FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish Cup Final (merged)

ICTPaisley

Johnboy it has b*gger all to do with bigotry, bigotry is an intolerance of another person's religion or race. This is about rivalry not intolerance. C*unty fans hate our club and wish they would die (in the business trading sense of the word), I am only returning the favour. Believe me, I live in Staggy country and have done for the past 15 years, I know how their fans think and what they think about us.

When does it stop being about football and being about something else?

B) What does that even mean?

Well, it has been suggested to me, that some people enjoy the actual aggression and swearing and abuse giving than the actual football. Now, heaven forbid I would actually say that about anyone here, as that would be completely wrong, of course, but when people see a tirade of abuse and "die" comments, you can see how that person may misconstrue the situation..

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birdy....I think we just have to accept that some of us have differnt ideas of what following a team involves mate! You and I and some others are clearly old school......others are more liberal in their attitudes!

I'd be interested in hearing how you define old school supporter.

I certainly regard myself as old school but am pleased to hold a very different attitude to these two.

Johnboy it has b*gger all to do with bigotry, bigotry is an intolerance of another person's religion or race. This is about rivalry not intolerance. C*unty fans hate our club and wish they would die (in the business trading sense of the word), I am only returning the favour. Believe me, I live in Staggy country and have done for the past 15 years, I know how their fans think and what they think about us.

I think he/she is questioning our integrity and morals, insinuating we could be on the cusp of becoming bigots! But it is they who are in danger of becoming so, with their intolerance of others rights to hold their own opinions!

Birdy....I think we just have to accept that some of us have differnt ideas of what following a team involves mate! You and I and some others are clearly old school......others are more liberal in their attitudes!

Start with not supporting you local rivals at a glamorous final!!

Edited by SMEE

B) You'd put Demosthenes to shame Smee, or Donald Findlay, im no quite sure....

Anyway, RC will noubt have a huge hangover today, it is possible they will get into europe, now, if they drew, say, atletico madrid to dingwall, wouldn't that be something...

edited to add 2nd para

Edited by Kirishima

Well, it has been suggested to me, that some people enjoy the actual aggression and swearing and abuse giving than the actual football. Now, heaven forbid I would actually say that about anyone here, as that would be completely wrong, of course, but when people see a tirade of abuse and "die" comments, you can see how that person may misconstrue the situation..

That is why I put "in the business sense of the word" in brackets, or are you using selective quotes to make yourself look very PC and whiter than white. You have yet to tel me which Glasweegian team are to play C*unty in the cup final, and as a Scot why is it better to have a "Highland" team who I have viewed as rivals since the inception of the team I support than any other Scottish team who, at best, I feel indifferent about win the cup?

Edited by Revbirdog

I seem to recall a number of ICT fans went and supported Gretna against Hearts a few seasons ago. Would they also be "non old school" ?

That is why I put "in the business sense of the word" in brackets, or are you using selective quotes to make yourself look very PC and whiter than white. You have yet to tel me which Glasweegian team are to play C*unty in the cup final, and as a Scot why is it better to have a "Highland" team who I have viewed as rivals since the inception of the team I support than any other Scottish team who, at best, I feel indifferent about win the cup?

Sorry to keep you waiting, hope i didn't ruin your morning hanging on for that. Was referring to the semi-final, as was the topic back then. Is it ok to answer your other question tomorrow...send me a pm if you get impatient :lol:

I wouldn't be fuused at a RC v Raith game, guess i love an underdog is all.

Anyway, can european footie happen at Victoria Park

I seem to recall a number of ICT fans went and supported Gretna against Hearts a few seasons ago. Would they also be "non old school" ?

Goegraphy was never my strong point...But i am pretty sure Gretna isnt and never has been a "local rival". I myself shall be cheering on WHOEVER plays C*unty in the final. Another part of being an old school fan! Im guessing unless you (meaning people in general) grew up in the 70s and 80s actually supporting a local team, you may well struggle with this concept.

