FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Barry's dad'....

Heilandee

some of you aulder lads might be interested in this wee snippet fae a series on oor official site, on players who had more than 300 games for the Dee,Bobby was one of my boyhood heroes and is still a real gent who always takes time out for the fans and is a regular at TCS these days.

" In at No 6 on 409, with a debut on March 9th, 1966, comes Bobby Wilson, the right wing back signed for £8,000 from the Blue Brazil, who went on to play a record 17 appearances for the Dee in Europe, a tally which is unlikely ever to be beaten.

This largely unsung hero was a tough, skilful Kirkcaldy lad whose combination of tackling, passing and, on some notable occasions, scoring ability served the club admirably. Particular goals to note were the headed equaliser against Leeds in the Fairs Cup Semi at Dens and the third goal against the Hibees, as Dundee ran rampant in the 1974 Cup Quarter final replay; like many others in the 31,000 crowd, we had been caught up in the huge slow moving queues surrounding Dens that Tuesday evening and we didn't get into the ground until the boys were going 2-0 up. Thousands gave up trying and who knows what the crowd would have been had the club had the foresight to staff all the turnstiles.

Wilson was a Bobby Ancell signing and he was a near ever present, as Dundee recorded 3 fifth and 2 sixth place League finishes in the late 60's and early 70's Decent League and European performances aside, Bobby and the rest of the team came up against the Celtic stonewall, year after year in Cup Semi's, although Wilson had the superb consolation of taking the free kick which Gordon Wallace chested down and steered into Hoops net in the '73 League Cup Final. To my dying day, I will remember Gordon Wallace wheeling away hand in the air, as I jumped up and down in the South Stand, with a variety of change spilling unheeded from my pockets.

Bobby went onto to become a successful coach up North and brought Ross County into the League. He gained one League cap. Thanks for the memories Bobby. "

A real nice Guy. Bobby is a tiler to trade and I spent a couple of weeks working with him last year on a job in Nairn. Good crack even if he was an ex County man(just kidding Bobby incase you read this). Certainly no big money and glamour lifestyles for people like Bobby just honest professionals that enjoy the Game.

Aye, Barry's Paw (and maw) have sat amongst us many times at away games and always happy to pass the time of day. At the Motherwell 1-0 cup tie Bobby nearly had the hand shaken off him after Barry's goal.

I remember the 1973 League Cup Final well. Wasn't it during the 3-day week when the lights were at half power? The Tims lost that final 4 years in a row, even under Jock Stein.