FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hilarious Or Extremely Offensive?

Johnboy

In my humble opinion, based on my understanding of the definition of Racist...then no....its not racist, as he is not expressing an opinion that the people he takes the p1ss out of are inferior to him! I am sick of political correctness, its grossly misused in society these days!

I had the benefit of knowing Bernard for near 40 years, off the stage that is, the problem is that what you see when he was in front of a camera, or any audience, was him doing what he got paid for.

No doubt he offended many, but being a comedian he was "joking" {most of the time}, as we all do !

Like Chubby Brown the more provocative you are on stage, the more money they pay you for it.

Those who knew Bernard as he was when he wasn't infront of a camera, or playing up to someone in a pub etc, knew he was a better man than most. In his time he raised well over a Million quid for hospital {and other} Charities in the NW, that should count for something...

He wasn't one to stand off you either because he was a "celebrity" and you were just a bloke, he went out of his way to make you feel comfortable, and bought his share of ale.

That's more than you can say for that r sole Fred Dibnah {knew him as well}, and how he milked his so called friends for every pint he could get out of them. I don't know anyone who got a pint out of Dibnah in the last 20+ years.

The last time I saw him I told him what a c**t he was, to his face in Westhoughton Labour Club. I was there with Owd Gordon, then an 87 year old veteran of WWII, North Africa and all that. Gordon had worked with Dibnah for 30 years after the war, and given him all sorts of stuff, but that night in the club Dibnah couldn't find his way to buying Owd Gordon a pint, and when Gordon was talking across the table to him he never took him on, holding his hand to his ear, pretending not to hear, {taking the *iss}, yet when I {quietly} asked Gordon what he wanted, Dibnah was the first to shout up "mines a Boddingtons", boy did I give him a f***ing down, in front of all his mates and all, to the extent they all supped their dregs they had left and ****ed off...

Having said that Dibnah on TV was great, but in real life he was one of the most miserable leeching c**ts on the planet...

It's a real pity that folks think that what they see on TV is how that person is in life, especially when the television persona is so very different to who they really are.

I'm just listening to the comments Bernard had at the end of the video, if you listen closely you'll see that little chink in his armour, he was a good man.

The only pity was, {like any Jew, grin} he liked money, and he carried on "working" well past his sell by date. The last time I saw him on stage {about 6 years ago} he was missing his lines, his timing had gone and he was repeating jokes, it ws pityful to see the man in such a state, I never went to watch him after that, although I did still meet up with him at the Embassy on Rochdale Road, Manchester.

Bernard was a "one off" a real Cultrual Icon {on and off the stage} for the working class of the NW, and beyond, but, sad to say he was no doubt, a dinosaur for the latter years of his life.

I guess at the end of the day we all finish up with "enemies" much of the time those with the worst attitudes towards us are those who know us least.

Edited by Canada Bob

Ah...but the sad thing is.....theres probably plenty of people ready to pounce on those of us who admit to enjoying the likes of bernard manning. I find these self opinionated individuals are about the LEAST tolerant, and most autocratic people going!

Great post....

Thanks Bob! :rolleyes:

Aye, well, I'm no worshipper of "celebrity" just because they are "Rich & Famous", it don't impress me. Even though we have no shortage, my guess is there's more r soles in their ranks than in ours...

But having known "The Cultural Icon" for a good while, and knowing what he did quietly, who would believe Manning could do anything quietly {raising money for charities etc} gave me, and a lot of other folks an insight to the real man, I've always had respect and regard for him.

"When I was a Lad" :lol: folks had the wit to know that what they saw on TV was "entertainment" now they serve up "reality TV" which the Gobshytes and Gormless b*stards who wander the planet these days think is reality, FFS.

As a rough guide, if it aint being broadcast from Haydock Park, "it aint REAL" !!!

Somehow along the way celebrities are now worshipped {by half wits}as thogh gods, the end result is, we have simply devalued ourselves in our own eyes.

Folks who seek Fame and Fortune will never be satisfied, they'll never be famous enough, nor will they ever feel that they have enough money, or enough cocaine up their nose.

The only "real" important things in life are, a good mate, a good dog, and a good fishing spot.

If you have nothing more than these three affordable things, chances are you are in way better shape than the celebrities that the half wits worship.

Edited by Canada Bob