Is it not possible to watch a match as a nuetral? Just to enjoy a good match? To enjoy the spectacle that is a cup final? :blink:

:blink: What does that even mean?

Sorry to keep you waiting, hope i didn't ruin your morning hanging on for that. Was referring to the semi-final, as was the topic back then. Is it ok to answer your other question tomorrow...send me a pm if you get impatient :D

I wouldn't be fuused at a RC v Raith game, guess i love an underdog is all.

Anyway, can european footie happen at Victoria Park

The topic is named "Scottish Cup Final" and the thread has been about who to support in said final, would you mind also telling me why it is better for me to support a team whom I have viewed as rivals since 1994 and to a lesserl degree previous to that over any other Scottish team? Is it because you hold a more bigoted stance to people from other regions of Scotland? Are you prejudiced against supporters of other teams?

Is it not possible to watch a match as a nuetral? Just to enjoy a good match? To enjoy the spectacle that is a cup final? :blink:

Thats totally up to the individual. I watch many matches not involving my teams in the hope of an entertaining match. But i stop short of going along and cheering one of the teams on!!

It is possible but when you hold feelings towards a certain team due to being berated (in a friendly local rivalry sense) by supporters of one of the teams then it feels all too natural to take glee from their misfortune. In the same kind of way that people were gleeful over Gretna's demise due to feeling being harboured because of the way they bought success, or the old firm because of their success, or Man Utd for the same reason, it's football we all have opinions we have gained these opinions for various reasons and we act upon them.

You know what gets me...is those who are quick to judge my and others controlled rivalry with Ross county, yet they are totally oblivious to their own (apparently) deep seated intollerance to the "Old Firm"

"Let he who casts the first stone"!!

Edited by SMEE

The topic is named "Scottish Cup Final" and the thread has been about who to support in said final, would you mind also telling me why it is better for me to support a team whom I have viewed as rivals since 1994 and to a lesserl degree previous to that over any other Scottish team? Is it because you hold a more bigoted stance to people from other regions of Scotland? Are you prejudiced against supporters of other teams?

:blink: Ok Jean Brodie, dry your eyes! :D

No, i see my hometown as the Highlands and Islands. As such, I'm happy for RC to progress to the final against a Goliath team on 2 counts: they are from my hometown, a natural reaction, one would say...and i love an underdog. There, i've said it.

Not off topic at all, very much on topic. You are off topic this is not a topic on the semi final, it is a topic on the up and coming final.

So you are saying...

The Highlands are a town?

I think I shall have to talk to someone else with a higher intelligence level, you really do make no sense at all!!!

:blink: Ok Jean Brodie, dry your eyes! :D

No, i see my hometown as the Highlands and Islands. As such, I'm happy for RC to progress to the final against a Goliath team on 2 counts: they are from my hometown, a natural reaction, one would say...and i love an underdog. There, i've said it.

Not off topic at all, very much on topic. You are off topic this is not a topic on the semi final, it is a topic on the up and coming final.

So you are saying...

The Highlands are a town?

I think I shall have to talk to someone else with a higher intelligence level, you really do make no sense at all!!!

Ok, well won argument, i'm too thick to talk to you. I make no sense at all. Fair enough.

Anyway, if RC were to win the final, they'd have to play where? Hypothetically speaking?

The way I see it is that it's all about choices. Some choose to wish RC well in the cup final, some don't. Some choose to watch the final with no preference to who wins just to watch football (This is me). We will all have a different outlook regards the match but that does not make us bad ICT supporters. Because you choose to "support" whoever faces RC doesn't make you a better ICT than someone who wishes to "support" RC in this one off match and visa versa. Birdog, you yourself mention that it is since 1994 that you have this hatred for them with a lesser degree before, so all the pre merger talk is irrelevent really. I moved here in 1994 so was not part of the pre merger rivalry but since I have been here I have adopted a friendly rivalry with RC but nothing like the hatred shown on here.

Smee,

"But we can hold our heads up...as we were the ones supporting our local teams when most of the Inverness supporting folk chose not to!"

