FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish Cup Final (merged)

ICTPaisley

Here is my stance now....

Since Saturday the stream of tink friends calling in to "visit" me or "phoning for a chat" has slowed to a trickle. My heightened emotions have gone the same way.

I do feel that I could never bring myself to supporting them towards any success unless ICT would benifit directly, which is why I was met with mixed emotions when they beat Dundee earlier in the season. I still cannot understand other ICT supporters supporting them either but I realise that everyone has differing opinions on all subjects otherwise we would be a very boring species indeed. It is not my place to tell anyone how to support ICT so carry on. I will still give you all stick for it, only in the friendly banter kind of way that I am going to have to, eventually, return to with all these big headed minks that are floating about.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really love County to win it, not for the Highlands second best football team but for their fans who are our friends, neighbours and colleagues in the communities we live in. I took a 9 year old County fan to the last derby match and gave him pelters all through the game (poor little sod), he phones me on saturday and screams down the phone at me LOSER (this is after full-time at Palmerston), bless his cotton socks. :004: B) B)

Good luck to them.

I see that our players sent The County players a good luck card before the game and that Russell Duncan gave the County players a bottle of champagne on Saturday night.

Nice touches. It shows the rivalry between the 2 is a very different, type than those in Edinburgh or Glasgow

Put your flamethrowers down here before you shoot me down in flames, but are any of you planning going to the cup final? Apologies for posting this on the ICT thread but I thought more folk would see it on here as opposed to the general nonsense thread. I've spoken to few of my friends - mostly Aberdeen fans from the highlands who are planning it. I also spoke to a friend today who is a pars fan who is also planning it (all in the county end). I'm half tempted to go as both sides play decent football but on the other hand I grudge giving them cash.

Put your flamethrowers down here before you shoot me down in flames, but are any of you planning going to the cup final? Apologies for posting this on the ICT thread but I thought more folk would see it on here as opposed to the general nonsense thread. I've spoken to few of my friends - mostly Aberdeen fans from the highlands who are planning it. I also spoke to a friend today who is a pars fan who is also planning it (all in the county end). I'm half tempted to go as both sides play decent football but on the other hand I grudge giving them cash.

Caley Thistle Fans Forum > FOOTBALL > Non-ICT

Not going but wish County all the best of luck. :004:

I've watched this debate rage with some interest and apart from the start where it was heading into nasty territory, the opposing viewpoints have managed to get back to a more mature status with each conceding the right of the other to hold their views.

Personally, I have no vested interest in who wins the final although I am leaning away from C*unty for a number of reasons. It holds slightly more appeal simply because our rivals are in it - had it been any of the other teams I wouldn't give a mokeys chuff who won - and I would hope that they don't win. Why? One cogent argument has already been put forward regarding the attraction of fans and subsequent sponsorship. Let's not kid ourselves here - the Highlands does not have the population or geographic to support two SPL teams, only one. Us. Any advance that RC makes chips away at us. We should be on our guard against this.

But ultimately I suppose it comes down to this - if it were ICT in the final how many of their fans would have the good grace to go and "support" us?

Cannot take anything away from their achievement or the way they went about it, and good on them for the advert they have made for highland football, but all they have really achieved is that they are in the final. Meanwhile, we are on the cusp of the return to the SPL and have been in the semi's twice on merit. Difference being, when we do get to the final the chances are we can win, and in the run of form that DUFC have just now and especially Goodwillie knocking them in left right and centre, RC are heading for a drubbing.

RC getting into the final will be the same thing as Gretna - a flash in the pan. And where are Gretna now?

C*unty are a threat to us as well as rivals and yes, let's keep the banter relatively good-natured but don't lose sight of the fact that they ARE our rivals and should always be regarded as such.

There was a thread on this in here before and it got moved to the correct forum due to me losing the plot over it, bad I know, but could you not show some sense? This is the ICT forum and the cup final has absolutely nothing to do with ICT.

I wish Darren Dods and United all the luck and I will be there in support of one of the best centre backs ICT ever had but NON-ICT for this pish.

One cogent argument has already been put forward regarding the attraction of fans and subsequent sponsorship. Let's not kid ourselves here - the Highlands does not have the population or geographic to support two SPL teams, only one. Us. Any advance that RC makes chips away at us. We should be on our guard against this.

I believe that argument is a load of old tosh, any attraction of new fans will be detracting from the old firm and not in the Highlands. There are more fans of other teams who travel from the Highlands to watch their football so any of them being attracted to support a local team is highly desirable.

RC getting into the final will be the same thing as Gretna - a flash in the pan. And where are Gretna now?

Yeah, I'm jealous too. I'd love a Hampden final, but I've had a couple of semis and I'm sure we'll get further in time.

C*unty are a threat to us as well as rivals and yes, let's keep the banter relatively good-natured but don't lose sight of the fact that they ARE our rivals and should always be regarded as such.

Wanting County do do well does not make me anti-Caley but I want my friends, colleagues and neighbours to have a wonderful feeling of escapism from their mundane lives. Does that make me less of an ICT fan? I don't think so.

One cogent argument has already been put forward regarding the attraction of fans and subsequent sponsorship. Let's not kid ourselves here - the Highlands does not have the population or geographic to support two SPL teams, only one. Us. Any advance that RC makes chips away at us. We should be on our guard against this.

I believe that argument is a load of old tosh, any attraction of new fans will be detracting from the old firm and not in the Highlands. There are more fans of other teams who travel from the Highlands to watch their football so any of them being attracted to support a local team is highly desirable.

Yeah, I'm jealous too. I'd love a Hampden final, but I've had a couple of semis

and I'm sure we'll get further in time.

Wanting County do do well does not make me anti-Caley but I want my friends, colleagues and neighbours to have a wonderful feeling of escapism from their mundane lives. Does that make me less of an ICT fan? I don't think so.

Be patient my friend. All this stress can't be helping. In time, I'm sure you will manage to go all the way :D !!

As I see it, RC are our rivals but highland neighbours and any one around here not wanting them to win the cup are just being miserable. I wouldn't be planning on going though.

And as for the league, well that's a differnt story......

I see that County are planning on offering every primary school child in Ross-shire free ticket and travel to the game, thats pretty good of them. I couldn't see us doing anything like that since we charge children almost 4 times the price to get into games than some other teams in our league. :rolleyes:

I see that County are planning on offering every primary school child in Ross-shire free ticket and travel to the game, thats pretty good of them. I couldn't see us doing anything like that since we charge children almost 4 times the price to get into games than some other teams in our league. :rolleyes:

My primary aged kids got their season tickets for ?25 each, under ?1.40 per match, not too unreasonable.

My primary aged kids got their season tickets for ?25 each, under ?1.40 per match, not too unreasonable.

And they have all been / will be in the SFL alot longer than we will be! :lol:

I see that County are planning on offering every primary school child in Ross-shire free ticket and travel to the game, thats pretty good of them. I couldn't see us doing anything like that since we charge children almost 4 times the price to get into games than some other teams in our league. :)

Spot on RBD. People are always quick to talk about the "one off" price.

In the ESSSSSSPL days the "one off" game that was always wanted was the OF! Club ST prices for kids are great value.

I was talking more about the walk up prices which include prices for away fans. Most children's season tickets are cheap in our league, or actually free with some teams!

We charge ?13/?11 for a child where for other teams they get in for ?3 or even free. I don't think that does much to encourage new fans or fans who don't go to every game to come along now and then.

By giving all these free tickets out County will probably secure some new supporters who will want to go to games next season and County might become their main team instead of one of the OF.

I'd be up for going to this one. As original post stated :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yngwie has hit the nail squarely on the head. County's success today is undoubtedly bad news for ICT. The Highlands cannot support two clubs operating in the upper echelons of the Scottish game - it's a simple fact of social geography and economics. In very simple terms a business looking to spend some money entertaining clients at a game in the coming weeks is more likely to opt for the glamour of a trip to Hampden over the Dundee game on May 1st.

One team in Highlands!

A business looking to spend some money entertaining clients at a game in the Highlands over an entire season will go to...

...see Ross County's losers' medals' room?

I find this economic argument spurious to say the least. :crazy07:

(BTW YMIP I'm still in the market for a coca cola T)