FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Asian Cup Finals - Qatar

I have been to quite a few games so far and I have to say the organization of the tournament has been pretty good after previous debacles over the last few domestic seasons with events such as the Emir's Cup Final where having a ticket didn't even ensure you entry to the ground.

I think they have learnt from the security, access, crowd control etc from the recent high profile England v Brazil and Argentina v Brazil friendlies and one thing they are good at here is learning quickly how to manage these type of events. Yes - they have the major tennis and golf tournaments established here now but the crowds are not of the same magnitude and not multi-location as with a football event such as a major finals (and yes I know the Asian Cup Finals are not of the same magnitude as a world cup but it gives you an indication of how things will go in 11 years time :biggrin: ).

Now these are also the old stadiums which will be basically getting pulled down and rebuilt for the 2022 event so the new stadiums will have even better access and associated facilities (rail transport network to the grounds etc) but the tournament has been good so far and the stadiums (and city wide stadium signage etc) have had the look of what you get at any other major tournament (Euros/World etc). Many of the current stadiums though are pretty modern and would be appreciated by many a SPL club. When it comes to the World Cup there will be issues with having so many fans in the country at the same time etc but from a basic match organization stance they are on the right track.

And on the subject of the weather it has been freezing in the evening at some of the matches (and by Qatar standards that means fleece and scarf weather) and for the last two days we have had torrential rain so there is a lot of flooding around the country - I guess it is just something else that Herr Beckenbaur et al didn't think about when they said that you can just switch the tournament to winter (i.e. January). The opening events of the Asian Games in 2006 were a bit of a wash out due to the bad weather so yes it can reach 50 deg C here in the summer but there also problems with playing a tournament in January.

Anyway onto the football - after an opening game defeat to Uzbekistan Qatar have beaten China 2-0 and Kuwait 3-0 to progress to a QF game against Japan. Last night both Australia and South Korea progressed to the QFs also and the weekends games at Al Gharafa between the two teams was a 1-1 draw and not a bad match with the South Koreans looking like a fairly decent team.

Latest Tables are located here:

Asian Cup (AFC) Website

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back
  • Agree 1

Well, I am, ta.

Games on tonight on TV here, should be good, though the refereeing has been nothing short of corrupt. I'd fancy Japan to win this, scoring boots are on, and with Zaccheroni they will be able to get past tougher games against Korea or Iran next and prob meet Australia in the final.

Must be perfect weather out there now - good for a World Cup even?

Weather has been not too bad - quite cold (and wet) for some of the evening games though.

Off to the Australia game this afternoon and the South Korean game this evening - one hour dash between the stadiums to make the second kick-off :rolleyes:

Japan do have a good chance to win this and expect to see them joined by Australia and South Korea in the Semis - sad thing is those 3 teams and Uzbekistan I am afraid would be too good for the current Scotland team :angry:

QF3 Iraq 0 Australia 1 (aet) - a Harry Kewell goal with 2 mins of et left settled it. Have to say it was one of the best football matches I have seen in a long time. Both teams went for it and I was impressed by Iraq who played really well. In QF4 South Korea beat Iran 1-0 also after et.

Semi-Final line up is:

Japan v South Korea

Uzbekistan v Australia

• Agree 1

Good semi-finals, could go either way...

Australia will need to put more of their chances away, prob be best putting in crosses. Japan really need to defend better, and get rid of their awful 2nd choice golaie, trying to do his job from behind the goalline - never seen that before!! ...South Korea seem to be struggling, good wing play but nothing else, and then Uzbekistan, solid, no frills, good short-passing team. Whoever makes it to the final it will be close, evenly matched teams all 4.

Cold, wet, in Qatar, in winter? Move it to winter Sepp, we may have a chance!!

The semi-finals were played yesterday:

Al Gahrafa Stadium - Japan 2 South Korea 2 (aet) - Japan won 3-0 on penalties - att. 16,171

In a close game it looked like Japan had edged it until South Korea snatched a last minute equalizer in extra time. Japan then won comfortably in the penalty shoot out to deny South Korea the opportunity to win the tournament for a third time. Celtic's Cha Du-Ri has been playing in this tournament and hasn't looked too bad a player. With the rebuilding planned for the South Korean team the 3rd/4th play-off on Friday may possibly be Park Ji-Sung's last game for the national side. Last night's game was his 100th international appearance.

Khalifa Stadium - Uzbekistan 0 Australia 6 - att. 24,826

This was a surprise result with Australia running out winners by such a big margin as Uzbekistan had played well throughout the tournament but injuries to two players in their quarter-final match appeared to hamper the teams performance. Kewell scored for the second match in a row (this time in the 5th minute) to settle Australia and they went in at half time 2-0 up. Australia got a third half way through the second half and following that Uzbekistan went down to 10 men effectively ending the game. Saturday will be Australia's first Asian Cup Final appearance. Their first appearance 4 years ago ended in defeat to Saturday's opponent Japan at the Quarter Final stage.

The final between Japan and Australia is to be played on Saturday 29th January at Kahalifa International Stadium - hopefully it will be a good match with a lot of goals.

Japan beat Australia 1-0 aet at Khalifa International stadium in the Final in front of a crowd of over 37,000. Australia had several chances to win this match but several good saves from the Japanese keeper and misses from Harry Kewell meant a well executed 108th minute left foot volley from Lee sealed it for Japan. Japan have now won a record 4 titles - in fact more incredible when you see that it is also 4 out of the last 6.

In Friday's match at Al Sadd stadium South Korea beat Uzbekistan 3-2 to claim 3rd spot.

Final Placings:

1st - Japan

2nd - Australia

3rd - South Korea

Fair Play Trophy - South Korea

Those three have all qualified for the next tournament which will be held in Australia in 2005.

Well done Japan in what has been a good tournament.