Argentina at Hampden 1979

Tichy_Blacks_Back

With Maradona's first competitive game against Scotland coming up it brings back distant memories as I was there the night he scored his first competitive goal for Argentina. The Scotland v Argentina game in 1979 was in fact the first Scotland game I went to and I remember sitting in the front row of the old main stand - compared to Kingsmills Park it seemed enormous :rotflmao:

1078527.jpg

The Scotland team on that night was:

Rough (Wood, 46)

Burley

Munro

Narey

Hegarty

Hansen

McGarvey

Wark

Dalglish ?

Hartford (Gray F, 70)

Graham

Manager: Jock Stein

Crowd: 61,918

Scotland 1 Argentina 3

Interestingly our record against Argentina is W1 D1 L1

Source: BBC Sport

Diego Maradona plans to visit England this weekend to meet Argentine players before his likely debut as coach in next month's friendly against Scotland.

The 48-year-old will fly in to see Manchester United's Carlos Tevez and Liverpool's Javier Mascherano who could play against Hull and Spurs.

Maradona's appointment is expected to be confirmed by the Argentina Football Association on Tuesday.

The team is due to play Scotland at Hampden Park on 19 November.

"I will travel to England on Saturday to see Tevez and Mascherano," the 48-year-old said. "And in Scotland I will make my debut."

"We are going to play the game against Scotland with the best team we've got," he added.

"I really never expected this although I always dreamed of having the chance."

Maradona, who has had two brief spells as a club coach in Argentina, scored his first goal for Argentina in their 3-1 friendly win over Scotland at Hampden in 1979.

It's changed a bit:

l_5d7f5192b026b3b98240e8a5a1c82d6c.jpg

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

My first Scotland game was 1973:

Scotland 2 Czechoslovakia 1, the famous World Cup qualifier.

Roughie gifted a goal to ?Nehoda then Holton equalised. Jordan scored a diving header from a Bremner cross and we all suffocated in the dust that got kicked up in those days before the Rangers end got concreted.

Edited by The Mantis

The Scotland v Argentina game in 1979 was in fact the first Scotland game I went to and I remember sitting in the front row of the old main stand - compared to Kingsmills Park it seemed enormous

Yes it would... especially after Jock had the back of the Kingsmills stand boarded up to reduce the capacity below the need to comply with the Taylor Report!

I was at the game in 79. It was a hot Saturday afternoon and I had heard that they were going to play a kid against us, who had torn the French apart in Paris a couple of nights earlier. The kid had appeared at the previous world cup as half-time entertainment, keeping the ball up in the air for the duration of half time with his brothers.

Maradona stole the show that day, I have never seen the opposition leave Hampden park to a standing ovation and I doubt if I ever will again. I still have the match programme. Simply an unforgettable day.

SCOTLANDvARGENTINA3rdJuly1979.jpg

My first Scotland game was 1973:

Scotland 2 Czechoslovakia 1, the famous World Cup qualifier.

Roughie gifted a goal to ?Nehoda then Holton equalised. Jordan scored a diving header from a Bremner cross and we all suffocated in the dust that got kicked up in those days before the Rangers end got concreted.

It was Ally Hunter of Celtic who was in nets that day.

Dont think Roughie made his Scotland debut until 1976/77.

Edited by DALNEIGHCALEY

Aye rite enuff DC. I had a feeling something wasnae right. Actually Roughie is imprinted on my memory for other clangers such as dropping it at Krankl's feet.....

The biggest howler I saw though was when Donnachie passed it back to Jim Blyth with 3 mins to go against Wales. We were up 1-0 and Wales had hardly caused us any bother so Blythie decided he would come out for a wander :rotflmao: