FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish Cup Final (merged)

ICTPaisley

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certain people on this thread don't understand that being and ICT fan it about following them around and encouraging them, it has nothing to do with hating another team.

I wanted County to win yesterday, but not the final the reason being I don't want them to have the claim to fame of being the first highland team to win the scottish cup. I want that to be us. In saying that, I do enjoy seeing their results coming in on the back of a loss.

Edit: Smee are you sticking your head up birdog's arse so he'll go to games with you? :blink:

Edited by Iain

The way I see it is that it's all about choices. Some choose to wish RC well in the cup final, some don't. Some choose to watch the final with no preference to who wins just to watch football (This is me). We will all have a different outlook regards the match but that does not make us bad ICT supporters. Because you choose to "support" whoever faces RC doesn't make you a better ICT than someone who wishes to "support" RC in this one off match and visa versa. Birdog, you yourself mention that it is since 1994 that you have this hatred for them with a lesser degree before, so all the pre merger talk is irrelevent really. I moved here in 1994 so was not part of the pre merger rivalry but since I have been here I have adopted a friendly rivalry with RC but nothing like the hatred shown on here.

Smee,

"But we can hold our heads up...as we were the ones supporting our local teams when most of the Inverness supporting folk chose not to!"

It must have been lonely with just the 2 of you stood there.

"Im guessing unless you (meaning people in general) grew up in the 70s and 80s actually supporting a local team, you may well struggle with this concept."

That's a bit "holier than thou" mate

"I watch many matches not involving my teams in the hope of an entertaining match"

You support more than one team? How could you?

I had credited you with a bit more intelligence Oz. How silly of me! Seems to me, your just another of the ones who like to stir it up! If you havent got the cerebal capacity to take on board whats been said...without viewing it as an attack, thats your look out!

Smee, get of your high horse mate. My post was a bit of tongue in cheek humour. I had credited you with having a sense of humour. How silly of me.

As for having the cerebral capacity you speak of, I at least, unlike your good self have the ability to spell the word.

Presumably the County lovers here will be transferring their support from Scotland to England this summer? If you are not supporting England, why not?

It's the same logic. Your main team has no chance of glory, so you switch your allegiance to your neighbours, who share a closer cultural and geographical identity than the other participants.

I don't want County to win but I would rather they won the Scottish Cup than England won the World Cup any day!!

County winning the Scottish Cup, England winning the World Cup and we throw away the league and Dundee win it....nightmares aren't that bad!!

Presumably the County lovers here will be transferring their support from Scotland to England this summer? If you are not supporting England, why not?

It's the same logic. Your main team has no chance of glory, so you switch your allegiance to your neighbours, who share a closer cultural and geographical identity than the other participants.

I like the analogy, but its too simplistic. Let me explain my leanings and, right or wrong, you'll know my feelings on it"

Underdogs

I always like a David v Goliath battle, as do many. It's the Susan Boyle, Buster Douglas, etc effect.

Central Belt

A lot of the power, money, control, focus, spendng, resources, riches are given to central belt teams, for many a reason,some fair, some not. It is good that things don't always go that way, and I enjoy a variety of riches.

Highlands

I could wax on about this but suffice to say that i love the area, and that includes not begrudging a highlands team victory where it doesn't directly affect ICT (i do however very much like Joe Di Maggio's post and was quite enlightening)

Now, that may be taken as whatever by whomever, but that's why i didn't begrudge county their victory.

I wanted County to win yesterday, but not the final the reason being I don't want them to have the claim to fame of being the first highland team to win the scottish cup. I want that to be us. In saying that, I do enjoy seeing their results coming in on the back of a loss.

Why did you want C*unty to win yesterday? Just curious.

The way I see it is that it's all about choices. Some choose to wish RC well in the cup final, some don't. Some choose to watch the final with no preference to who wins just to watch football (This is me). We will all have a different outlook regards the match but that does not make us bad ICT supporters. Because you choose to "support" whoever faces RC doesn't make you a better ICT than someone who wishes to "support" RC in this one off match and visa versa. Birdog, you yourself mention that it is since 1994 that you have this hatred for them with a lesser degree before, so all the pre merger talk is irrelevent really. I moved here in 1994 so was not part of the pre merger rivalry but since I have been here I have adopted a friendly rivalry with RC but nothing like the hatred shown on here.

Smee,

"But we can hold our heads up...as we were the ones supporting our local teams when most of the Inverness supporting folk chose not to!"

It must have been lonely with just the 2 of you stood there.

"Im guessing unless you (meaning people in general) grew up in the 70s and 80s actually supporting a local team, you may well struggle with this concept."

That's a bit "holier than thou" mate

"I watch many matches not involving my teams in the hope of an entertaining match"

You support more than one team? How could you?

I had credited you with a bit more intelligence Oz. How silly of me! Seems to me, your just another of the ones who like to stir it up! If you havent got the cerebal capacity to take on board whats been said...without viewing it as an attack, thats your look out!

Smee, get of your high horse mate. My post was a bit of tongue in cheek humour. I had credited you with having a sense of humour. How silly of me.

As for having the cerebral capacity you speak of, I at least, unlike your good self have the ability to spell the word.

Well..being Dyslexic Oz....i excuse myself the odd spelling error! Personally....i think i do rather well considering!

Aslo, might i suggest the use of smileys if comments are made tongue in cheek...otherwise it can be misconstrued!

t"

Underdogs

I always like a David v Goliath battle, as do many. It's the Susan Boyle, Buster Douglas, etc effect.

Central Belt

A lot of the power, money, control, focus, spendng, resources, riches are given to central belt teams, for many a reason,some fair, some not. It is good that things don't always go that way, and I enjoy a variety of riches.

Underdogs

Will you be supporting Raith in the final? Should they get there they will no doubt be seen as underdogs.

Central Belt

Discriminating against a group because of their geographical origin is most certainly prejudiced.

A number of reasons. One being it pisses me off all ove rthe highlands, you get so called supporters of one of the OF who have never been to a game (theres a lot of them here anyway) arguing about who is better, who will/won't win the league, and if Robbie Keane is indeed god. It annoys me, these same people will use the fact they have won x amount of league titles to advantage or the fact ICT are in a lower league when in a football related discussion which anyone could do had they chosen to be glory hunters. So in a way it's a big **** you to the glory hunters all over Scotland.

A number of reasons. One being it pisses me off all ove rthe highlands, you get so called supporters of one of the OF who have never been to a game (theres a lot of them here anyway) arguing about who is better, who will/won't win the league, and if Robbie Keane is indeed god. It annoys me, these same people will use the fact they have won x amount of league titles to advantage or the fact ICT are in a lower league when in a football related discussion which anyone could do had they chosen to be glory hunters. So in a way it's a big **** you to the glory hunters all over Scotland.

Iain...do you honestly think County fans wont be rubbing their appearance in the final in OUR faces...let alone, god forbid, should they win it?

Certain people on this thread don't understand that being and ICT fan it about following them around and encouraging them, it has nothing to do with hating another team.

Edit: Smee are you sticking your head up birdog's arse so he'll go to games with you? :P

Does that include hating or being pissed off at the Old Firm?

Iain...do you honestly think County fans wont be rubbing their appearance in the final in OUR faces...let alone, god forbid, should they win it?

I know they will, I've had it all season so far.....up until recently anyway when the tables turned in our favour. They've tried to use the scottish cup run to their advantage, but they know that I know they'd rather be in our position and I take great comfort in that.

Edit: Smee are you sticking your head up birdog's arse so he'll go to games with you? :P

Does that include hating or being pissed off at the Old Firm?

Yes it does include the OF. Where have I said I hate or dislike them? I don't hate the old firm at all, but I do get angered at the people from Inverness or other places from the Highlands who choose to support the OF when they're local team is Inverness.

This really makes me laugh. I dare to disagree with the views of 2 posters (who I might add, I thought were 2 of the more sensible on here), I therefore must suffer from low cerebral capacity. The fact I have a Mensa confirmed IQ of 155 shoots that theory down but never mind. If I then go on to point out the irony of his mistake, out comes the Dyslexia defence. Now you may suffer from Dyslexia and if so I'm sorry for you but if this is the case then surely the old saying about stones and glass houses comes into play. As for the need for smilies to help you understand my post. Maybe if you need pictures, it is you who has the low cerebral capacity.

Now I didn't want to get into a slanging match but it was you who got personal. I would prefer to have meaningful discussions without the name calling. Banter is obviously not allowed on here anymore. If this is the case I apologise for anything that has been taken to heart because I didn't use smilies. :P

Yes it does include the OF. Where have I said I hate or dislike them? I don't hate the old firm at all, but I do get angered at the people from Inverness or other places from the Highlands who choose to support the OF when they're local team is Inverness.

You like the OF less than you like C*unty but you would like another team to win the final over C*unty, that is a lot of liking without disliking at all but you still manage to get "pissed off"?

Edited by Revbirdog

This really makes me laugh. I dare to disagree with the views of 2 posters (who I might add, I thought were 2 of the more sensible on here), I therefore must suffer from low cerebral capacity. The fact I have a Mensa confirmed IQ of 155 shoots that theory down but never mind. If I then go on to point out the irony of his mistake, out comes the Dyslexia defence. Now you may suffer from Dyslexia and if so I'm sorry for you but if this is the case then surely the old saying about stones and glass houses comes into play. As for the need for smilies to help you understand my post. Maybe if you need pictures, it is you who has the low cerebral capacity.

Now I didn't want to get into a slanging match but it was you who got personal. I would prefer to have meaningful discussions without the name calling. Banter is obviously not allowed on here anymore. If this is the case I apologise for anything that has been taken to heart because I didn't use smilies. :P

Oz, if your post was aimed as banter towards me then I apologise for the mix up but you seem to have become as mixed up as me in the fact that you seem to think that I hate individual people when it is the establishment that they belong to which is the target of my hate. The mood of the thread so far does not seem to be banter, to sum up a lot of people are attack my, and others, views whilst using not too dissimilar reasons to my own to justify their views. I got defensive and your banter was misinterpreted.

Basically it is thus. I don't mind RC doing well in the cup, for ICT will be promoted. Joe Di Maggio has some good points though and it is food for thought.

Do i choose the Highlands over the central belt? Yes. If that makes me prejudiced so be it. Revbirdog, you prefer the central belt or are completely neutral? You want to prove a point by making me out to be prejudiced because i believe there's too much concentration of assets in the central belt, and that there is a disparity. The very fact that SNH is based in the city shows that i'm not the only one. I can't see where your argument on this lies. Yes, i am prejudiced for the highlands. I have a preference for the highlands. I like the highlands more than the central belt. It is what i feel. There are many who prefer the central belt to the highlands. There are many who like them equally.

Let's not get lost in the fact that you despise RC as you have stated over and over, and seem to be fixated on them in an unhealthy way. I cannot foathom out why you have such a venomous hatred towards them, as opposed to the banter that I and most others do. If your response is something to do with my intellectual level, then fine. I'm not above nor below anyone.

You like the OF less than you like C*unty but you would like another team to win the final over C*unty, that is a lot of liking without disliking at all but you still manage to get "pissed off"?

I don't like the OF less than County at all. I don't particulary have much of an opininion on eitheir, although as I said I do enjoy seeing County lose. But I do not use this as a catalyst to highlight me being an ICT fan like Smee has done. Disliking County has nothing to do with being an ICT fan. However I did want County to win yesterday to see the look on my glory hunting friends faces - theres a good few of them.

Anyway, now your diverting the discussion away from the original point I made.

Edited by Iain

Basically it is thus. I don't mind RC doing well in the cup, for ICT will be promoted. Joe Di Maggio has some good points though and it is food for thought.

Do i choose the Highlands over the central belt? Yes. If that makes me prejudiced so be it. Revbirdog, you prefer the central belt or are completely neutral? You want to prove a point by making me out to be prejudiced because i believe there's too much concentration of assets in the central belt, and that there is a disparity. The very fact that SNH is based in the city shows that i'm not the only one. I can't see where your argument on this lies. Yes, i am prejudiced for the highlands. I have a preference for the highlands. I like the highlands more than the central belt. It is what i feel. There are many who prefer the central belt to the highlands. There are many who like them equally.

Let's not get lost in the fact that you despise RC as you have stated over and over, and seem to be fixated on them in an unhealthy way. I cannot foathom out why you have such a venomous hatred towards them, as opposed to the banter that I and most others do. If your response is something to do with my intellectual level, then fine. I'm not above nor below anyone.

This is my point exactly Kirishima, I choose to feel a certain way, I am prejudiced as is every human being on this planet. If we were not to pre judge then the human race would not have been so successful, we would not have been able to judge threats or advantages. I am so venomous towards them because their fanbase would just as soon see ICT go the same way as Gretna, Third Lanark and Ferranti. It annoys me that when they have this attitude our fans would consider going along and offering support to them in their quest to win a trophy, do it for the Highlands but in reality they would love it if their success meant them becoming the only senior club in the Highlands. They already stole a number of the pre-merger fans and I believe they may well steal some of our fans, it pains me to think that our present fans will go ahead and cheer them on towards this.

This is my point exactly Kirishima, I choose to feel a certain way, I am prejudiced as is every human being on this planet. If we were not to pre judge then the human race would not have been so successful, we would not have been able to judge threats or advantages. I am so venomous towards them because their fanbase would just as soon see ICT go the same way as Gretna, Third Lanark and Ferranti. It annoys me that when they have this attitude our fans would consider going along and offering support to them in their quest to win a trophy, do it for the Highlands but in reality they would love it if their success meant them becoming the only senior club in the Highlands. They already stole a number of the pre-merger fans and I believe they may well steal some of our fans, it pains me to think that our present fans will go ahead and cheer them on towards this.

I very much doubt we will lose fans to Ross County because of this cup final. The only fans that may sway over to the other side will be people that haven't been to any ICT games and experienced the ICT atmosphere. Once you experience that there is no turning back. If it's people that turn to Ross County then its those who haven't given anything back to ICT in turns of gate receipts and merchandise.

Just another scenario i have thought of here although i do think this thread has run its course now...

What if County were playing Dundee at Victoria Park on a day where ICT were not playing and if County were to win then ICT would win the league and if Dundee won then they would win the league. Would you go to support County in the hope that they would stop Dundee winning the league?

Would you then go and support County for that game?

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

I very much doubt we will lose fans to Ross County because of this cup final. The only fans that may sway over to the other side will be people that haven't been to any ICT games and experienced the ICT atmosphere. Once you experience that there is no turning back. If it's people that turn to Ross County then its those who haven't given anything back to ICT in turns of gate receipts and merchandise.

Wrong, it has been said in this thread already that youngsters are converting to RC over us already, one of my friends from Ayrshire originally now living here has kids and like most true football supporters he is encouraging his kids to not follow the easy OF route and to choose a local team, they used to be Caley!!!! until yesterday.

Just another scenario i have thought of here although i do think this thread has run its course now...

What if County were playing Dundee at Victoria Park on a day where ICT were not playing and if County were to win then ICT would win the league and if Dundee won then they would win the league. Would you go to support County in the hope that they would stop Dundee winning the league?

Would you then go and support County for that game?

No but I would will them on for the reason that it would benefit us.