FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

St Mirren - ICT tactics...

Johnboy

So how do they keep this sequence of excellent results going...?  Adopt the Ibrox tactics?

Or the "going for broke" approach with 5 across the middle that blew Falkirk away?  :001:

Hopefully they will bear in mind that they won on Saturday 'cos Russel Latapy is only good for 45 mins.... that half-time fag always finishes him off.... also the fact that there was no one in goal for Falkirk helped a lot...... :015:

Decisions decisions....Who'd be a football team manager......  :006:

You only get luck in football if you are prepared to have a go at the opposition. If we hadn't had a go at Foolkirk on Saturday we wouldn't have found out that they had a crummy keeper.

a bit of both really. if we play like we did against motherwell and soak up their attacks before hitting them on the break. i think the team is in good enough form to win this one comfartably

St Mirrens current place in the table reflects how good a team they are, this wont be an easy game!  In a way St Mirren play a similar game to us, they are very strong defensively and counter quickly.  Tokely will get an earfull of abuse from the St Mirren fans but Bullock the beast will be getting similar treatment from me.  It might be a blessing having Black out the team for this one because it's the sort of game I could see him getting sent off in.  They'll be right up for this I reckon and I hope we bring a good travelling support after our last 2 games because it may make the difference. 

I'd go:

Broonie

Tokely  Dods  Munro  Hastings

Wilson  Hart    McBain    Rankin

Dargo    Bayne

We have good options on the bench for this with Wyness back so would expect to see him on at some point.  Looking forward to this after missing 2 of our best results all season, I'll be there as with the rest of the Ross Tokely Appreciation Society!!  :003: :003: :003:

Guest kingkojak

im a big fan of richie but id put duncan on for the first 45 and give hart a run out for the last 30.. .

id also like to see morgan get a game but the teams doing well just know and its prob best not to do a hearts and change it week in week out. (btw did anyone else see the hearts stat of 55 changes in the last ten games!!!! :010:)

I think the tried and tested method is best, but saying that if I was in charge (god forbid) I would think about:-

Brown

Tokely  Dods  Munro  Hastings

Wilson          Hart          McBain     

Denzil

Dargo    Bayne

Can't really see Rankin getting dropped!

As for 3-5-2, who would you drop from the defence?

Would Roy play wingback?

Would Barry move inside?

Too many questions.

Everyone in this team knows their job, i think it would be a disaster to start messing around with a winning formula.

Guest 1MORESEASONBLACK

St Mirren are a big physical side and i fear (like the first game of the season) Graham Bayne will struggle to win the aerial battle. We need to play it along the ground. Therefore a Denzil and Dargo masterclass combo is what is required. Duncan to do the mopping up in midfield, hopefully Rankins 2 goals will give him confidence to start giving SPL required perfomances. Wilson and McBain on the flanks. The defence speaks for itself.   

St Mirren are a big physical side and i fear (like the first game of the season) Graham Bayne will struggle to win the aerial battle. We need to play it along the ground. Therefore a Denzil and Dargo masterclass combo is what is required. Duncan to do the mopping up in midfield, hopefully Rankins 2 goals will give him confidence to start giving SPL required perfomances. Wilson and McBain on the flanks. The defence speaks for itself.   

honestly mate I'm getting sick of your Bayne bashing... are you Wyness, Wyness' mrs or has Bayne wronged you in some way??? If it is a physical battle we can expect then Bayne is the ideal candidate because he will battle and work for the team.  I have nothing against Wyness but Bayne has done nothing to deserve being dropped and to have the option to bring Wyness on the park for the last 20 minutes of a game is a good one, as shown last Saturday!!

But McGowne realises the importance of lifting themselves for the visit of Caley on Saturday and said: "We've got to put as much into this game as we did against Rangers.

"It's nice playing against the big teams and in front of big crowds. However, it's also vital we put as much into the other game.''

Is he taking the mickey?

Guest 1MORESEASONBLACK

honestly mate I'm getting sick of your Bayne bashing... are you Wyness, Wyness' mrs or has Bayne wronged you in some way??? If it is a physical battle we can expect then Bayne is the ideal candidate because he will battle and work for the team.  I have nothing against Wyness but Bayne has done nothing to deserve being dropped and to have the option to bring Wyness on the park for the last 20 minutes of a game is a good one, as shown last Saturday!!

Look i am not bayne bashing ... I just think that he is not the finished article as a striker and the team see the long ball as an easy option when he is playing. And in all fairness the balls he does win to not lead to anything significant. The boys work rate is tremendous he gets in about defenders but nothing substantial comes from it (except for that glorious strike at IBROX, and for me he will be forever a legend for that goal.

in all fairness if Dargo picked up 1 or 2 of his head flicks then it would lead to something significant.... partnerships take time and I think Bayne and Dargo could be one for the future

Wyness can ruffle defences with skill and trickery, makes intelligent runs , delights with intelligent through balls to Dargo, and Dargo with the proper service will score goals.

