy for the second, where was the cover then...

Cant comment about the sec/third (pen) but Caff seemed slow to tackle about 35 yds out and let them run through, Caff has no aerial strenghth and i cant see him being the answer if Dods fuc*s off in Jan.

Not at all.... he cost us 3 points today...... :020:

Are you drunk?

EDIT: Just noticed that you were posting on here at around half 4. Were you even at the game? If not then I think it is very unfair for you to try and call for Brown to be dropped having not even seen the performance and are simply basing your opinion on highlights.

I would like to see Jimmy Calder give Mark some tips on how to save penalties - JC's record was fantastic.

I think MB should done better for the first goal but he didn't have much chance with the other ones.

Mark did save a very important penaltyagainst Clyde in Jan/Feb 2003.

First goal - no chance, unmarked player on the line. From what I could see for the second goal Brown was wrong-footed when their striker mis-hit his shot, otherwise he would have saved it. Third goal - poor defending, Tokely out of position, Caff not up to speed, keeper no chance. Fourth goal - naive defending by a youngster, striker should always score a penalty, but it'd be nice if just once he'd dive the right way.

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

Good shout about Calder, he must have saved AT LEAST 50% of pens he faced. He always seemed to know exactly where the ball was going from the strikers run up - possibly because he started out as a striker himself for the Jags.  :024:

Maybe there wasn't much Brown could have done at the three goals, and the penalty save wasn't likely either, but honestly some of the saves Smith pulled off today he had no right to make - including the penalty today Brown only had maybe five or six saves to make...4 out of 6 isn't a bad ratio for shots to goals. :024:

Amazing how quickly some of Browns amazing saves in the earlier part of the season that won us valuable points are being forgotten now!

Rig : I haven't forgotten MB's amazing saves in previous games.. his handling & alertness is second to none.... all I'm saying is he didn't have a good game yesterday... it wouldn't or shouldn't do any harm to let young Michael start next week and show us what he's capable of.....Just for one game....

I'm quite sure with his experience MB will continue to be first choice keeper for years to come....