It must have been lonely with just the 2 of you stood there.

"Im guessing unless you (meaning people in general) grew up in the 70s and 80s actually supporting a local team, you may well struggle with this concept."

That's a bit "holier than thou" mate

"I watch many matches not involving my teams in the hope of an entertaining match"

You support more than one team? How could you?

The way I see it is that it's all about choices. Some choose to wish RC well in the cup final, some don't. Some choose to watch the final with no preference to who wins just to watch football (This is me). We will all have a different outlook regards the match but that does not make us bad ICT supporters. Because you choose to "support" whoever faces RC doesn't make you a better ICT than someone who wishes to "support" RC in this one off match and visa versa. Birdog, you yourself mention that it is since 1994 that you have this hatred for them with a lesser degree before, so all the pre merger talk is irrelevent really. I moved here in 1994 so was not part of the pre merger rivalry but since I have been here I have adopted a friendly rivalry with RC but nothing like the hatred shown on here.

Smee,

"But we can hold our heads up...as we were the ones supporting our local teams when most of the Inverness supporting folk chose not to!"

"Im guessing unless you (meaning people in general) grew up in the 70s and 80s actually supporting a local team, you may well struggle with this concept."

"I watch many matches not involving my teams in the hope of an entertaining match"

I would hardly call it hatred Oz, I married a lass born in Ross-shire of English stock, I hate seeing C*unty being successful as I hate seeing Ingurlund being successful but I hold no hatred towards their support, if I did I think it might just drive me mad living in C*unty country.

This might be sad but I am seriously considering going to the cup final and going in the Dundee Utd/Raith Rovers end :blink: I didn't mind County beating Celtic as long as they never won the cup!

I don't really go along with the good for the Highlands thing, it's good, amazing even for County but I can't see any benifit for ICT at all. More sponorship money will be going into County after this probably and they might even have secured a few more supporters as well who might even start going to games more often. The amount of young kids who are now 'Ross County' fans is slightly annoying though, I work in a school in Inverness and there seemed to be a new County convert everyday after they beat Hibs :D

Smee,

I had credited you with a bit more intelligence Oz. How silly of me! Seems to me, your just another of the ones who like to stir it up! If you havent got the cerebal capacity to take on board whats been said...without viewing it as an attack, thats your look out!

Smee,

I would hardly call it hatred Oz, I married a lass born in Ross-shire of English stock, I hate seeing C*unty being successful as I hate seeing Ingurlund being successful but I hold no hatred towards their support, if I did I think it might just drive me mad living in C*unty country.

"Okay Paisley, I apologise, I don't understand your attitude. County are our rivals, I hate them and most of their fans hate us. It is up to you what you do but like I say I don't understand and it has annoyed me that you have put this in the forum dedicated to ICT when the thread has nothing whatsoever to do with ICT. If you had placed it in the correct forum I would have probably ignored it." Your words mate

Presumably the County lovers here will be transferring their support from Scotland to England this summer? If you are not supporting England, why not?

It's the same logic. Your main team has no chance of glory, so you switch your allegiance to your neighbours, who share a closer cultural and geographical identity than the other participants.

I had credited you with a bit more intelligence Oz. How silly of me! Seems to me, your just another of the ones who like to stir it up! If you havent got the cerebal capacity to take on board whats been said...without viewing it as an attack, thats your look out!

:blink:

Fantastic way to contradict yourself in one sentence.

Smee,

"Okay Paisley, I apologise, I don't understand your attitude. County are our rivals, I hate them and most of their fans hate us. It is up to you what you do but like I say I don't understand and it has annoyed me that you have put this in the forum dedicated to ICT when the thread has nothing whatsoever to do with ICT. If you had placed it in the correct forum I would have probably ignored it." Your words mate

Those are my words, my hate is aimed at the club not the people not individual fans, like Smee says you are just trying to stir it up. I hate the attitude their fans have as a collective but as individuals they are a different entity. As Smee says your cerebral functions may be lacking in ability to comprehend this.