FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Worried about striking options?

MichaelICT

Dont know about you but i'm a bit worried about our striking options as we only seem to have one capable striker and he only gets a goal every 3 to 4 games.  It looks like the midfield is the way to goal , Wilson and Rankin seem to be our only options.  :024:

we only seem to have one capable striker and he only gets a goal every 3 to 4 games

... and he hasnt scored in the last 3 games so he's due one !!!!!

.... I BELIEVE ....

McAllister has been getting himself into plenty of goal scoring positions, it's only a matter of time until he starts hitting the net. Were Craig Dargo, Graeme Bayne and Dennis Wyness as good as he is when they were his age? I don't think so. It'd be ridiculous to expect him to be playing at their level at this stage in his development. Wyness, Dargo, Bayne and Rankin didn't all exactly 'hit the ground running' when they started out for us, but look at them now.

Orthodox football theory says that ideally you want a 'big man - small man' partnership up front. Perhaps that's where we're going wrong at the moment, we're playing with two big men.  :024: ??? The simplest solution might be to bring in Gary McSwegan for either Bayne or McAllister. Alternatively we could play Richie Hart or Barry Wilson up front, both are the kind of players who could fill the 'run off' striker role, and of course - both know where the net is.

The most important thing is that we don't resort to long ball tactics against the Tims, that'd be playing to their strengths, and wouldn't really test their legs, which is surely what we ought to be doing given the fact that they've just played 90 minutes against AC Milan.

Zander isn't the right option as he is a winger , is a raw talent and gives away stupid penalties. I hate to say it but we are better of playing Rory and Gary. We can always play Markus as he was known at Cowdenbeath to play as striker. Sadly not tomorrow as he's cup-tied. :shooting05: :steward:.

Good point Bonzo.  I just checked this when those three scored their first top flight league goal.

WYNESS 21   DARGO 22 and BAYNE 25.   They all played SPL football in their teens and never scored.

McAllister has scored and is still 19.   

I do actually agree with your points Strathman, Rory is young and has done more than the aforementioned 3 in his short career.

However I'm sure Bayne would have scored whilst with Dundee as a 20/21 year old and I'm fairly sure that Dargo didn't get a shot of SPL football until he was about 22/23 at Killie.

I do actually agree with your points Strathman, Rory is young and has done more than the aforementioned 3 in his short career.

However I'm sure Bayne would have scored whilst with Dundee as a 20/21 year old

Nope

Yep.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Just checked my football League review, Bayne scored in Feb23 '00  v. Aberdeen, whilst 20.

However I'm sure Bayne would have scored whilst with Dundee as a 20/21 year old

Nope

Yep.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Just checked my football League review, Bayne scored in Feb23 '00  v. Aberdeen, whilst 20.

Strange one this - Soccerbase does have him listed as scoring that day, but he's not included in the team line-up

Clicky Clicky

Hmm, they seem to have missed his appearence but credited his goal  :007:

Must just be a mistake 'cause they've only named 4 Dundee subs against Aberdeen's 5.

The SFL review has him down as being a used sub and scoring.  :021: