FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Highland Football Academy

old caley girl

Does anyone know why/how the Highland Football Academy came to live in Dingwall? In the Sun today Roy MacGregor states that he is not jealous of our success and that they decided to focus on youth development and that is why they have the academy in Dingwall. Just wondered if this is correct?

Absolute tosh.

It was a political decision to base the HFA in Dingwall which was made easier by the inability of Inverness to put together a package everyone could agree on. As is the case in much of our past certain people were more worried about what others may or may not get out of any deal hence Dingwall slipped right up the middle. Sad really (although great for County and people out there). The Charleston set up was just a token gesture to try to pacify people.

MacGregor is talking nonsense about County's commitment to youth. This should be rephrased as County's commitment to cash. The much heralded RCFC youth programme has benefited from significant public sector cash over the years to fund coaches who then go and provide sessions for a 'nominal fee'. The club kept (still do as far as I'm aware) all this income. As part of being 'social inclsuive' the programme is open to anyone of any ability. Put another way,it doesn't matter how good you are as long as you pay you are welcome! Any youth product that has come through the County system has nothing to do with their Kids Make Cash programme but a result of a decent scouting network (e.g. MacKay Steven) or family ties (e.g. Alex Cooper).

The focus on youth development is a focus on parents cash.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Don't think that's what he meant sorry. I read the article in the paper so cant post link but it may be online.

The way I interpreted it was he was saying he aint jealous of ICT as County have opted to focus on youth development (as opposed to ICT) and that is the reason the academy is in Dingwal. i.e. he was having a pop at ICT.

• Agree 1

Don't think that's what he meant sorry. I read the article in the paper so cant post link but it may be online.

The way I interpreted it was he was saying he aint jealous of ICT as County have opted to focus on youth development (as opposed to ICT) and that is the reason the academy is in Dingwal. i.e. he was having a pop at ICT.

Thate EXACTLY what I thought too !!!

What a joke. The HFA is no more an academy than a fly in the air. The Dingwall facility is used as much by County and ICT for first team winter sessions as it is by Youth. Even at nights in winter, SHFL, Junior and North Caley league teams use the facility regularly. The term "Academy" had to be used to get grant money. When this all started, our current Board weren't proactive or interested enough to be a major player so we were left with the dregs. As it turns out, I don't think we are missing much - facilities don't make SPL players (although it probably helps) - basic infastructure and QUALITY coaching does.