All I can say players will eventually find their level just like Brian Prunty.

I have, and always will be one of Wyness' biggest fans but he was poor playing upfront with Dargo before his injury and with Bayne playing well he is going to have work extremely hard in training to dislodge him from the first team.  Bayne has showed so far this season that he is at SPL level and with his height he is a lot more use to the team than Prunty was...

PS I would like nothing more for Bayne to prove the doubters wrong by getting into double figures or surpassing Dargo's achievement last season.

You seem to be the only one that is doubting him and he is not going to be able get into double figures if he is sitting on the bench!!!

Guest 1MORESEASONBLACK

in all fairness if Dargo picked up 1 or 2 of his head flicks then it would lead to something significant.... partnerships take time and I think Bayne and Dargo could be one for the future

The Wyness/ Dargo partnership is more effective. Anyway Dargo will be gone by the end of the season so we will never know. Dargo makes intelligent runs maybe some time to intelligent for some!

I have, and always will be one of Wyness' biggest fans but he was poor playing upfront with Dargo before his injury and with Bayne playing well he is going to have work extremely hard in training to dislodge him from the first team.  Bayne has showed so far this season that he is at SPL level and with his height he is a lot more use to the team than Prunty was...

Wyness was inspirational in our comeback against Falkirk - and should definitely be given a chance from the start. As far as I can remember Prunty did not gate many starts for ICT - I reckon his goals per minutes played ratio are probably very similar to Bayne's - he to scored at Ibrox.

You seem to be the only one that is doubting him and he is not going to be able get into double figures if he is sitting on the bench!!!

In fairness i am not the only on who is doubting him as an accomplished SPL player ..... people from his homeland in Fife/Tayside also say the same. Nobody can take away from him his work rate. effort and commitment but he'll never provide the service that will enable Dargoals to score as many goals as last season and he hasnt that killer instinct in the box to grab himself that many goals either. Sorry.

The Wyness/ Dargo partnership is more effective.

We are unbeaten in the last 6 games with Bayne & Dargo upfront, I like those odds!

Wyness was inspirational in our comeback against Falkirk - and should definitely be given a chance from the start. As far as I can remember Prunty did not gate many starts for ICT - I reckon his goals per minutes played ratio are probably very similar to Bayne's - he to scored at Ibrox.

I wasn't at the game but did Wyness not play in behind Bayne & Dargo? I think in our home games Christie might end up experimenting with 3 upfront in a similar formation.  Bayne is a forward while Prunty was a striker, Bayne is on the pitch to provide for Dargo and to grab the odd goal if he can.

Nobody can take away from him his work rate. effort and commitment but he'll never provide the service that will enable Dargoals to score as many goals as last season and he hasnt that killer instinct in the box to grab himself that many goals either. Sorry.

Dargo has scored more goals this season than he did at this point last term and Bayne has already showed killer instinct in slotting that goal away against Rangers... I can't see us agreeing on this but you are too quick to want him out the team when his performances don't justify being dropped IMO...

Play the classic away game tactics, theres no reason not to go there without being confident of at least keeping the unbeaton run going.

Message to the team; do it for yourselves do it for the fans another win would be verging on a class month.

Macca

Bayne needs to start as we are almost certainly going to play our long ball/counter attack style of play. Personally I hate it but you can't argue with results. I would expect us to sit in and let Mirren come at us. When we repel the attacks the ball will be moved quickly up front to Dargo (to chase) or Bayne (to hold up).

St. Mirrens central defence has a combined age of about 300 so Dargos pace will be an asset. We will need to get the ball forward quickly and if possible in behind the back 3 of Saints. Broadfoot is another whom we should look to exploit. He is normally solid but has been responsible for some mistakes that have cost Saints this season. We need Wilson to get right on him as much as possible and Bayne can play a role here. If he can hold the ball coming out of defence and lay it off to Wilson, he could run at Broadfoot and hopefully get past him and feed in Dargo to run in behind the defence. Quite specific but I think quick breaks and pace will be key to this one.

Stick with the tried and tested 4 - 4 - 2 for this one...

Brown

Tokley Dods Munro Hastings

Wilson Duncan Rankin McBain

Dargo Bayne

With Duncan possibly coming in Rankin will be free to move forward in a style similar to what occurred at County where Cowie allowed Rankin the freedom of the pitch by doing the dirty defending work. It can be the same here.