Rangers & Celtic Offski or notski

BornCaley

Quote from Hibs manager John Hughes....."We're a big club as well, Hibernian. We would fancy our chances of winning the SPL, but we would fancy our chances of competing with the big boys in England too."

:019: :D :D

Quote from Hibs manager John Hughes....."We're a big club as well, Hibernian. We would fancy our chances of winning the SPL, but we would fancy our chances of competing with the big boys in England too."

:019: :D :D

:lol::lol::lol: Someone also said that that if the Old Firm deserve to be in the EPL so do aberdeen :lol::lol:

Ah yes, the Atlantic League. You can just see the fans flock to Belgium to watch Standard Leige play Celtic for a 5th place spot after the first couple of years of novelty value. And who wouldn't want to watch Porto v Rangers if they aren't in with a reasonable chance of winning the league. A stale idea. At least Edinburgh's only a train fare away.

If the Old Firm left the SPL, we'd possibly have the most competitive league in europe. If you remove Celtic and Rangers from the league table, in just the past 10 seasons we'd have had 6 different clubs finishing top. Hibs, Hearts, St Johnstone, Livingstone, Aberdeen and Motherwell. Each season would be completely unpredictable and almost every team in the league would fancy their chances if they had a half decent run. Even clubs like Inverness could put together a title challenge once every few years. Surely that'd be far more exciting than the current set up?

As for those laughing at John Hughes, I think you over-estimate the Premiership. Just look at some of the teams in that league... Stoke, Hull, Pompey, Burnley, Wigan etc. OF COURSE Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen could compete at that level, especially if they had access to the same revenue streams (Sky TV money for example) that these clubs have. They'd be able to sign better players and coaches, play better football, and attract much larger crowds. Within a few years they'd easily hold their own.

If the Old Firm left the SPL, we'd possibly have the most competitive league in europe. If you remove Celtic and Rangers from the league table, in just the past 10 seasons we'd have had 6 different clubs finishing top. Hibs, Hearts, St Johnstone, Livingstone, Aberdeen and Motherwell. Each season would be completely unpredictable and almost every team in the league would fancy their chances if they had a half decent run. Even clubs like Inverness could put together a title challenge once every few years. Surely that'd be far more exciting than the current set up?

As for those laughing at John Hughes, I think you over-estimate the Premiership. Just look at some of the teams in that league... Stoke, Hull, Pompey, Burnley, Wigan etc. OF COURSE Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen could compete at that level, especially if they had access to the same revenue streams (Sky TV money for example) that these clubs have. They'd be able to sign better players and coaches, play better football, and attract much larger crowds. Within a few years they'd easily hold their own.

No doubt any team could. How peeved off would Plymouth Argyle fans be to play Inverness CT away in an *F.A Cup 4th round match? Think the "Greeeeeen Arrrmmy" would get tiresome after a while?

*providing we make the 4th round ofcourse :021:

Personally, i think with their current teams, Rangers would Struggle to stay in the EPL. If they somehow managed to stay in it for a few seasons they could build title challanging teams but its staying in the first few seasons thats important. Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, Motherwell, Aberdeen. They would all be destroyed if they went down there.

If the OF go down to England, it will show the poor quality of Scottish football. We will be embarassed.

You're assuming with current squads. Both the OF teams would attract massive sponsorship - Celtic being arguably the best supported team in the world, and Rangers already being amongst the richest, despite playing in the SPL and generally being less than average in Europe.

Aberdeen might have the chance to cash in on it's connections with the oil companies looking at a high profile means of advertising. Hearts and/or Hibs could really profit as well due to their location - which is considerably more appealing than Burnley, Stoke, Hull, etc etc. In fact, it wouldn't be a big surprise to see a Russian magnate (not a mad one) see an Edinburgh team as an opportunity for a real coup.

There's no guarantees in football but I fancy these teams could be major players eventually.

And I wouldn't see Inverness v Plymouth as a problem with the airport. Plymouth v Carlisle is much more a problem.

You're assuming with current squads. Both the OF teams would attract massive sponsorship - Celtic being arguably the best supported team in the world, and Rangers already being amongst the richest, despite playing in the SPL and generally being less than average in Europe.

Aberdeen might have the chance to cash in on it's connections with the oil companies looking at a high profile means of advertising. Hearts and/or Hibs could really profit as well due to their location - which is considerably more appealing than Burnley, Stoke, Hull, etc etc. In fact, it wouldn't be a big surprise to see a Russian magnate (not a mad one) see an Edinburgh team as an opportunity for a real coup.

There's no guarantees in football but I fancy these teams could be major players eventually.

And I wouldn't see Inverness v Plymouth as a problem with the airport. Plymouth v Carlisle is much more a problem.

I know what your saying and i agree. But it would take atleast a season or two for these clubs to get enough money to attract big players to play for them and i fear that could be too long in the EPL. I think the clubs would be relegated by then and the OF would finish in the bottom half. It would take a while to adjust to Style of play and to get the money in.

I get bored of rangers or Celtic winning the league every year it just gets boring B)

It would be good seeing another team getting a chance it would waken up Scottish footy.

However the old firm does bring a lot of money to Scottish footy.

It would be the death of Scottish football at domestic level if the old firm left. Yes the league would be more competitive but it would be more of a mickey mouse league then it is already. Im pretty sure the Welsh and Irish leagues are really competitive but they are nothing leagues and that is what the Scottish league would end up like without the old firm.