It's A Mad Mad World

Kingsmills

1 hour ago, IBM said:

Drop in the shares again today, my shares have taken a battering since the Britexit vote and again today.  I hope this changes over the next few months or I might have to go back to work :sad:

Looks like you've just made some bad investment choices IBM. Channel Tunnel perhaps? I can also appreciate your desire for a "Brexit BAD" opportunity, but shares, so far, aren't one of these. Since June 23rd, the FTSE has rallied a whopping 11.2%, and that even factors in today's 1.2% fall for technical reasons relating to the sell-off of defensive shares in favour of those which more reflect Trump's apparently well received (sticks in the throat, I know) initial economic statement. The DAX has responded similarly while across the pond, the Dow has hit an all-time high after two very strong post-election days. Not what we expected, nor was the strong post-referendum FTSE rally which, in 4.5 months, has added a post-Brexit annual equivalent of 30% to the index which is the main determinant of our pension funds. This may not be the kind of positive outcome that the S-acronym (see... I've kept them out of it!) wants but this is what has happened. Like it or not, the initial signs are that the stock markets love both Brexit and Trump.

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Looks like you've just made some bad investment choices IBM. Channel Tunnel perhaps? I can also appreciate your desire for a "Brexit BAD" opportunity, but shares, so far, aren't one of these. Since June 23rd, the FTSE has rallied a whopping 11.2%, and that even factors in today's 1.2% fall for technical reasons relating to the sell-off of defensive shares in favour of those which more reflect Trump's apparently well received (sticks in the throat, I know) initial economic statement. The DAX has responded similarly while across the pond, the Dow has hit an all-time high after two very strong post-election days. Not what we expected, nor was the strong post-referendum FTSE rally which, in 4.5 months, has added a post-Brexit annual equivalent of 30% to the index which is the main determinant of our pension funds. This may not be the kind of positive outcome that the S-acronym (see... I've kept them out of it!) wants but this is what has happened. Like it or not, the initial signs are that the stock markets love both Brexit and Trump.

Here was me blaming Brexit for the fall in my ex employers shares it might be that the company is not doing so well since I retired then:wink:

• Agree 1

NOT in large type or capital letters -

Among my computer favourites is one I called "football", containing this site - I'm now going to have to change it to "Anything at all" so that ANY subject can be introduced and endlessly mulled over !

5 hours ago, JockWatt said:

NOT in large type or capital letters -

Among my computer favourites is one I called "football", containing this site - I'm now going to have to change it to "Anything at all" so that ANY subject can be introduced and endlessly mulled over !

The 'serious discussion' forum has been in existence for ohh, lets see, maybe 15 years of the 22 year history of this site. if you dont want to read it, then dont ! just move along (as I do on some of the threads). To suggest football fans can only discuss football and nothing else is parochial to say the least.  You want to read some really insightful comments, take a look at the Courier website or its clone the Highland News website where the biting social commentary is enthralling <sarcasm>. The comments section there make these threads look like Pulitzer prize winners. 

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

You want to read some really insightful comments, take a look at the Courier website or its clone the Highland News website where the biting social commentary is enthralling <sarcasm>. The comments section there make these threads look like Pulitzer prize winners. 

Scotty... you must be getting desperate if you are pointing anyone towards the philosophers known as Silver Surfer, Highlandrover, Cabbie et al!!